NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 10-19-2020, 12:38 PM

Default At what level should I set my expectations

OK, a good friend of mine just dropped of this card for me to try and sell for him at our local show on Sat..
I honestly do not know what value I should expect to get for the card for him.So for all you grading experts
and people that buy and sell a lot,PLMK your thoughts on what I should expect to get for this card in a straight
sale with no trading. PLMK your thoughts.Thanks.

Last edited by camaro69; 10-19-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:08 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Go here and price it:

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-20-2020, 02:25 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Search Google, Ebay and etc
Old 10-20-2020, 06:46 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

according to VCP data,
the average PSA 8 over the last year was about $350 (4 sales).

Since your card is OC, I would compare it to a 7:
the average PSA 7 over the last year was about $230 (4 sales), with most recent sale in July at $259.

I would think you can offer it at $230 and should be easily able to get $200+
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 10-20-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
according to VCP data,
the average PSA 8 over the last year was about $350 (4 sales).

Since your card is OC, I would compare it to a 7:
the average PSA 7 over the last year was about $230 (4 sales), with most recent sale in July at $259.

I would think you can offer it at $230 and should be easily able to get $200+

Is this VCP data base the same think that was provided to me by Exhibitman
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices If so how current is there list of complete sales.Seems like a few of the more current sales are higher then they have listed there.I guess what I will do is take it to the show and see if there is any interest in it and if so then start a negotiation with the buyer.I guess the worst that can happen is I have to bring it back home. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:39 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

it's the same data. difference is that VCP also has BVG and SGC sale prices, although I did not even look at those.

the card as a PSA 7 has only 4 sales in the last 12 months. Sure, $259 is the last and the highest, but that does not mean a buyer will pay that now. As a buyer, I usually look at the last few sales and cap myself at the average. If i had this card, I would put a sticker $230 or $240 on it, but would take less.

but there is no science here, its like selling anything. the most important thing is what you are willing to let it go for and how long do you want to take to sell it.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Monster #236
Old 10-20-2020, 08:43 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Also, I should add -

i am looking at PSA 7s because that would be the comp for me personally, but i usually don't touch off-centered cards.

Someone may not discount the OC modifier as much and would be happy to take a small discount to an 8.

So you might want to start higher...

Monster #236
Old 10-20-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
it's the same data. difference is that VCP also has BVG and SGC sale prices, although I did not even look at those.

the card as a PSA 7 has only 4 sales in the last 12 months. Sure, $259 is the last and the highest, but that does not mean a buyer will pay that now. As a buyer, I usually look at the last few sales and cap myself at the average. If i had this card, I would put a sticker $230 or $240 on it, but would take less.

but there is no science here, its like selling anything. the most important thing is what you are willing to let it go for and how long do you want to take to sell it.
I agree. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. My only hope will be is to find a collector that may want it. As compared to a person that only wants to flip the card.Thanks a lot for the information.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:47 PM

What geographical location is this show? Hockey just ended their season which might lower interest. If you can get the average sell price, as mentioned above, you will do well avoiding fees.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamound View Post
What geographical location is this show? Hockey just ended their season which might lower interest. If you can get the average sell price, as mentioned above, you will do well avoiding fees.

I live in Nova Scotia Canada. Regardless of what I get for the card it will never be on eBay unless the person that buys it from me puts it on.But yes those fees are a killer for sure.That is one thing a lot of people do not understand. They see that a card sold for a certain amount so theirs is worth that much. The seller has a lot of fees that come off that closing price. I did see that the last PSA7 sold for well over $400.00 on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-68-TOP...oAAOSwxOJe6Gik
Old 10-20-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I live in Nova Scotia Canada. Regardless of what I get for the card it will never be on eBay unless the person that buys it from me puts it on.But yes those fees are a killer for sure.That is one thing a lot of people do not understand. They see that a card sold for a certain amount so theirs is worth that much. The seller has a lot of fees that come off that closing price. I did see that the last PSA7 sold for well over $400.00 on eBay

List for equivalent to $500 US and go from there. You can feel out the interest as the day goes. Although it does depend on whether or not your friend would like a quick sale. You can list at $400 US and this will leave some meat on the bone for the buyer to resell. In turn motivating a buyer to purchase as you have listed at a discount.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:38 PM
J0hn H@rper

Some of you guys are way high on this.

People are terrified of the OC and MC qualifiers. 8 (OC) means that you'll be lucky to get the price of a 6. A 6 sold for 220 on ebay last night.

Plus, the PSA 7 from that link didn't actually sell for that price anyway. It was relisted, then taken down.

If he wants to sell it quickly, I'd be satisfied getting 200
Old 10-21-2020, 05:30 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:

Interesting, I don't know why VCP has the last sale at 7/31. Their data is usually up to date.

Monster #236
Old 10-21-2020, 08:01 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:

Out of curiosity, I spoke to VCP and Ebay. This item was not sold at the price. It was sold, but then the buyer canceled. This is why it is confusingly shown as "Sold" in the picture but in the banner says "This listing has ended. The seller has relisted this item or one like this."

this might be an honest mistake or part of a seller scam to show an inflated price. But $400+ was not exchanged for that card.

