NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-26-2022, 10:35 AM
Jim Parker

Default Two New Sovereign Collection "Finds"

I always love these kinds of stories so I thought I would share my own little bit of good fortune.

I recently was able to purchase a large group of t206 cards from a dealer-friend of mine in the Rochester NY area. He had been sitting on these cards for over a year... much of that time was him waiting for them to be graded by PSA (and SGC)....he didn't want to sell to me until he had everyone of them back from grading....

Both collections were purchased by him about 18 months ago. Two separate acquaintences of his found out he was a card dealer, and presented him with these collections. Both owners had these collections passed down from their grandfathers back in the 70s or 80s when they passed. Their grandfathers were both the original owners who collected these in 1909-1911.

The first collection, has ~50 t206, and ~25 t205...and all but 3-4 were sovereign backs. My friend had them all graded by sgc and most were 3-4s...very well preserved! joss and lajoie portraits were the highlights, but about 10 hofs altogether.

The second collection was another great story...guy had just left them in his safe for 40+ years, and they were ALL t206...about 300 of them and 70% sovereign. This group however was entirely glued and/or taped into a scrapbook album. My friend had a colleague who was experienced in soaking so apparently they soaked them all and removed them from the scrapbook. Many came out great, but many had some paper loss and many had tape remnants still as well. He sent every one of them to PSA last year, hence the delay. I would have coached him not to bother with psa for some of the damaged cards, as many came back as AUTH and PSA1. Highlights were cobb bat on, wajo port, evers port, evers cubs, chance port, matty white cap and port, young bare hands, waddell port, etc. 42 hofers all sovs.

I have offered some offbacks for sale, but they were ones i had already...i have not yet made any of these collections generally available, but i will eventually.

You just never know what connections will be found. And i am SURE there are many many more tobacco-era collections just sitting in granchildren's safes.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:42 AM
David M.

That's great that these old collections continue to be discovered. I would be amazed if I was ever offered anything older than the 1970's! Got any pictures?

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 09-26-2022 at 01:07 PM.