NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2020, 08:36 PM
David Kathman

Default Card Collector's Bulletin, October 1952 - Charles Bray, Jefferson Burdick

I thought others might be interested in these articles from the October 1, 1952 issue of Card Collector's Bulletin (#80). The cover story, by editor Charles Bray, discusses the matter of card prices in the then-forthcoming 1953 edition of the American Card Catalog. Bray had been running the card auctions in each issue of CCB for almost a decade, so he was in a uniquely good position to estimate card prices, and it's interesting to see his thoughts on the matter.

The second article, on page 3 of the issue, is Jefferson Burdick's account of his visit to Chicago for the 1952 All States Hobby Convention. He doesn't give the dates, but that convention was usually held in late July-early August. It sounds like it was a pretty big convention, sponsored by the Windy City Post Card Club.

Below Burdick's article is a photo of Woody Gelman, Burdick, Bray, and Gene DiNardo, the four editors of the 1953 American Card Catalog, at their planning meeting in May 1952. I've seen this photo reproduced before, but usually in a poor second- or third-generation copy. This is the original as printed in CCB, so I've included a picture just of that photo.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:38 PM
Mike Biggans

Thank you for this! I love this kinda stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2020, 08:41 PM
Paul

Great stuff David! Thanks for posting.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 12-02-2020, 08:41 PM
Jim T.
Ji.m Tar.olli

Thanks for this, very cool. Burdick lived in my hometown of Syracuse

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2020, 09:04 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I love this line: "it is a valuable item only if the quantity of surviving copies is considerably less than the amount of collectors who want them and are able and willing to pay a good price to obtain them".

As true today as it was 68 years ago.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great stuff. Thanks for posting, David.

Probably my fave pickup this year...

Old 12-05-2020, 04:54 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

For about 5 of my childhood years, spanning age six to eleven, I lived at 115 Janet Drive in Syracuse, right next door to a Burdick family who was very likely related to Jeff because of the name and facial resemblance. This time frame was 1966-1971. Although we were next door neighbors, we didn't know them very well, mainly because their children were so serious, and hardly ever played sports with the other kids on the block. I do remember that they had two boys, both older than me, one of whom was named David. I also remember a girl named Lisa Burdick, who was about my age. The father was a doctor. I am quite certain that none of those Burdick kids collected any sports cards.

I have totally lost track of every member of this family. If anyone can confirm that they were indeed related to Jefferson Burdick, I would love to know!

Last edited by robw1959; 12-05-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:14 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

David:

REALLY appreciate all the work and research you do for the hobby.

FWIW I met Woody a few times in the early 70's when he and a few others were planning an update to the ACC. Woody invited me to do the write up on Topps cards, test sets because I was writing about them in the Trader Speaks at the time. He invited me to visit Topps in Brooklyn a few times for my research. That is where I first met Woody and Sy Berger.

I note in the above that Burdick mentioned that during his visit to Chicago he visited the Exhibit Supply Company and that he said he was doing a good write up on them.

If you have that article he wrote later about the Exhibit company would you please get it to me in a PM?

Thanks in advance!

Fred
Old 12-05-2020, 05:34 PM
Bruce Mattioli

"You don't become interested-- collectors are born that way"

How true..
Old 12-05-2020, 07:14 PM
Bobw

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
For about 5 of my childhood years, spanning age six to eleven, I lived at 115 Janet Drive in Syracuse, right next door to a Burdick family who was very likely related to Jeff because of the name and facial resemblance. This time frame was 1966-1971. Although we were next door neighbors, we didn't know them very well, mainly because their children were so serious, and hardly ever played sports with the other kids on the block. I do remember that they had two boys, both older than me, one of whom was named David. I also remember a girl named Lisa Burdick, who was about my age. The father was a doctor. I am quite certain that none of those Burdick kids collected any sports cards.

I have totally lost track of every member of this family. If anyone can confirm that they were indeed related to Jefferson Burdick, I would love to know!
His obit notes surviving relatives....
Old 12-05-2020, 07:45 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

More on Burdick’s history. An interesting read.

Jeff

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/n...ard-collecting
Old 12-05-2020, 08:15 PM
David Kathman

The 1952 All States Hobby Convention that Burdick wrote about here was the first time he had met Lionel Carter in person, after 15 years of correspondence. After Burdick's death in 1963, Carter wrote about that first meeting in Card Collector's Bulletin as part of a package of obituaries, and a decade after that, Carter published an expanded and revised verion of the article in the fall 1973 issue of Sport Hobbyist. I posted both articles here on Net54 a few years ago, and I've reproduced the 1973 article below for convenience.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=224897

Old 12-05-2020, 09:14 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobw View Post
His obit notes surviving relatives....
Yes, I have read the obituary on Mr. Burdick, and I noted that it does not name any of my former Burdick neighbors by name. However, it does say there were nephews that survived Jeff, and I think the father next door was probably one of them. I say that because that picture of Jefferson Burdick is the spitting image of one of my neighbor's sons - David Burdick. I just wish I could have some confirmation. Thanks!

Last edited by robw1959; 12-05-2020 at 09:14 PM.