NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM

Default Anyone lose their cards to/from an auction house?

I hinted at this question in the "Anyone lose a package through PSA?" thread, but didn't get a response, so I want to try again.
I'll assume, based on the info from the other thread, that PSA is not a large enough organization to carry their own insurance, but apparently auction houses, at least some, are.

These are the shipping instructions from one auction house and I've heard these instructions from two others, so I'll assume it's pretty standard.

"Send Fed Ex priority overnight with signature required. Do not put a value on the Fed Ex slip. Fed Ex does not insure collectibles. This package will be insured by our Collectibles Insurance Auction House Policy underwritten by "xxxxxxxxxxxxx"." And they go on to give their FedEx number.

The above quote was in reference to a shipment for over 700 cards, valued over 6 figures.

So has anyone had to deal with a lost package to or from an auction house?

If so, what type of proof was needed and how long did it take to settle a claim? All I can do is scan everything I pack, but someone could have scans and only send newspaper. On the other hand, what happens if an auction house sends you cards, using their insurance, and the FedEx truck gets in an accident and burns?

These scenarios seem to be fraught with the same uncertainties that were brought up in the PSA thread, so I'm still wondering what's the safest way to ship cards, especially large amounts to grading companies and auction houses. From my research, registered mail seems to be the safest, but again, what about success in filing a claim? Sending 100k worth of cards via Registered Mail would take 4 packages each insured for 25k at a cost of about $50 per package, which would be well worth it if I knew I would be reimbursed if something happened to the package.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default No way I'd ship 'em

If I needed to get 100k of cards from point A to point B, I would think the optimal way to transport them would be in person. Worst case for a round trip flight anywhere in the continental us would be $500.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Jesse Rosen

I think walking around with 100k$ is easier said then done. I would probably get singled out by the TSA for looking so nervous, lol.

I think registered mail is the best way. From what I understand they have a very secure system to insure that nothing is ever lost.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Default Auction house non delivery

About 7 years ago I won a card in a Superior auction, and sent payment. A week or so later FedEx delivered a package and it didn't feel right. I had the driver stay and opened it in front of him to find an empty package.
I contacted the auction house and was told they would investigate. After a week or so and a few calls they told me they had shipped the card and it wasn't their problem.
After a few more weeks the head of the auction house told me if he refunded my money he'd be out both the card and the $1700 and that wouldn't be right. When I countered that that was exactly the position I was in he had no response but said he would look into it.
3 months later I still had no restitution and was about to file in small claims. The auction house stalled but finally called and said they wanted hobby references, since they didn't believe that I had gotten an empty box. I provided them with a dozen or so, basically a who's who in the hobby.
3 weeks later I'd heard nothing, and by chance a friend called and I told him about it. He called on my behalf and got them to agree to send me a check.
About 10 days later and 2 more calls it finally showed up. I'm sure had it not been for Paul Moss stepping in on my behalf I would've had to sue them. While I had paid for shipping and insurance (I assume their excessive shipping included insurance) I was told they didn't have insurance and the shipping from them was at my risk.

I would never send anything of value via FedEx. Say what you want about the USPS, but IMO registered mail is the safest way to go.

FedEx lost a $15k prototype from a client, and never paid off. A few years ago a plane burned on the runway (I believe no one was injured) and the entire cargo was lost. It happens, but from my experience they never find themselves responsible. The service was designed to get escrow papers delivered quickly, not for shipment of goods.

Anthony Nex
Old 02-21-2011, 06:28 AM

Default I can speak for us..........

At Brockelman & Luckey we carry private insurance that covers both incoming and outgoing packages as well as material on premise while in our possession. The policy allows for various means of shipping, UPS, FEDEX, USPS, etc, each having it's own parameters of shipping depending on value. Most require a signature AND overnight shipping if the value exceeds a certain amount.

Here is the info for USPS for example:

Up to $400 – First Class, Priority, Parcel Post - No Signature Required

Up to $2,000 – Signature Required

Up to $25,000 – Registered or Express Mail – Signature Required

I can assure you for a 7 figure consignment or purchase we will be on a plane to anywhere the person may be!!

Scott
Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Steve Birmingham

The risk of a truck or plane being destroyed is the same for any carrier.

