NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-18-2020, 07:44 AM

Default 1996 score board Kobe Bryant auto - why is this card so cheap??!!

Hi everyone,

I just bought this card for $400 (that’s roughly the going price for these). My question for the group is, why isn’t this card A LOT more expensive??!! This is an autographed Kobe Brian rookie for $400 - that just sounds so cheep to me, so i am concerned that there’s something I’m missing or don’t know about this set that would be keeping the prices down??

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0259F7EC-1668-4F72-BC5D-10C570442A1E.jpg (8.2 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 34D927E9-339B-4810-9DC9-AB06334C22CF.jpg (7.7 KB, 226 views)
Old 08-18-2020, 09:04 AM

My guess is because it's not really part of a recognized major set. It's like the 4 sport classic cards.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:50 AM
David M.

There are a couple of reasons. The first being that none of the Score Board cards are in the recognized PSA Registry Set. Cards that are part of the PSA Registry will always sell better and for more money than cards that aren't part of the recognized set.

David Maupin

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 08-19-2020 at 06:16 PM. Reason: To add full name and delete final paragraph
Old 08-19-2020, 06:24 AM

David M,
Thanks for your reply and insights on this. I knew i would get a good answer here!! So you’re saying there is a good chance that the sig is fake? Have there been any investigation or confirmed data on what sigs are legit vs fake? Curious if anyone had sent in a card to get graded and had the sit denies as not being authentic.

Anyway, thank you again!!
DZ
Old 08-19-2020, 08:23 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I do not think these Kobe autos are fake. The only major basketball ones i'm aware of that the player regularly had his family sign for him are Shaquille O'Neal.
They're just saying the company reputation sucks, because this company regularly certifies bad autographs when they were authenticating them from scratch, or doing it to their own stock of in house signed items that were counterfeit. So even if yours are real, the company distrust is high enough it affects the value.

Are we even sure it's the same Score Board company? I thought the were a few that had that name or a slight derivative operating at the same time... also, you might PM Leon to have him move this to the basketball forum.

If you want more responses, you should also try blowout's basketball forum.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 08-19-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:37 AM

Delete

Last edited by packs; 08-19-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:19 AM
Frank Hay-zer

It's a pretty good question! I assumed these were from 1997-98 due to the fact that Kobe has a Lakers jersey on (Scoreboard rookie players usually have a High School or College Jersey on) but I looked up the 1997-98 draft class to the best of my memory and can't find a Duncan, Van Horn, Billups, McGrady - I even looked up Jaqcue Vaugn, and can't find anything from them on this series. Only Kobe and Jermaine O'Neal.

This might be an undervalued card but the 1997 date on the back of the card still scares me; at the very least it's still a 'supplement' type card.
Old 08-19-2020, 01:53 PM
David M.

I really don't know if the Score Board cards have fake signatures or not. I'm certainly no autograph expert. I don't even know for sure it's the same Score Board company. I always assumed it was, but maybe not. Anyway, here are some Panini provided Kobe signatures (later in his career) for a comparison.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 08-19-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

This is an example of the 'trash' Score Board product:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-19-2020, 04:01 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Ah, so yes, same company. Logo matches.

Correction: Ken Goldin has the correct information that the Score Board logo was used by other companies (as I thought I remembered) to sell counterfeits, not affiliated with him.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 08-19-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:03 PM

I find this whole thread very offensive, especially since
1. i am a known member on this forum, and i read and monitor it, and PMs and anyone with a question can email me
2. this topic has been addressed previously, ON THIS VERY FORUM, our resident autograph expert Chris Williams who has helped the FBI with auto fraud cases has chimed in.

In general to score board, after the company went bankrupt in 1998, Tony Podsada (yes THAT Tony Podsada)...
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=258169
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ny-autographs/

...produced FAKE score board COAs and starting putting them with Bad items. They did this for literally 100,000+ items, maybe millions, therefore and unfortunately rendering all the legitimate stuff score board put out over the years questionable, and needing a TPA if it is going to be sold.

As an example, Specific to KOBE BRYANT
if you wish, go to this link and READ
https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...8/585/1553511/

if you wish to save time, i have the key portion listed below. HOWEVER, SB had 32,500 autographs from Kobe at $2 per autograph! yes $2 per. if you have 32.500 autos to use for $2 why would you forge? and a publicly held company doing $110 million per year as well with a Nasdaq National listing?
Use your heads, this is insulting, and anyone in the thread who made comments is duly noted.
below are some background info , links and the docs from the Kobe Bryant case showing he had a contract to sign 32,500 autos AT ONLY $2 PER SIGNATURE , of which under 15,000 were used in 1998 when company went under...finally, is a post from me 8 YEARS AGO on net 54, addressing this very topic. i hope this ends all discussion and i hope those posting in this thread that made insulting comments regarding this edit or delete those.
thank you
Ken Goldin

here are some threads on NET54 discussing him, and the fact that he faked autos and counterfeited certs
https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...h+certificates

in early July 1996, after the above negotiations, Debtor prepared and forwarded a signed written licensing agreement ("agreement") to Bryant. The agreement granted Debtor the right to produce licensed products, such as trading cards, with Bryant's image. Bryant was obligated to make two personal appearances on behalf of Debtor and provide between a minimum of 15,000 and a maximum of 32,500 autographs. Bryant was to receive a $2.00 stipend for each autograph, after the first 7,500. Under the agreement, Bryant could receive a maximum of $75,000 for the autographs.
8-09-2012, 03:04 PM
kengoldin kengoldin is offlineKen Goldin

