NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-09-2021, 09:30 PM

I am looking for my 70 Joe Coleman and haven’t found it yet but I found some missing 76 Topps cards while searching for it, including this Blue Dots Dave Lopes Record Breaker that I will post as soon as my home computer comes back on.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:51 PM

I found the 1970 Topps Joe Coleman, it clearly has a word printed in the blue sky that starts with ‘DE’, goes into Coleman’s face and then ends to the right in the sky. I will post a scan as soon as my computer comes back into service.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
Post it if you can please. Thanks…
You did me a favor asking for a scan of the 70 Topps Coleman, I found this missing card looking for the Coleman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76 blue dots lopes rb.jpg (78.4 KB, 585 views)
Old 08-09-2021, 11:05 PM

Here is the 70 Topps Joe Coleman with writing in the sky, I'm guessing it is 'DETROIT', maybe from the Tigers team card. The only reason I knew about this card was that someone listed a PSA 8(?) 1970 Topps Joe Coleman on eBay and described it as a print error and wanted something like $50 for it. I looked for another one cheaper and found this one right away, but it must be rare because I looked through a few hundred 70 Topps Coleman cards on the web very recently and couldn't find another one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70 coleman 4.jpg (75.0 KB, 587 views)
Old 08-10-2021, 06:38 AM
Al Richter

Neat card Cliff
Old 08-10-2021, 07:37 AM

I think I figured out where the ‘DETROIT’ came from on the 1970 Topps Joe Coleman card, it was still on the printing plate from a 1969-70 Topps Basketball Detroit Pistons card. If someone could post a scan of a 1969-70 Topps Basketball Detroit Pistons card I would appreciate it because my Xfinity box is fried and I can’t get on my home computer.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:37 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Here is the 70 Topps Joe Coleman with writing in the sky, I'm guessing it is 'DETROIT', maybe from the Tigers team card. The only reason I knew about this card was that someone listed a PSA 8(?) 1970 Topps Joe Coleman on eBay and described it as a print error and wanted something like $50 for it. I looked for another one cheaper and found this one right away, but it must be rare because I looked through a few hundred 70 Topps Coleman cards on the web very recently and couldn't find another one.
Nice card Cliff...in hand does it appear the lettering in the sky is caused by a wet-sheet transfer, or something else?
Old 08-10-2021, 07:59 AM
Bob F.

Last edited by bobsbbcards; 08-10-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:01 AM

I am very certain that it was printed on the card and is residual from a 1969-70 Topps Basketball Detroit Pistons card that was still on the printing plate, similar to the 1967 Topps Baseball 2nd Series cards that can be found with those fold out comic book images on the front. Unfortunately my home computer is down and I can’t show a scan of a 1969-70 Topps Basketball Detroit Pistons card, I’m just glad I was able to get it to work last night and post the scan of the Coleman card.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:02 AM

Thank you, Mr. Fisk 😊.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:56 PM
Al Richter

Bob is useful now and then
Old 08-10-2021, 10:16 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's very strange!

For the early printing done from stones they erased them and reused them, but I'm having a hard time seeing how the coated aluminum plates used in the 60's-70's could have been resurfaced or rexposed to make a different plate.

I wonder if they were using old partly printed sheets somewhere in the production process.
Or maybe using a blanket that was so worn the image was still there, worn into it from a previous job?

Or..... just maybe they used old plates for the glosscoat?

(This may now be common as the presses make the plate digitally without needing to mount a new one)
Old 08-11-2021, 05:06 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Very similar error to what happened with Magic: The Gathering card game 20 years ago.
https://www.misprintedmtg.com/peanuts
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 08-11-2021 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:58 PM
Marc

I've been looking for this Kaline Band Aid card on and off for a few years since learning about it on Net54. It showed up on ebay a few days ago for a really good price. Excited to get it.

I don't remember hearing about this card back in the day (collecting in the 1970s/1980s), when it seemed like there was lots of attention on error cards. Was this card well-known/collected for years? Or did it only more recently get attention?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kaline 1973 bandage.jpg (78.5 KB, 537 views)
Old 08-15-2021, 08:14 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Thanks for the Coleman scan and glad you found the Lopes blue splatter too. Now my quest for the Coleman begins.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:23 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
I've been looking for this Kaline Band Aid card on and off for a few years since learning about it on Net54. It showed up on ebay a few days ago for a really good price. Excited to get it.
Beautiful card which looks great for the listed grade. Can't believe it didn't at least get the half grade bump for solid centering.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:

