NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Default "My relationship with JP Cohen and Memory Lane"----From Marshall Fogel.

Posted By: Marshall Fogel

I am posting this for my friend Marshall Fogel. I think Marshall is a little better with words than computers .

To JP
From Marshall Fogel

Dear JP
I now have a reason to publicly express my account of what I think of you.

I preface my opinion with what are the essentials to a valued business and personal relationship with another. Those values, important to me, are honesty, fairness directed towards others, compassion, and trust.

You have more then met my threshold requirments as to these values.

I have, for a rather long period of time, been aware of your troubles and your ultimate accountability due to your employment in telemarketing.

However, the mitigating factors are more than compelling. When you were 15 years old, your mother was in a healthy relationship with the man that you viewed as a mentor and from whom you sought guidance. Ultimately, you participated in his telemarketing business. Your youthfulness brought with you inexperience, unbridled enthusiasm, and a real sense of naivety. These are forces that contrast to the culpability of all the adults that comprised the inappropriate telemarketing decisions.

To that end, it is clear to me that you fit the ancient Greek philosophy--suffering brings wisdom. You never lost your values that I believe you always possessed. You were compromised by your youth, stupidity, and inexperience. Since your experience, I can attest that you have earnestly applied the wisdom and the maturity to enforce and to protect your always existing values that cement our relationship and your relationship with others.

It is with these thoughts that I am confident that I speak for so many collectors and dealers who have exhcanged millions of dollars of value with you, and who, as I do, also value your presence in the collectible industry and your friendship.

Sincerely,

Marshall

edited the "author" part above....this letter is from Marshall

Old 01-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Weak.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Why weak?

Old 01-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Perhaps you might pass that letter along to all the people fleeced by a Mr JP Cohen, I'm sure they would be impressed.
No doubt his immaturity up until 5 years ago is a crutch we would all like to keep in the closet for when we commit acts of gross criminality.
Sadly, this letter does nothing for my opinion of Mr Fogel.

Sincerely
Daniel

Old 01-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Inappropriate post. We will all make our decisions on JP on our own. Testimonials aren't really necessary.

Frank

Old 01-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Administrator

For the record, I'm all for redemption and giving second chances to someone. However, in an industry that is so sensitive as ours, automatic acceptance based on positive dealings can be a slippery slope. Perhaps if Mr. Cohen came back into the industry after doing substantial community service and long-term retribution, folks might be persuaded?

Old 01-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Ditto.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Leon, can you enable audio on this forum? That letter needs some violin music.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I wouldn't mind having Marshall write my eulogy. It almost brought a tear to my eye (ALMOST).

Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

was this letter from M. Fogel solicited by yourself or someone you know for this PR exercise, or does Marshall frequent the board as a lurker?
If he does follow the board, I sure wish I had heard from him before this on issues regarding the hobby he could offer so much to, and not have his first offering be in support of someone who RUINED many other people's lives.
I would also love to know if Mr JP Cohen makes any voluntary ongoing restitution to his victims, such that he may repay his debt to them and truly display redemption of character and soul.
Surely James, you would think that a reasonable act of personal renewal?

Daniel

Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

So a man who apparently pleaded guilty and served two years give or take for defrauding the public is first victim and now hero? Well, it's America, anything is possible.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

So basically he's saying he knew about JP's past and kept it to himself until it came out on a public forum and his name got brought up in association?

Well,that's nice

Old 01-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean C

If you were aware of his prior bad acts and punishment, have you at any time questioned how it is that someone who was financially unable to provide restitution to the victims a few years ago is now able to run a multi-million dollar auction house?

Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

While sentiment and affection cannot wipe away sins and wrongs done to others, the testament of positive dealings by a very significant collector is not insignificant.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

This is a self-serving response that has more to do with Marshall being able to acquire the PSA 8 cards he so covets. We all made mistakes in our youth, myself included, but mine didn't include fleecing people out of millions of dollars. Sorry, but this is meaningless drivel.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator

I think personal renewal and trying to right that to which you have wronged is always a good first step of repentance. Continued good behavior is also important in building a relationship of trust. I fully realize that Mr. Cohen might be capable of building an honest living for himself in the future, I'm just not sure this is the industry for him. In an environment that is so sensitive (and rightfully so) to propriety, sustained personal integrity is paramount. Does anyone know of Mr. Cohen's pre-Memory Lane hobby involvement? Personally, I'm more concerned about the lack of bio's on the website and the possibility of shilling with these new records, that is my personal opinion.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

That's quite an indictment of Mr. Fogel Barry.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Has JP taken the fifth and that's why others are doing his "bidding" for him?

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 01-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

Has Fogel even been active in purchasing cards the last couple of years. He was a pioneer in the registry during the genesis, but has since been surpassed by many.

His letter is not insignificant, but it is certainly tainted to some extent. Fogel is a PSA employee and MemoryLane is a significant customer to PSA. I can not fathom this letter not being written without solicitation and some form of duress or obligation.

