NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-11-2022, 10:01 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Signed Gehrig paycheck wanted

Might be a long shot, but if anyone has a Gehrig signed PSA authenticated pay check they might consider parting with, I'd be happy to make a trade offer. Memory Lane sold one last night for 20k and I was the underbidder. Have wanted one of these for a while.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Might be a long shot, but if anyone has a Gehrig signed PSA authenticated pay check they might consider parting with, I'd be happy to make a trade offer. Memory Lane sold one last night for 20k and I was the underbidder. Have wanted one of these for a while.
Do you really need an easily identifiable--and impossible to fabricate--NY Yankee paycheck (which will also be signed by Ruppert and Barrow, and have bank stamps) to be PSA certified?
Old 09-13-2022, 09:10 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Do you really need an easily identifiable--and impossible to fabricate--NY Yankee paycheck (which will also be signed by Ruppert and Barrow, and have bank stamps) to be PSA certified?
Well in the last decade I haven’t seen one that wasnt PSA certified. I have a spreadsheet with 14 of them identified in recent sales and all in PSA holders.

Do you have a raw one?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-13-2022 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:38 AM

No, sorry. I don't.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:36 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Just my opinion, but I’d much rather have a non-PSA example. I hate the gigantic bar-coded slabs, and think it looks much better on its own, framed/matted with a vintage Gehrig photo. I would much rather not be reminded of corrupt PSA every time I look at and admire the piece.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
just my opinion, but i’d much rather have a non-psa example. I hate the gigantic bar-coded slabs, and think it looks much better on its own, framed/matted with a vintage gehrig photo. I would much rather not be reminded of corrupt psa every time i look at and admire the piece.
+100
Old 09-14-2022, 02:54 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I agree with Mark as well. Also, I won't pay more for something slabbed/certed VS not.
My solution to slabbing when framing is making a high quality copy of the item and framing that.
Below is my example of a Walter Johnson check I bought slabbed and then framed.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-14-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I agree with Mark as well. Also, I won't pay more for something slabbed/certed VS not.
My solution to slabbing when framing is making a high quality copy of the item and framing that.
All autograph pieces--and photos, too, for that matter, should be removed from their slabs. They are not an archival storage method--the plastic is not archivally safe. You will not find a single slabbed item at any serious repository of important paper items--museums, universities, libraries, etc.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 09-14-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I wouldn’t pay more for a slab but they don’t seem to irk me like they do many of you.
Maybe not archical material for the next 200 years, but sort of doubt anyones going to be around worrying about a Lou check in 2222.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I wouldn’t pay more for a slab but they don’t seem to irk me like they do many of you.
Maybe not archical material for the next 200 years, but sort of doubt anyones going to be around worrying about a Lou check in 2222.
You're quite wrong. First, it isn't two hundred years . It's more like twenty. Second, there will be interest in Gehrig two hundred years from now. And third, it's our job to protect these artifacts while we own them, and before we pass them on. If you're not willing to ensure their survival as best you can, you have no business owning them.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:32 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

David,

Have you ever bought anything in a PSA slab, be it a card, photo, ticket, whatever?

If so I'm guessing you immediately busted it out.

But just curious.
Old 09-14-2022, 10:24 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
You're quite wrong. First, it isn't two hundred years . It's more like twenty. Second, there will be interest in Gehrig two hundred years from now. And third, it's our job to protect these artifacts while we own them, and before we pass them on. If you're not willing to ensure their survival as best you can, you have no business owning them.
Provide me cites to a couple of peer reviewed scientific articles on this supposed 20 year rule. Sounds like it must be well established. I am real curious to read them. Thanks.

Gehrig will be important to mankind if 200 years. What a preposterous statement to make with such certainty.

If I want to buy 100 Gehrig checks and wipe my dogs ass with them that’s my prerogative. What a condescending moronic comment. All because I don’t have an objection to a psa holder. Get over yourself.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-14-2022 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Provide me cites to a couple of peer reviewed scientific articles on this supposed 20 year rule. Sounds like it must be well established. I am real curious to read them. Thanks.