I don't remember hearing about this card back in the day (collecting in the 1970s/1980s), when it seemed like there was lots of attention on error cards. Was this card well-known/collected for years? Or did it only more recently get attention?
Like many variations the first I heard about it was from an eBay seller, on this one I'm guessing 7-10 years ago. I saw his listing and was skeptical until I saw the scan and was instantly convinced it was a legit variation. Hopefully Darren (JollyElm) can recall when and how he found out about the 73 Topps Kaline Band-Aid variation.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:22 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Like many variations the first I heard about it was from an eBay seller, on this one I'm guessing 7-10 years ago. I saw his listing and was skeptical until I saw the scan and was instantly convinced it was a legit variation. Hopefully Darren (JollyElm) can recall when and how he found out about the 73 Topps Kaline Band-Aid variation.
As a variation nut, I actually 'discovered' this one on my own a long time ago, sometime in the earlier 90's IIRC? Never heard of it (and I'm sure someone out there before me can claim the actual discovery as their own), but found/noticed one (among multiple Kalines) inside the huge box of 1973's my brothers and I had amassed, and I've been looking for them ever since. Sold a couple at healthy prices, and interest seems to be skyrocketing.

I will point out this card is cursed!! Seemingly every time I put one of mine out there for trade or sale, some sc_mbag comes out of woodwork trying to take it off of my hands for nothing. All they see are dollar signs and nothing else matters. They usually take the exact same approach, from pretending their interest is tepid by saying they 'might' be interested in the card, to pretending it's not worth anything by saying, "You know, elm, you and I are probably the only ones who collect this guy," to offering me nothing but crap for it, to spewing out the hatred when I don't fall for their obvious BS. It's like they're reading from the same script. They want the card and it doesn't matter one bit that I don't want (can't use, etc.) what they insist I take for it. I just laugh and think, "What the hell is wrong with these people??!!" Sorry for the rant, but this card is just a grief maker!! Whenever I get a PM with the subject line being "1973 Kaline," I just think, "Crap, here we go again!!"

Hopefully, your results will vary.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:42 PM
Marc

Thanks, guys. The card is much nicer that I had expected to find and will hang out on a shelf with my other favorite error/variation (1989 Fleer Randy Johnson(s)). I'm also pennant collector and I do collect pennant errors/variations. Hopefully I don't taint this card thread by posting one pennant here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GIants typo.jpg (55.4 KB, 511 views)
Old 08-16-2021, 03:50 PM
Ben North

Quote:

Very nice card. Most are way off center.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:49 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
As a variation nut, I actually 'discovered' this one on my own a long time ago, sometime in the earlier 90's IIRC? Never heard of it (and I'm sure someone out there before me can claim the actual discovery as their own), but found/noticed one (among multiple Kalines) inside the huge box of 1973's my brothers and I had amassed, and I've been looking for them ever since. Sold a couple at healthy prices, and interest seems to be skyrocketing.

I will point out this card is cursed!! Seemingly every time I put one of mine out there for trade or sale, some sc_mbag comes out of woodwork trying to take it off of my hands for nothing. All they see are dollar signs and nothing else matters. They usually take the exact same approach, from pretending their interest is tepid by saying they 'might' be interested in the card, to pretending it's not worth anything by saying, "You know, elm, you and I are probably the only ones who collect this guy," to offering me nothing but crap for it, to spewing out the hatred when I don't fall for their obvious BS. It's like they're reading from the same script. They want the card and it doesn't matter one bit that I don't want (can't use, etc.) what they insist I take for it. I just laugh and think, "What the hell is wrong with these people??!!" Sorry for the rant, but this card is just a grief maker!! Whenever I get a PM with the subject line being "1973 Kaline," I just think, "Crap, here we go again!!"

Hopefully, your results will vary.

I know exactly how you feel...I posted a 69 567 no black outline card one time and got the same type of ridiculous messages in regards to it. Heard some great stories though...entertaining even.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:48 AM
David M.

I don't know if this has been reported, but I noticed this variation on the 1955 Elmer Valo. At the bottom of the front the red box corner, lower right is clipped off in the variation. On the back of the variation his batting average doesn't have a decimal point (.280) but is shown as 280.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:18 PM

Unless they are already known, it’s incredible that either one of those on the 55 Valo went undiscovered for 66 years. They’re both new to me.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:06 PM
David M.