As an aside, I soften see sketchy things out of Ebay Canada and personally will never buy from a Canadian seller.

Monster #236
Old 10-21-2020, 10:53 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I spoke to VCP and Ebay. This item was not sold at the price. It was sold, but then the buyer canceled. This is why it is confusingly shown as "Sold" in the picture but in the banner says "This listing has ended. The seller has relisted this item or one like this."

this might be an honest mistake or part of a seller scam to show an inflated price. But $400+ was not exchanged for that card.

As an aside, I soften see sketchy things out of Ebay Canada and personally will never buy from a Canadian seller.
LOL Yeah, because sketchy things don't happen from EBay U.S. or from U.S. sellers. I hope you're not serious?

Winston, for what it's worth, I paid just over $300 CDN for my 6 about 4-5 months ago. Personally, I'd take my 6 over that OC one anyday.
As John said, OC and other qualifiers deter people, me included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bobby Orr 1967 Calder Memorial Trophy PSA6.jpg (81.3 KB, 128 views)
Old 10-21-2020, 11:56 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
LOL Yeah, because sketchy things don't happen from EBay U.S. or from U.S. sellers. I hope you're not serious?

They absolutely do! But I basically use 2-3 US sellers and don't really need to look beyond them. However as a US buyer, I think cross-border transactions give scammers another layer of comfort to run their scams (whether US to Canada, Canada to US, US to UK, anywhere).

I am probably biased in that I am in the market for an OPC Gretzky rookie - and the number of counterfeits on EBAY coming from up North is staggering, lol

Monster #236
Old 10-21-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

Winston, for what it's worth, I paid just over $300 CDN for my 6 about 4-5 months ago. Personally, I'd take my 6 over that OC one anyday.
As John said, OC and other qualifiers deter people, me included.
I may end up buying the card for myself and resubmit it for grading requesting no qualifiers.In hand it is a beautiful card but top to bottom is off centre. Side to side is fine and so is the back. I have to ask. Why are people so obsessed with centering. For me as a collector if it is something that came from the factory then I can handle it. But if it something that someone has done since the card has been out and about then I have a problem. But there are a lot of people that would sooner have dinged corners then a card off centre. I guess I could never understand that.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I may end up buying the card for myself and resubmit it for grading requesting no qualifiers.In hand it is a beautiful card but top to bottom is off centre. Side to side is fine and so is the back. I have to ask. Why are people so obsessed with centering. For me as a collector if it is something that came from the factory then I can handle it. But if it something that someone has done since the card has been out and about then I have a problem. But there are a lot of people that would sooner have dinged corners then a card off centre. I guess I could never understand that.
I use to think the same way. If it came from the factory like that then what's the problem? (look at a lot of my 52's in my link)
The truth of the matter is, if one can find a centered card then they are almost guaranteed to, when the time comes, sell it for a premium. Yes, they will buy it a premium but their chances of recouping or increasing their profits will be significantly increased as well.

Also, since some cards are notorious for being tough to find centered, if one finds one, then it becomes a more desirable/rarer copy. And, like I've now grown accustomed to, centered cards are much more appealing as well.

It is what it is. Many collectors have their quirks and the like but centering, as far as I know, is usually pretty high on most people's list.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:49 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
They absolutely do! But I basically use 2-3 US sellers and don't really need to look beyond them. However as a US buyer, I think cross-border transactions give scammers another layer of comfort to run their scams (whether US to Canada, Canada to US, US to UK, anywhere).

I am probably biased in that I am in the market for an OPC Gretzky rookie - and the number of counterfeits on EBAY coming from up North is staggering, lol
I agree with the first bold as I'm sure some take advantage of that like you say, but because you are specifically looking for an OPC copy, your odds of running into a shady character from Canada also increase 10 fold due to the fact the product you're after is OPC and not the American Topps.

Gretzky RC fakes have been around for years, and since this boom in prices, I am sure even more are now coming to the market as I'm sure Topps copies are as well stateside.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'd pay $200 for it, delivered. Looks to me like an unqualified 6.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-23-2020, 06:46 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Camaro,

At least you have gotten a ton of good intel here, and probably a few laughs.

Please keep us posted on what you end up selling it for...

Monster #236
Old 10-23-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Camaro,

At least you have gotten a ton of good intel here, and probably a few laughs.

Please keep us posted on what you end up selling it for...
I will LYK. If it was not for the cost of shipping I would likely sell it to an offer here. But the cost of shipping from Canada into the US is well over $20.00 Closer to $30.00. So when you subtract from the sale then it is not where I would like to be for my friend.So at the show on Sat. when the deal can be done in person it will be a lot easier to except some offers. I really do appreciate everyone shipping in with some comments and suggestion.Thanks.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:53 PM

I sold the card today at our local show. $250.00
Old 10-24-2020, 05:25 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I think that's a fair price for that card, Winston? Like has been mentioned, qualifiers can be a tough sell sometimes.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:27 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
i think you got a great price. and paid no commission...

Monster #236
Old 10-24-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
i think you got a great price. and paid no commission...
And did not have to ship the card.Which was a big plus for me.