I would be more interested in statements from Don Luchious and/or Don Spence. They are also PSA HOF collectors, but I do not think they are actually employees. Their viewpoint would, I believe, be less contrived.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Exactly Barry, most 15 year-olds are not incoherent pawns without the ability to differentiate between right and wrong. As for Mr. Fogel, I suppose being a famous baseball card collector apparently lends more credence to their testimonial, a veritable star-power of ephemera, which I think is pathetic.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator

I call it as I see it. If Mr. Cohen wants to truly turn his life around he should find some spiritual endeavor, not run a million dollar baseball card auction business. If there were ever a place where people of questionable ethics could continue their shenanigans, it's selling baseball cards. As Jeff Lichtman pointed out, it's a completely unregulated industry. I have no idea how Mr. Cohen runs his business but I am not convinced he has found the light. What I think he has found is another way to make a lot of easy money. Marshall should be able to see that but ideals and truths can easily be pushed aside in pursuit of those coveted set registry cards. Sorry, I just don't feel like mincing words.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Well, we do know that several threads that were started about JP Cohen on the CU boards were unceremoniously removed this weekend by the powers that be. Perhaps Joe Orlando is taking them down so he can make a speech this Monday on WIWAG, JP Cohen, Dan McKee and the mysteriously disappearing pallet of PSA slabs from their parking lot a few years back. Yeah, I'm sure that's what the thought process must be.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 01-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Does anyone think Greg will be getting a nice fruit basket from Memory Lane this coming Christmas?

Old 01-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Administrator

I too would like to know who has been soliciting testimonials for a convicted felon. Is a Papal missive next??

Frank

Old 01-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I remember when I was 15 me and some friends loaded a few water balloons and when the school bus came by we heaved as many as we could at the bus. One went right through one of the open windows. A couple kids got really wet. Some kids saw me and the school bus driver called my mom. BOY, did I get in trouble for that one. I didn't do any hard time in the state penetentiary but the point is: we've all got our skeletons.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

In my opinion, it is one thing to take issue with the substance of Mr. Fogel's defense of Mr. Cohen (and I do), it is quite another to speculate that his motives are less than pure or that his sentiments (although we may believe they are misguided) are less than genuine.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Cat, imagine if your shennanigans had lasted for 15 years...oops, I mean your 'troubles.'

Old 01-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Last time I checked, tossing water balloons wasn't a federal felony.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 01-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I see nothing wrong at all with Marshall Fogel's letter. It's good to see his opinions and see that he is willing to stand up for JP Cohen. I don't understand why so many people here, including many of my friends, have a problem with this letter. All it is, is MF's opinion, it doesn't matter if it differs from yours or mine...we can all choose to let it influence us or not.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

"In my opinion, it is one thing to take issue with the substance of Mr. Fogel's defense of Mr. Cohen (and I do), it is quite another to speculate that his motives are less than pure or that his sentiments (although we may believe they are misguided) are less than genuine."

Lets not be naive, taking issue with the substance and questioning motives are not very far removed. I clearly defined why I personally feel the motives may be less than pure. I certainly could be wrong, but those questions are without doubt in my mind. They should be in the mind of any collector that puts 5 minutes of thought into the matter e.g.:

1. Fogel does work for PSA.
2. MemoryLane is a significant customer of PSA's.
3. MemoryLane's auctions are nearly 100% PSA cards.

I am not trying to bash PSA, if that is what you are truly trying to defend. What I can tell you is that MemoryLane will never get another penny from me. Cohen's crimes, in my mind, are entirely too contrived and evil for me to personally ignore. Financially, I am very conservative and socially I am liberally responsible. I have personally done many things in my life that I regret and I have family members and friends that have also contributed to the wrongs of society. None of which comes close, in my mind, to the scams of J.P. Cohen. Add that to the fact that there are several other industry sources that provide more cards than I can ever personally afford and it makes it an easy choice for me not to use MemoryLane, regardless whether or not Cohen is "born again."

Old 01-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I didn't solicit Marshall's (hi Marshall) opinion. He called me and we spoke about it. He told me what he wanted to do and I told him my thoughts and how this might be perceived, which it has been the way I thought and alluded to. regards

Old 01-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Administrator

The only person I am defending is Marshall Fogel, about whom I have never heard a bad word uttered and who, I presume until shown otherwise, is speaking his sincere personal beliefs. I disagree with what he has stated, but I can separate that from questioning his integrity.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

So Leon- why didn't Marshall just write his own letter? Why did he ask you to get in the middle of it?

Old 01-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

CMOKING- You are so correct...
No matter what has occurred, everyone is entitled to state their opinion even if we disagree...and no one should be ridiculed one way or another.

JP has been liked and respected by many in the industry. That does not exonerrate him from his wrongful past. He has to live with this revelation of a wrong doing that has obviously hurt many people and I am sure has hurt his own inner being. This does not mean anyone should crucify anybody else that feels they should state in this forum a positive opinion of how JP has transacted in this particular industry.

