NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default Great NYT sports section today

Story on Mariano Rivera featuring images that we know well of Addie Joss and Eddie Walsh, the two career WHIP leaders, on front page. Then major piece on "Gettysburg Eddie" Plank and huge photo, marking 150th anniv of battle. Great stuff on how Plank honored in hometown. And buried across from "Gettysburg Eddie's" diner. Buick dealership gone, though. Died at age 50.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I am about 90 minutes from Gettysburg, and have been there 3-4 times. There is so much interesting stuff to see there regarding the battle. I knew Eddie Plank was from Gettysburg, served as a battlefield tour guide after his career ended and is buried in Gettysburg. But I have not been to Gettysburg since the restaurant dedicated to his memory opened in 2009. I have wanted to go back to Gettysburg ever since I found that out, just to eat there. That is on my bucket list of places close to home to visit.

http://www.gettysburgeddies.com/

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-30-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Yup, a great read this AM
Old 06-30-2013, 11:56 AM
David McDonald

I spent an unforgettable day in Gettysburg following last year's Baltimore National in the company of Jay Wolt who gave me the Ten Thousand Dollar Battlefield & Eddie Plank Tour. Stopped for a burger and a Dr Pepper at Gettysburg Eddie's Restaurant, a tour highlight. The place is newish but the walls are replete with large photos (mostly repros but thoughtfully displayed) of deadballers. The waitresses were impressed that I could name them off one after the other. And I get a kick out of impressing waitresses. They're girls after all, and at my age cheap thrills are better than no thrills. But I digress. In my opinionated opinion a visit to Gettysburg should be on everybody's bucket list. Our nation was saved there; the place is profound with glory and haunted beauty. Gonna be rocking there this week.

Some reading material whilst pointing Percy at the porcelain.

My nifty souvenir t-shirt; the logo as seen on the storefront in second picture above is on the back.

This unlikely looking building was the site of Eddie's car dealership. There is a plaque out front attesting to the fact.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:04 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
In my opinionated opinion a visit to Gettysburg should be on everybody's bucket list
I agree!
But don't come during the next several days as it will be a zoo in town & in the battlefields.
They expect 250,000 visitors during the 150th anniversary celebration which started a couple of days ago and will last through next weekend.

David, had a good time last August when you were here. Likewise last month when I gave another N54 member and his family the guided tour.
Its a great place to visit.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Thanks for the great pictures of Gettysburg Eddie's, Kawika. I really do have to get there soon to check it out. This isn't any kind of big trip, but I am also planning to make my first trip to Christy Mathewson Days in Factoryville in August.

Edited to add that it takes a real deadball fan to snap photos in the bathroom for our viewing enjoyment on here.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-30-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:45 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Thanks for the great pictures of Gettysburg Eddie's, Kawika. I really do have to get there soon to check it out. This isn't any kind of big trip, but I am also planning to make my first trip to Christy Mathewson Days in Factoryville in August.

Edited to add that it takes a real deadball fan to be comfortable enough to snap photos in the bathroom for our viewing enjoyment on here.
Say hi to the waitresses for me.

Getting up to Factoryville is on my bucket list. I had a plane to catch the next morning or I would have pushed on from Lewisburg. Hope you report back to 54 after you visit.

Good rule of thumb is to make sure no one else is in the men's room when snapping photos. One might be picking one's teeth off the floor otherwise.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:00 PM

Default Gettysburg

One of my daughters graduated from Gettysburg College and we made many trips down there over the four years. I always had morning coffee on Little Round Top and near the high ground which the Union Army held during Pickett's Charge. Her dorm was the hospital building during the battle. It is near the Eddie Plank sign at the beginning of this thread, you can see the white painted building. Fantastic place to visit and think of what happened, but don't go there for awhile. Now if only I could find a reasonably priced T206 Plank.