NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 07-18-2020, 01:11 PM
John

Default Does anyone know the answer?

For many years I've wondered why Topps, Fleer and Philadelphia each issued the football card sets that they did in the 1960's.

After buying out Bowman, Topps had a monopoly on football cards and the NFL was the only "major" American football league. Then, in 1960, the AFL is created to compete with the NFL. One would have assumed that Topps would have made football cards of both leagues, but apparently opted to only make an NFL set, while Fleer, which had never been a real player in the sports card market, steps up and makes an AFL football set.

The following year, both companies put out football sets that included both the AFL and the NFL. The next two years, 1962 and 1963, Topps went back to making NFL only sets and Fleer made AFL only sets.

Then suddenly, in 1964, Topps flips over to making AFL only football sets and a small, almost unknown gum company, Philadelphia, steps into the vacuum and produces NFL only sets. This arrangement lasts for four seasons, 1964 through 1967.

In 1968, the AFL and NFL merge into the singular NFL. The Philadelphia Gum Co. fades into sports card oblivion and Topps becomes the only company making football cards.

The questions I have are why would Topps allow Fleer to cut into their football card market when the AFL was created? Historically, Topps was very protective of it's market. Why not make football card sets of both leagues and shut Fleer out of the market entirely?

Second, since Topps dominated the sports card market, why would they end up making card sets of the AFL, beginning in 1964, while newcomer Philadelphia made card sets of the older, and presumably more popular, NFL? One would assume that Topps could have had their choice of which league to associate with. Why not stick with the NFL and force Philadelphia into making cards of the "inferior" AFL? Better still, why not just start making sets of both leagues in 1960 and continue to do so until the merger in 1968?

I've never been able to find any information on this subject. Does anybody know anything about this?
Old 07-18-2020, 05:23 PM

I'm guessing this was a licensing issue, but I have always wondered the same thing. I hope someone knows the answer.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:52 AM
John

I found an article online that mentions in passing that Topps held the NFL license from 1956 through 1963 and that it hadn't been renewed, allowing Philadelphia to pick it up from 1964 through 1967. There was no explanation as to why Topps would allow the contract to expire without renewing it.

It probably came down to money, as usual, but Philadelphia was able to pony up the cash, so why couldn't Topps?

And why Philadelphia? They were essentially unknown in the trading card market, yet they are able to swing a four year contract with the NFL. Why not Fleer or Leaf, both of which had a much bigger presence in the trading card market?