1. Score Board inc(SB) and autographs. SB was the first company to mass market sports autographs, and to sign athletes to long term deals. All autographs signed for SB were witnessed and affidavits were signed by the athletes attesting to the fact they personally signed xx items on xx date. Each item came with a certificate of authenticity from SB. at the time (1989) this was a revolution in the industry, and put autographed memorabilia on the TV shopping networks, JC penny catalog, Sharper Image, Sams clubs, and more.
Unfortunately, the technology back then was not where it was in the late 90s to today. There were instances of customers from QVC and elsewhere taking a fake autograph, coupling it with a real cert, and trying to sell it as authentic with a SB cert. SB went after these people when brought to its attention and I have articles from 20 years ago in my possession talking about this.
In addition, there were instances of people, while SB was still in business, counterfeiting SB certs and trying to pass off fake autographs and fake SB certs as real certs. Again, there are court cases to this effect and I have articles on how SB busted people with uncut sheets of fake SB certs at the printer.
Around 92-93 to combat these problems SB started marking its autographed items with a mark that was detectable under UV light. In addition, it began to mark its certs with a hidden water mark as well. 100% of the certs that are REAL and have the name 'ken goldin' have this mark. If it does not have the mark, and has the facsimile of Ken goldin, it is a fake cert. SB did not publicize this fact because it wanted to stay 1 step ahead of the forgers. It told its customers but did not point out where the water mark was, or what it was. I have , however, made dealers and press (example an interview i did with TJ Schwartz 2 years ago where he mentioned that SB certs and items were marked...but did not mention where or how) are of this.

Once SB filed for bankruptcy in April 1998, and once they ceased operations totally in 1999, there have been a flood of fake autographs and fake SB certs hitting the markets. The forgers, with the knowledge there is no one to sue them or go after them, have used what good will the SB had left in the autograph industry, to sell their fake items with a fake SB cert on the unsuspecting buyer.

I have spent the past 10 years working law enforcement and hobby members to police the industry of these forgeries. I have worked with others in the industry to try to make people aware of fakes, clean up EBAY, as well keep people informed of what an athlete signed under his SB contract. I have personally contacted well over 200 EBAY sellers DIRECTLY with respect to an item that they are selling with an SB cert that I know is fake, or in many cases was not even an item that the athlete signed under his contract (ie: Mickey mantle never signed a single bat for SB, not even ONE for me personally...and i asked him!). It is very sad to me that some newer collectors are sold an autograph item with a Sb cert, find out from PSA or JSA it is no good, and then mistakenly think SB sold fake autographs. The fact is, the cert is likely NOT a real SB cert, and the item is not an SB item.
I am happy to make myself available to members of this community to send me images or ask me questions about athlete contracts and who signed what and make educated purchase decisions. As a result of all this, it is imperative that if you want to re sell anything with a supposed SB cert, you pretty much need to go to JSA or PSA, unless you are selling to experts like Mill Creek who trust their own judgement
Old 08-19-2020, 05:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Ken, your post is contradictory. On the one hand you say a forger:

"produced FAKE score board COAs and starting putting them with Bad items. They did this for literally 100,000+ items, maybe millions, therefore and unfortunately rendering all the legitimate stuff score board put out over the years questionable, and needing a TPA if it is going to be sold"

Yet you consider it "insulting" that people question the Score Board brand. What you have done is reinforce the fact that buying a Score Board product is a risk.

Lemme ask it straight, since you are reading: The Fleer Metal Kobe I posted, is that a genuine Score Board signed item or one of the fakes? Or is it one where you cannot tell?

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-19-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:25 PM

The Fleer Metal card was NOT produced by Score Board
if it is being marketed with a SB COA the SB COA is fake
also, a large portion of that post from me was a repost from 2012

I agree, if you see a SB item with a SB COA, SADLY, you CANNOT BUY IT without a TPA. end of story.
HOWEVER, this is a result of mass production of fake LOAs, as opposed to
what this poster said. He stated "Score Board started producing fakes" and "Score Board selling forged signatures"
This has been proven to be caused by Podsada and others counterfeiting SB certs.
below is an email i literally got yesterday from Christopher Williams (well know auto Net54 member)
BELOW THAT is the original post from David Maupin that i am referring to as offensive (and wrong) (removed as he removed it)

Hi Ken,

I hope all finds you well.

I just posted a thread on the below seller and his forged Jeter.

This guy is producing his own ":Scoreboard" COAs.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item...tme_71&_sop=16

Chris

Last edited by Goldin Auctions; 08-19-2020 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:13 PM
David M.

As I said Chris, I'm not an autograph expert, so I can't give any kind of educated opinion on whether the autograph in question is real or fake. The part of my post you took offense to, I can delete, but you've already copied it and posted it as part of your post, and I can't delete that.

I have collected Kobe rookie cards, and have avoided the cards that weren't recognized by PSA as part of the Kobe rookie registry. I guess I should have stopped there, and let others who know more about Score Board explain what drives prices on these items.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:16 PM

David
It’s Ken
Delete it and I’ll remove from post
No interest in having that on internet
Old 08-26-2020, 10:35 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

So to clarify things, Ken, should we assume that anything Score Board is bad unless we have a TPG blessing with it? For example, this form of signed card:

Or not...