NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-26-2020, 03:43 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Things you didn't know about the Post Office

Since most of the Post Office threads lately have been about problems, I thought I would expand everyone's knowledge of Postal Operations. I would bet that the new Postmaster General doesn't have a clue about these items.

Here are some things that you probably don’t know about the Post Office, even some of you Postal employees who work in the city won’t know this.

I live in a small city of 3000, and our local Post Office also serves another 2000 rural customers, many of whom are farmers, so out here in the boondocks, we deal with several types of deliveries that many larger PO’s don’t ever see. Here we go:

Baby chicks: when I walk into work in the morning, I sometimes hear “cheep, cheep, cheep”. No, it isn’t my employees describing me. It is the sound of baby chicks. They come from another state, usually 50 or so in a large flat box, and we often receive several boxes of them at a time. Usually, the truck that brings them to us has them riding in the cab, with the AC turned on, to help them survive. By the time we get them, they are hungry and thirsty, so there were many times when I personally drove out into the country to deliver them. Sometimes when we received them, several were dead, and the smell was bad.

We also receive baby pheasants, baby quail, and baby ducks and geese.

Live crickets: this occurs mostly during the ice fishing season. The local bait shops order crickets and several types of worms through the mail, and we deliver them to the local businesses. We are very careful about temperature control, and we generally call the bait shop so they can come in and pick them up. Yes, the crickets can be very noisy. The worms are polite and quiet.

Full grown roosters and chickens: There are several groups around the county who raise rare and expensive roosters and chickens. They take them to county fairs, and poultry shows and competitions. They buy and sell them, and send them through the mail. Some of them are worth several thousand dollars, so when we receive one, we give it the VIP treatment. We also receive full grown ducks and geese.

Bees: Bees are a big industry, and we transport many bees through the mail. The queens arrive in a small wooden box, with the box being a little smaller than a pack of cigarettes. The queens are expensive, so we need to treat them well. We also receive wooden crates, usually about 15” square, with wire on the open sides. There are 1000’s of bees inside of this wire box, and if they wanted to, they could easily escape, but there is a queen deep inside the box, so the worker bees stay right with the queen. Many times, local bees will attach themselves to the hive during transportation. We generally call the customer to come and pick them up, because it could be dangerous to put them in the carrier's car for delivery.

Also, for the bait shops, we occasionally receive live frogs and lizards, but we don’t receive a lot of them.

Rick - retired Postmaster

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:17 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Cool stuff. My local post office a few years ago in No. NJ had a great guy who worked at the counter who was a big animal lover. He told me about the chicks and chickens, and was really broken up whenever animals didn't make it. He did not mention bees though.....
Old 08-27-2020, 07:22 PM

I picked up 55 baby chicks this morning at my local post office in Rhode Island. They shipped from from IA the evening of the 25th.

About a day and a half total travel time, and not a single chick died. I'm pretty pleased with that.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:43 PM
Bobw

My station here in NYC had the occasional critters and the carrier supervisor would immediately get one of the Parcel Post drivers to deliver it....she didn't want to read in the papers how the PO killed them !!

Bob...retired 2 yrs. after 40 1/2
Old 09-03-2020, 04:14 PM
St@n Go.len

Wow. I had no idea.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2020, 07:22 AM
Banned

Neither did I.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:49 PM
Steve Birmingham

Last time I checked, if you were an antivenin lab mailing to another antivenin lab and labeled the box a particular way it was allowed to mail live scorpions.