Quote:
Unless they are already known, it’s incredible that either one of those on the 55 Valo went undiscovered for 66 years. They’re both new to me.
I'm surprised too. I looked it up on the list of variations and didn't see it. I also checked on Ebay and saw both versions for sale. So it appears to be a real variation.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:21 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I'm surprised too. I looked it up on the list of variations and didn't see it. I also checked on Ebay and saw both versions for sale. So it appears to be a real variation.
Great find....now to find the one I need...
Old 08-26-2021, 07:01 PM

Default 1957 Detroit Tigers Team Card

Both vars :

...White uniforms -brown grass and blue uniforms -green grass

Old 08-26-2021, 09:36 PM
Al Richter

I do think you can find at least two versions of every 57 card with coloring differences such as this one. I think someone offered a bunch of examples in this or another thread
Old 08-27-2021, 04:27 PM

Default The great blues and greens shade wars of 1957 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I do think you can find at least two versions of every 57 card with coloring differences such as this one. I think someone offered a bunch of examples in this or another thread
Yes ; pretty sure it was this thread ---here's what I shared in 2017 :

..A true master set of 1957 Topps is now up to 800 or so....

Old 08-28-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
Yes ; pretty sure it was this thread ---here's what I shared in 2017 :

..A true master set of 1957 Topps is now up to 800 or so....

I am the guy who started this nightmare back when. I have four complete sets of 1957 plus a partial set and there are many differences. I scanned all 407 cards and have these color variants as well.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:14 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Several years have "blue tints" like this; where it's not just a color being darker in a print run but the color present in places it should not be. 1968 football and 1971 football are pretty obvious, 1967 baseball has them in at least a couple of the series.

1957 has at least two of each card, some have red tint, blue tint and a "proper" one.

I count these as true variations, though it makes my spreadsheets a pain to manage sometimes.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:23 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

And while I'm thinking about 1967 Topps and happen to have my box out:

139 Dalton Jones - Blue line in top border or correct.

198 Chuck Hiller - Blue line in bottom border, or correct.

323 Herhbserger - Blue in team name on front extends low (not the color layer being mis-set), or correct

326 - Uecker, white line through position, height and and birth year on back. Tough.

382 Dave Mcnally can be found with a white line through the first line of his text biography write up on back. Also green smear in the lower left of his stat boxes, as well as the known purple object variation. Some are tough.

399 Worthington - Green hangs below the black divider at top of the stat area, or correct.

403 Dick Nen - Green spots on both arms, or correct. Not the easiest.

412 astro's Rookies - some copies show the edge of a stat box on the back right, even when they are not at all miscut to show an adjacent card. Easy

438 Chuck Dobson - several versions with the cartoon white extending high, extra white and green squiggly shapes below the cartoons, green ink bleed into the cartoon, Athletics logo on front extending low. At least 5 combinations

I can show them but Net54 hates iPhone pics and requires a downsizing process that takes too much time and ruins the quality a lot. Apologies if I missed these being publicly known, I don't think any of them are.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Part of A in BASE missing. Recurring.

1974 Topps - [Base] #283 - Mike Schmidt
Courtesy of COMC.com

Yellow bleed throughout card and above border (similar to 1973 Topps Nolan Ryan blue bleed)

Courtesy of COMC.com

And although Post-1980, Cal Ripken Jr after just eating a ballpark hotdog (Via blowout):
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1483713
Not sure if it's just a big fisheye defect or a recurring.

Last edited by swarmee; 08-30-2021 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post

Yellow bleed throughout card and above border (similar to 1973 Topps Nolan Ryan blue bleed)

Courtesy of COMC.com
Thank you!! I collect those 1974 Topps yellow ink bleed print flaw cards, many cards on the 265-396 sheet are affected but I didn't know of a #283 Schmidt. If you run across anymore please post them.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I don't know if this has been reported, but I noticed this variation on the 1955 Elmer Valo. At the bottom of the front the red box corner, lower right is clipped off in the variation. On the back of the variation his batting average doesn't have a decimal point (.280) but is shown as 280.
Notice on the reverse of each card that the red is to the right on the variation with the clipped corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 #145 Valo OV CU.jpg (45.0 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg 1955 #145 Valo RV CU.jpg (77.9 KB, 368 views)
Old 09-01-2021, 10:18 AM
Al Richter

This is a good one, and not hard to find

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-01-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:27 AM
M@rk K3mm3rl3

I've seen a couple of these Ernie Banks '56 Topps pins with the same blue blotch at the three o'clock position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 Topps pin Ernie Banks PSA 7.jpg (81.3 KB, 345 views)
Old 09-04-2021, 11:54 AM
Robert J. Miller

The three shades of Leron Lee. The green around his name has three shades. light / dark / darker. The dark/darker is easier to notice in hand not as much here.
1975 Topp L Lee REV.jpg
Old 09-04-2021, 11:56 AM
Robert J. Miller

Lindy McDaniel the Royal A.
I guess a fleck of paper blocked the ink from getting on the card.
1975 Topps L McDaniel.jpg
Old 09-05-2021, 04:16 PM

Sorting through some 1973's and saw this Billy Wilson #619 with the bottom of the baseball solid black (below the number). Out of 10 or so I have 2 like this.