Gehrig will be important to mankind if 200 years. What a preposterous statement to make with such certainty.

If I want to buy 100 Gehrig checks and wipe my dogs ass with them that’s my prerogative. What a condescending moronic comment. All because I don’t have an objection to a psa holder. Get over yourself.
You couldn't read a peer-reviewed scientific paper--that takes inmate intelligence, and years of training. Of course, your statement that no one will be interested in a Gehrig check in 2222 isn't preposterous. Only mine, that people will, is. And if you really believe that you don't have a responsibility to protect these items, you and your dog's ass have a lot in common.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:03 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
They show up in major auctions with some regularity. You just have to be diligent in the search. The price for this one was probably as good as it gets in today's market. Obviously, they are rare. Although the provenance for a payroll check speaks for itself, I think it is wise to have the 3rd party authentication for your future heirs. I have no idea about the potential breakdown of a slab over a long period of time but I would be relatively certain that 25 years is not that time frame. After all, someone just paid $12.6 million dollars for the 1952 Topps Mantle in the same slab. Buy what you want in the medium you like would be my best advise. I hate to see threads like this become so contentious and get nasty. We are all here because we like to share and gain knowledge together. We should be able to have disagreements without getting into the gutter. Just my opinion.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
David,

Have you ever bought anything in a PSA slab, be it a card, photo, ticket, whatever?

If so I'm guessing you immediately busted it out.

But just curious.
As a matter of fact, yes.
I've purchased one slabbed autograph.

Before and After:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gehrig snap 1.jpg (182.8 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg gehrig snap 2.jpg (178.3 KB, 400 views)

Last edited by David Atkatz; 09-15-2022 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand1com View Post
After all, someone just paid $12.6 million dollars for the 1952 Topps Mantle in the same
Nobody spends that kind of money as a card collector. That card will more than likely be flipped within five years. It's an investment, and not a long-term one. Thus, the slabbing is, archivally speaking. meaningless.
Ask the archivist at the Baseball Hall of Fame what they do with cards--or any other donated artifacts--that arrive slabbed.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:34 PM

BTW, here is one of my signed baseballs, stored as they are stored at the HoF, in acid free boxes, with acid-free tissue, and a mylar top. Not in ball cubes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box 2.jpg (190.5 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg b0x 2.jpg (191.5 KB, 349 views)
Old 09-16-2022, 03:35 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Your family will thank you for cracking the slabs. Upon sale, again we only rent these artifacts, likely they will sell for less, or be reslabbed.

Money losing proposition, regardless of ones ego

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-16-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Your family will thank you for cracking the slabs. Upon sale, again we only rent these artifacts, likely they will sell for less, or be reslabbed.

Money losing proposition, regardless of ones ego
Who knows, someday people might stop falling for the bullshit. "It's only good if and when we say it is. And then, when we're proved wrong, well, tough shit. It was only an opinion."
And, BTW, although my family will sell when I'm gone, I don't collect for the express purpose of making the largest profit when sold. Right now my collection will sell for a shitload more than I paid for it. I'm satisfied with that. And I have the satisfaction of knowing it's well protected.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 09-16-2022 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:25 PM

One more thing. I store my collection (not just baseball, but historical--and quite valuable, autographs, e.g., Newton, Einstein, The Beatles, Houdini...) in a fireproof safe. It's guaranteed to keep the contents at a temperature of no more than 300º F through two hours of a 2000º F fire. Paper, mylar, baseballs, all survive unscathed at 300º. This is a ball cube after five minutes at that temperature. (And remember slabs are made of the identical plastic.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cube 2.jpg (101.6 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg cube 4.jpg (122.8 KB, 345 views)
Old 09-18-2022, 02:00 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
One more thing. I store my collection (not just baseball, but historical--and quite valuable, autographs, e.g., Newton, Einstein, The Beatles, Houdini...) in a fireproof safe. It's guaranteed to keep the contents at a temperature of no more than 300º F through two hours of a 2000º F fire. Paper, mylar, baseballs, all survive unscathed at 300º. This is a ball cube after five minutes at that temperature. (And remember slabs are made of the identical plastic.)
What kind of safe you have? I’ve been looking at these for about a year but still haven’t found one I like.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:48 PM
Jamie

I saw a check signed by Gehrig today at the Philly show. I took a picture of it.