A large portion of express and priority mail has actually been carried by FedEx since 2001.

Steve B
Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Barry Sloate

I'm a big supporter of registered mail. I've sent a thousand packages that way and not one was ever lost. As far as putting any claim in with the post office, even on a package insured for $50, you need some proof of its value. An invoice is typically sufficient. I've made two claims in the last few years for lost first class insured packages, and I was paid in full for both. One was extremely slow, and with the other I was paid in a couple of weeks. I believe the post office stands by its policies. I don't know about the other carriers. If you told fedex you lost baseball cards in transit I suspect they would not pay.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Yea, I think if I ever had a 6 figure consignment or purchase, I'd be on an airplane either dropping off my package or doing local pickup. A flight on Southwest is cheap, and there'd be a lot more peace of mind. I remember the story of one of the Butterfinger Ruths, and I believe the submitter drove many hours to a show to have PSA authenticate the card in person and then drove the card back himself. That's how it would be for something so high in value.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
If I needed to get 100k of cards from point A to point B, I would think the optimal way to transport them would be in person. Worst case for a round trip flight anywhere in the continental us would be $500.
Taking that to the extreme would mean RT for grading and RT to auction, not to mention rental cars, hotels, missed work and sweat due to nerves.
Quote:
After a week or so and a few calls they told me they had shipped the card and it wasn't their problem.

While I had paid for shipping and insurance (I assume their excessive shipping included insurance) I was told they didn't have insurance and the shipping from them was at my risk.
Thanks for sharing your, what I'm sure was a painful, experience! The two sentences I've quoted above just make me say "WOW, my worst fears."
Quote:
The risk of a truck or plane being destroyed is the same for any carrier.
So let's say this happens during a shipment from an auction house, who are covered by their in house insurance, does the insurance pay the auction house, then go after the carrier for reimbursement?
Quote:
I'm a big supporter of registered mail.
Quote:
I think registered mail is the best way.
Quote:
I'd be on an airplane either dropping off my package or doing local pickup.
Registered™ seems to be the safest. Maybe safer than driving to the airport, going through security and holding onto your bag in flight while using the restroom

Quote:
I can assure you for a 7 figure consignment or purchase we will be on a plane to anywhere the person may be!!
Missed it by one figure
Old 02-21-2011, 12:45 PM

Although the thread was originally asking "have you ever lost a card to or from an auction house," I once lost a card while AT an auction house. I consigned a T207 set over 10 years ago and the auction house lost the Lowdermilk which was in around excellent condition (it was not slabbed). Apparently it was accidentally "thrown away" while being photographed. When they discovered their loss, they called immediately and they agreed to what I felt was a reasonable and fair price and quickly sent a check to me in that amount. I was ok with it but regretted that the one of the three "key" cards in the set was gone and the set became a near set. Still, I appreciated the way the loss was handled by Bill Mastro.
As far as shippping valuable cards goes, I always use registered mail. I agree with Barry, it is the best.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 6 figures too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post

Missed it by one figure
B and L will hop on a plane for a 6 figure consignment too, not just a 7 figure one. The 7 figure consignment might be where we pull up in a Brinks truck .
Old 02-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Tom Boblitt

Decimals included Leon?

Also, what if we have an incredible quarter collection......you might be able to use it in your photos? I have like a couple hundred of those state quarters............at least my daughter does........
Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
B and L will hop on a plane for a 6 figure consignment too, not just a 7 figure one. The 7 figure consignment might be where we pull up in a Brinks truck .
Hmm, B AND L? Since that's two airfares, why don't you just pay for me to come to you and use the saved money to wine and dine me? Or grade and slab me?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 AM

Default we could.......

We would be more than happy to fly a 6 figure consignor and his cards to Dallas! One of the fancy Brazilian Steak houses ought to loosen up the consignments.

Who's first??

Please be advised Beckett also located near DFW does have some of the biggest holders in the hobby.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

I'll be the first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
We would be more than happy to fly a 6 figure consignor and his cards to Dallas! One of the fancy Brazilian Steak houses ought to loosen up the consignments.

Who's first??

Please be advised Beckett also located near DFW does have some of the biggest holders in the hobby.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Who's first??

That's what I call stepping up