NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Default Edd Roush cut signature

Posted By: Keith

Hey guys,

In a box lot I won recently containing sports memoribilia and ephemera, I found this cut signature of Edd J Roush. I know he had a long career from the 1910s to 1931 and is a HOF member. I was wondering if anyone can help me with the following:
1. Does this signature look good? (I have never seen a Roush signature before)
2. What do you think is written before his signature.
3. and what type of value do such cut autos have?
thanks
KJ

Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Edd J Roush cut signatures are common and he signed many of them later in his life, this one looks like it maybe a bit earlier as the signature is a bit different and the middle initial has been added. His signature is usually a bit cleaner and can be read easily. I can not make out the first few letters, it would be best if SGC/JSA or PSA take a look at it. They range from 30.00-40.00 dollars, but if the piece is a early signature and you could get a COA with it, may gain some interest.

Take Care

Jimmy

Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info Jimmy.
Did you mean that PSA charges $30-40 or that Roush cut sigs go for $30-40?

thanks again
KJ

Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Here is my Roush...he posted his lifetime BA underneath which has since changed to .323 because of new info from SABR.

edited to add: Roush signatures are not rare - he lived into the 1980s and was the last living survivor of the 1919 World Series. $30 for a cut signature is probably about right.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davicycleback

Here's a Rousch from the current Mastro Auction. Yours looks good in
comparison.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

The signature looks good. Roush was a willing signer and is one of the easiest to acquire for a deceased HOFer. Value for a cut: probably 15-25.00

Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Keith,

PSA and SGC charge 20.00 for his cut signature and looking at the other signatures posted here they all seem to be early autographs and are similar to yours - if you were able to get a COA for the item it would be a 30.00-40.00 item. These can be found for the price stated above, but having the COA can make a diffrence.

Jimmy

Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Your Rousch signature is real, and it was cut from the return portion of an envelope. The letters before his name indicate that it was "From" Edd Rousch. His signature might be technically worth $30 but if you can get more than $10 for a cut than it would surprise me. It is a legit signature though.

Rhys Yeakley

Old 06-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info. Since I was seconds away from tossing it as a scrap at the bottom of the box, even $10 is nice to hear for me

Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

For autograph collectors and dealers, cuts and index cards are often matted/framed with a photo. So if you come across a nice original Rousch photo some time, you have the cut to go with it.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

For many this, this comment won't add much. But hopefully some will benefit. One of the things people always want to know about autographs is, what is it worth ? There is "never" a specific answer, as everyone would like. There are many many factors.

First is it legit?

Was it signed while the player was still playing?

The condition of the autograph. (faded, smeared, stained,)

What is the autograph on ? (paper, glove, bat, card, postcard, etc etc.)

The players life span. Did he die young, or did he live a long life? Obviously if he died young, he probably signed less items.

Was he a willing signer? many players love to sign, some hate it. Causing an abundance or shortage. Similar to life span issue.

Is he a hall of famer, or a star, or a common ? usually, but not always, hall of famers are worth more. Notice I said usually. There are many exceptions.

Regionalism. An autograph of a player from Cleveland will probably bring more money in Cleveland, than it will in St. Louis. But not always. Depends on the player.

I could go on, but as one can see there are very many factors. This is not to say that one can't come up with a reasonable value, but for those who want pat answers, there are none. But please continue to post autographs. It's great to see them, and we will try our best to give folks a reasonable guesstimate. And it's ok to agree to disagree on values.

Grammer