NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default Base Ball vs. Baseball

I've searched the internet with no luck. I'm trying to figure out the history of the spelling "base ball" as opposed to the more modern word of "baseball". I've got a couple broadsides with "base ball" on them but was wondering when the transition to "baseball" took place? Anyone know? Thanks, Michael
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM
J.O.N

Michael does this help at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_baseball

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Pete Sycks

I believe the game was originally called "base". I don't know the exact time when it switched to baseball. Best of luck in your search.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 PM
William Peebles

Generally speaking, it was a gradual transition from roughly the turn of the century into the 1930s or so. It really depended on the context and who was writing the copy. Both were accepted spellings until baseball eventually won favor.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 02-15-2012, 10:30 PM

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=126241
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

This was a tough subject when it came to writing pieces of my book and even the title. So I went with what the ball itself was called. Up until the late 1950's, Spalding was still calling its product a Base Ball. All of the packaging still separated the two words making it pretty clear that you were playing with a Base "Ball". I recently had a publisher (whom was trying to make an offer on my book) try to tell me I was 100% wrong about it being referred to as Base Ball. He was pulling up articles written in 1908 and 1940's calling the sport baseball. He didn't go over very well with me so I just stopped emailing, insulting a potential client isn't the best way to start a relationship. Anyway Like Bill was saying both spellings were acceptable. But when referring to the ball itself, it was still a Base Ball through the 1950's, and a good way to explain that is you're not playing baseball with a baseball ball, you were playing with a Base Ball.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Yes thanks for all the good information. It's all very much appreciated!