The ink and print looks all the same...ie no variation in the laces tint when looked at in the light vs the black ink shining (if it was colored in)

Can anyone else confirm the variation?

Best,
Ed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejstel View Post
Sorting through some 1973's and saw this Billy Wilson #619 with the bottom of the baseball solid black (below the number). Out of 10 or so I have 2 like this.

The ink and print looks all the same...ie no variation in the laces tint when looked at in the light vs the black ink shining (if it was colored in)

Can anyone else confirm the variation?
It could be argued if it is a variation or a print flaw, but I saw two on COMC and one on Dean's Cards so it is definitely recurring.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:55 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Here is the 70 Topps Joe Coleman with writing in the sky, I'm guessing it is 'DETROIT', maybe from the Tigers team card....
Cliff, hats off to you sir. This card is a needle in a haystack. I have been looking since you mentioned it and just do not see it listed anywhere.

Good on you! And I will keep looking too. I may have to be satisfied with a bootleg picture of Joe. :-)

Cheers,

B.T.

Last edited by butchie_t; 09-11-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:39 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default 1955 Topps Print Error

Was going through a stack of 1955 Topps and came across this printing error on the back of the Fowler card. The words "Year," & "Life" are at the top and printed in black ink not green. The word "Topps" is printed not in the baseball but just below it. And to Top it off the title bar is printed below the Stats line. The cartoon says ? Puzzlers. I suppose the real puzzle is how this happened.

Thanks for looking,

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (79.2 KB, 452 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (76.6 KB, 454 views)
Old 09-15-2021, 04:20 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The green screen went over the sheet when it was an inch out of alignment. The words at top are actually from the bottom of the card above it. Cool find, though is it just a bad registration issue.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:09 PM
Al Richter

Good one Joe
Old 09-18-2021, 01:46 PM

I don't remember if this one has been mentioned here or not, Topps replaced Ed Bouchee with a second Jim Bunning on the 1958 Second Series sheet creating a double print of Bunning, making a photo cropping variation similar to the eleven double printed cards in the 1963 Topps Fifth Series sheet. The pinstripe hits the Tigers emblem in the center of the circle and the T on his uniform is cut off at the end on one version, the second version has the pinstripe more to the left hitting the Tigers emblem circle and the end of the T on his uniform is visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58 bunning 1.jpg (41.1 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg 58 bunning 2.jpg (49.3 KB, 416 views)
Old 09-18-2021, 02:21 PM
Al Richter

Either you or someone else told me about this one because I have both.

Still looking and hoping for a pulled Bouche proof
Old 09-21-2021, 02:39 PM
Al Richter

Not in the same League as Joe's above but maybe an honorable mention

Old 09-22-2021, 07:28 PM
Eric Phillips

Default 1956 Frank Malzone Variations

Each of these three versions: no blob, small blob, larger blob, are fairly common. Malzone was double-printed, but I don't know why there would be three versions (and maybe more).

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1632360416

Always looking for 1956 salesman samples, miscuts, sheet cuts, printer's defects, panels, overprints and other errors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0727.jpg (12.0 KB, 369 views)
Old 09-28-2021, 12:58 PM
Al Richter

My group of Malzones. Blob at top. Then faded blob. Then no blob. But my no blob seems to have another defect. It is not a crease but maybe an after production mark rather than a printing defect

Old 09-29-2021, 04:38 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I know this one has been discussed before, so forgive me. We all know that the vast majority of 60's era Topps checklists had multiple variations, as some (most) appeared across two series' printings and they occupied multiple positions on the print sheets themselves. This led to slight (but distinct) differences in the cropping of pictures and whatnot.

Well, I finally made an animated gif of the 1969 Topps #412 Mickey Mantle Checklist to highlight the differences in that particular card...

To distinguish the two, I refer to them as 'high chin' and 'low chin.' (I guess I should've went with something more clever like 'hi-hat,' but as usual, the drummer gets ignored.) On normal size cards, the most obvious tell is the sky above the Mick. One looks huge, while the other is more of a sliver. Besides the chin and sky, there are other strange things afoot, too. The yellow rectangles are significantly different across the two printings, as the 'high chin' has much larger and fuller boxes, with only a hair's width separating them. And the 'low chin' version has the "SPECIAL!" area awkwardly tilted, as the rest of the line of text is pretty level.

If I had to guess, I would assume that there is probably at least one more (real, cropping oriented) version of this card.

Edited to add: Whoops! Forgot to mention that I know these are the Boswell (on back) variations, but I was doing this as a front-only way to distinguish the versions. The 'low chin' versions (big sky) are the ones with the fully intact Boswell name on back.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 09-29-2021 at 08:25 PM.