NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default The Marshall Fogel Collection

Posted By: leon

Hey Folks,
I had a short chat with Marshall yesterday and he agrees that keeping collections in hiding is not always the best thing. The collective collections of this boards members are unbelievable and I would love to see some of the stuff lurking in vaults and safety deposit boxes. In keeping with that sentiment Marshall is going to be sending me some scans from his collection, from time to time, and I am going to help post them (with help from Brian M. in resizing etc..) I made sure Marshall (hi Marshall) knows the focus of the board and some semi-lenient guidelines. There will be cards, memoribilia and etc.... For the record the main off topic stuff I get perturbed about is when relative unknown participants throw up off topic stuff. If anyone EVER emails me and privately asks to do off topic posts I would say my approval rating has been 99%. Without further ado here a few pieces to start with. ...best regards ....moderator dude..

Old 12-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Wow!
JimB

Old 12-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about weeks ago when I posted the thread entitled:

"To share or not to share"

THANK YOU to one of the hobby's leading collectors for "coming out of the closet" (Marshall knows I am kidding with him)...

and hopefully the others will CONTINUE this trend!!!

Guys like Richard Masson and Corey Shanus cold REALLY light up this board with their treasures!!!

Old 12-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Leon:

Nice work. I started working on a low-grade T205 set a few months ago, and fell in love with the color and designs. It's nice to see some high-grade examples of the cards.

The competition of the Registry bugs me when it forces collectors to hide their sets. One of the best things about the Registry, IMO, is that it gives you an avenue to display your collection, even if you don't have the wherewithal to create your own website. The set I collect most vigorously - 1938 Goudey - I am the only person on either registry with scans posted. That bugs me, because I sure would love to see some of those 8s and 9s that are out there. There are some really nice sets above mine on the registry, and it would be great to see them. Further, it would also be great to see some of the more "handled" cards out there, as there's beauty in their character.

Anyway, thanks for bringing out the best in a well-known collector, and thanks to Marshall for sharing.

-Al

EDIT: I just checked out the 38 Goudey registry, and of course someone new has registered a small collection and posted scans this past week. Excellent!

Old 12-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

That is so cool. Thank you Marshall for sharing.
And thanks Leon for posting this stuff, amazing.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 12-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Marshall--Where are the Old Judge?

Old 12-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Ive never really gotten into the t205 set from a collecting standpoint, but those cards are awesome. Thanks for sharing them.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

cool stuff! thanks for sharing marshall. eternal gratitude to leon and brian.
how about sharing the football chicles, marshall?

Old 12-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Simply awesome Marshall!

DJ

Old 12-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McHugh

Marshall of all the card's you own which card is your favorite? You have an amazing collection. As Hal said let's see more!

Old 12-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Come on, Marshall. Couldn't you find any PSA 10s? WOW - those are truly amazing! Thanks for sharing them and thanks to Leon for convincing you to do so.

I echo Jay Miller's sentiments - bring on the Old Judges next.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe maples

Those are some great T205 cards, I was disappointed when they ended with no Cobb though.

Joe

Old 12-21-2005, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

Marshall,

I must say that you have amassed some amazing cards, I was hoping that you could give us some insight on your collecting.

It seems that you only have cards that have been graded by PSA, do you only buy cards that have already been graded or do you also buy them raw? Would you ever get a GAI or SGC card and then have it crossed over? When you buy a card that is graded are you buy the grade or the card?

I appreciate yout insight and look forward to seeing more of your collection.

Robert

Old 12-21-2005, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

This is the kind of thing that makes this site so special---THANK YOU for sharing !!

Old 12-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Marshall-

Thanks much for sharing! Although I may never afford or find cards as nice as yours - it is absolutely stunning to see what a 'perfect' example of a card should look like. A MINT T-205 is a beauty to behold, absolutely.

Best-
Marc

Old 12-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Thanks Marshall. Those are some cards that most of us (self included) would never get to see otherwise.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 12-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

That PSA 9 Speaker card looks like a painting it is so perfect!

Old 12-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

leon, any chance Marshall will post pictures of his hobby room and memorabilia display cabinets as described in Stephen Wong's Smithsonian book? Loved seeing the individual pieces, but was sad not to see how Marshall displays his collection.

Thanks!

http://aaronsroom.blogspot.com/

Old 12-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Marshall reads the board and I am sure I will chat with him in the near future. Not sure if he has pics of what you are asking for but either he will repsond, or I will let ya know....I'm glad someone bumped this thread up again. I always thought/think the T205's are one of the most beautiful card sets ever produced. I am not sure it's even debatable....best regards

Old 12-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hey Leon- what about the N162 set? You could make a very formidable case that they are even nicer than T205. Less cards, but better artwork.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shannon

I have never been a fan of the T205 set, but Marshalls cards are unreal.

Old 12-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Love the T205 set (as most know) and seeing high grade examples on the board is always a treat. I still think that the Matty is great but I agree with a post above, the Cobb is a great card from this set and just beautiful.

Joshua