Check.JPG
Old 09-24-2022, 03:26 PM
James M.

Quote:
BTW, here is one of my signed baseballs, stored as they are stored at the HoF, in acid free boxes, with acid-free tissue, and a mylar top. Not in ball cubes.
David I would love to do this with some of my signed baseballs. Is there a place I can buy these from?

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:45 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
I saw a check signed by Gehrig today at the Philly show. I took a picture of it.

Attachment 535596
Now that is one big ugly hunk of plastic!
Old 09-24-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
David I would love to do this with some of my signed baseballs. Is there a place I can buy these from?
PM sent.

https://www.gaylord.com/New-Products...r-Lid/p/SBB333
Old 09-24-2022, 10:13 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
I don't think it's an issue of "I want a slabbed Gehrig check." It seems more to me like "I want a Gehrig check, but the only ones out there that I can find are slabbed so if I don't get a slabbed one I'm not getting one at all."

Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 09-24-2022 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:41 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
I don't think it's an issue of "I want a slabbed Gehrig check." It seems more to me like "I want a Gehrig check, but the only ones out there that I can find are slabbed so if I don't get a slabbed one I'm not getting one at all."
But the original post specified "PSA Authenticated". That's the part that elicited the responses.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:09 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

And in the third post I clarified that I’ve only ever seen Gehrig checks PSA encapsulated. Before the onslaught of comments.

There are a lot of people here who are on their high horse about grading and pounce on every opportunity to show how pure of a collector they are. I get it. See the same folks in every collector community. Makes people feel good to think they are doing it better than others.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-25-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:31 PM

Once again, you don't have a clue. But, hey... anyone who states he's free to wipe his dog's ass with his Gehrig checks--because they're his--is one hell of a collector.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:38 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I'm sorry, but that was pretty funny!
Old 09-26-2022, 01:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If I was so aggrieved by the mere existence of PSA holders I'd be on the phone all day long pleading with auction houses to crack Wagner cards out of their cases. "For the love of god man, please get it out of that case! NOW!!!" But that would require some actual effort. More fun to create a straw man on a chat board and self-servingly kick it down.

I would never in 1000 years lecture someone about how to store or display their collection. And then accuse them of crimes against the hobby if they don't do it exactly as I dictate. Simply a dick move through and through.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-26-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
If I was so aggrieved by the mere existence of PSA holders I'd be on the phone all day long pleading with auction houses to crack Wagner cards out of their cases. "For the love of god man, please get it out of that case! NOW!!!" But that would require some actual effort. More fun to create a straw man on a chat board and self-servingly kick it down.

I would never in 1000 years lecture someone about how to store or display their collection. And then accuse them of crimes against the hobby if they don't do it exactly as I dictate. Simply a dick move through and through.
Wow. You sure can rant, can't you? The only one creating a straw man here is you. "If I were that aggrieved, this is what I'd do. But I'm not. So I won't."

And thank you for not lecturing about the safest ways to store or display a collection. Because you don't seem to know shit about it.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:03 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Not looking to get in the middle of anything but a few points were made that cought my eye.
1- The 12 million dollar Mantle is in a slab. And yes it is but for almost all of its 70 years it was not in a slab. Only graded by sgc this year. And the owner obviously did a good job caring for the card outside of any slab.
2- We all know that time and the elements are not kind paper items. Spending a little time learning how to preserve them makes sense to me. I thank David for his many suggestions on preservation.
3- It was not long ago that PSA issued letters of authentication and did not slab autographed items. I personally prefer a letter to a slab. And provides the easy identification and marketability for my estate when I move on.
4- I just dont think I can get behind ( pardon the pun) wiping Gehrig Payroll checks on a dogs ass. Lou Gehrig has been my favorite ballplayer for most of my life. A great example of a life well lived and I do agree 200 or 500 years from now Gehrig will have some level of importance.