I sincerely hope and pray that JP Cohen can find a path back to correct his life mistakes and try to make amends over his lifetime, using his obvious talents and abilities productively. As far as baseball cards go, it is pretty insignificant compared to what really counts in life for we will all leave our legacy and memories when we pass.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

if you make a lot of money illegally , go to jail for rhe crime for 2 years. get out. you are allowed to keep the money you have acquired in this manner?

Old 01-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Mike,
What makes you think Marshall Fogel works for PSA?
JimB

Old 01-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I don't understand why Marshall Fogel can't post here himself. Everytime he wants to communicate with us Leon has to post it.

If you can set up an email account you can surely figure out how to register here to post.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

The PSA site lists Mr. Fogel as an employee expert for sports photos:

http://www.collectors.com/experts.chtml

BTW, for the record, Cohen's crimes were committed while he was in his late 20's...not as an "innocent 15 year old."

Frank

Old 01-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

"Mike,
What makes you think Marshall Fogel works for PSA?
JimB"

http://www.psadna.com/experts.chtml

Old 01-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Isn't Fogel a lawyer?

Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Marshall asked me to post a letter for him. I did. He wrote every word. I got in the middle because a friend (he) asked me to post a letter for him. I have done much, much more for people I know far less....Please don't let my innocent posting for him take anything away from the intent of the thread. I really had nothing to do with it, except operationally. I guess if someone wants to make a big deal out of it they can....

Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Administrator

I am missing something- did he ask you to type this because he doesn't know how to access this site? I think due to the nature of his testimonial and all the acrimony this topic has brought, this is something he should have done entirely himself. Not blaming you Leon for helping, just think if I were him I would want my statement to be totally independent.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

From the part where he addresses JP to the part where he signs off is pretty obvious. I understand your point but I really think me technically posting it is very insignificant and has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Nothing at all. Otherwise, maybe he should have physically posted it himself. I don't think it's that big of a deal....Like I say I have helped many folks operationally with the board and will continue to do so.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

"if you make a lot of money illegally , go to jail for rhe crime for 2 years. get out. you are allowed to keep the money you have acquired in this manner?" In general, unless there is a restitution order as part of the criminal case, it is up to the people who were defrauded to sue and get their money back. In this case, a class action would have been the likely vehicle for getting back the donations. The statute of limitations on fraud is 3 years from discovery in CA. I have no idea whether anyone has sued him but odds are the time to chase the bastard has passed.

As far as Marshall's letter, uh, ok, thanks for your opinion. Has no bearing on my opinion.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

it's odd he didn't post himself but I don't see why anyone would be so up in arms about Leon cutting/pasting something probably from an email into the thread. Someone buying million dollar cards SHOULD be able to post on a relatively simple forum but my wife can't turn the VCR on....woops we got rid of that thing anyway for a DVD player and she's definitely NOT buying million dollar cards. I also agree with the sentiment noted above about this not influencing how I'd think about anything anyway......

Old 01-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

thanks for the info adam. imo,seems like there should be a fine for this type of crime. or maybe that $$ be turned over to a charity.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Leon- I don't think Marshall Fogel should get a free pass here. I remember previously he received almost iconic stature from you concerning a post. I know he is your friend and undoubtedly a nice guy with a great collection but nearly everyone here has been blasted before for one thing or another and no one, from the most experienced to the newbie collector and all in between, gets a free pass like Fogel seems to get.
As far as your posting his letter for him, I don't have a problem with that.
tbob

Old 01-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Administrator

I have not said anything about anyone getting a free pass. I told Marhshall this kind of situation would happen. Everyone has to be accountable for what they do. You, I, Marshall, everyone. The board is relentless. I will still be friends with Marshall and do disagree with him, somewhat, on this matter. I guess I looked like I was trying to make it easy for him (don't see how) but all I did was technically put his letter up there. That's it. I didn't make a statement on purpose except said he is my friend. He still will be. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. Wow....

Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shane leonard

You guys wonder why dealers don't come on these boards to defend themselves? Why would J.P. Cohen want to explain himself to those of you who are only interested in tearing him apart on a message board? I am sure if J.P. Cohen was here today he would be very embarrassed and ashamed to speak of his short comings. If people knew the worst in all of us, would we not be ashamed? Would we still have that same job that we have now? Would we have a harder time making our next sale?
Marshall, I appreciate your time in explaining your relationship with J.P. You are a great friend and collector, but your time here is wasted.
Leon, monitoring this board has got to be tough. After reading the never ending posts about every dealer and their views on altercations, Drent's accusations and now the J.P saga- how can any dealer have a chance to discuss his side?

Old 01-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Leon, just edited my response (so you didn't get to see it before you responded) while you were posting to add that I have absolutely no problem with your posting his letter for him, none at all.
tbob