NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Luke Lyon

Default Tell me about your favorite books relating to the T206 set

I'm planning to track down some books in order to learn more about the set and baseball in general from 1909-1911. When I was a kid, I learned about all the HOFers and I memorized all their stats from my Baseball Encyclopedia. However, I don't know anything about the Southern League, or most of the players in the set who aren't in the HOF.
I'm looking for anything that you have enjoyed or found interesting, whether it's about the cards themselves, or the players on the cards. So far, the only literature I have read is Scot Reader's eBook, which I think is very informative and well put together. Thanks a lot!

Luke
Old 09-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Paul Carek

It's been mentioned in many threads here, but I really loved "Crazy '08."

http://www.crazy08.com/

Highly entertaining account of the '08 season. Technically not within the T206 time frame, but pretty much the same cast of characters.

Last edited by paulcarek; 09-20-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Barry Arnold

Default favorite

there are a number of good books out there about key players and a couple of new books out which are helpful but nothing compares to Lipset's volume on T cards IMHO.
there's not a day goes by that i don't turn to it for something.
all the best,
barry
Old 09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Luke Lyon

Default Where can this book be found?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
there are a number of good books out there about key players and a couple of new books out which are helpful but nothing compares to Lipset's volume on T cards IMHO.
all the best,
barry
Anybody know where I could find a copy of this?
Old 09-20-2010, 04:08 PM

The two SABR books, Deadball Stars are great.
JimB
Old 09-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
Anybody know where I could find a copy of this?
I bought all three volumes in one book on ebay several months ago. I think it was around $20-$25.

Also,

search this website and you are bound to come up with some really interesting, in depth threads.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Bob.T*th

Default Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
all the best,
barry
Could you please tell me the title of this book?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothrk View Post
Could you please tell me the title of this book?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Bob.T*th

Tim,

1. Thanks.
2. Nice collection.

Bob
Old 09-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Mark Macrae is selling the Lipset book these days - at work so don't have his e-mail but someone can post it hopefully. I think he has it for $25 or $30-a real bargain.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Bill Hedin

Default crazy '08

i really enjoyed this book and my daughters bought it on Amazon.
The Encyclopdia's are classic and a must for collectors, too.
Good luck and enjoy your project.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Mike Dugan

All the books mentioned are wonderful, the two SABR Deadball books give a great insight into most of the AL & NL players of the era. The Lipset books give unequaled (except for this forum) info on the cards.

If you want to know a little more about the actual personalities of the people that played the game nothing and I mean nothing compares to Lawrence Ritter's classic THE GLORY OF THEIR TIMES. It tops every published list that I have seen as the best baseball book ever written and I would agree.

I think the thing that struck a chord with me is that these guys seemed very normal. I wrote Ritter a letter years ago and he and Donald Honig both related the same type of story. When these guys finished their careers they had to pick up a normal lifestyle and feed their families. Wagner is a great example, job to job, needing help from others often.

This group headed right into the great depression too. Baseball was a great thing to reflect on for them but survival was the paramount factor in their lives just as it was to most of our ancestors.

All of this makes Cobb stand out even more. For such a strange guy he seemed to understand money and its' value to his future more than most. From all I have read I think McGraw was a close second, not in accumulated wealth but in financial accumen.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:38 PM

"The T206 Collection - The Players and Their Stories", by Tom & Ellen Zuppala, is a decent reference tool.

Edit: "The Unforgettable Season", by G.H. Fleming, is another classic account of the 1908 season culled from newspaper stories of the day.

Last edited by JohnH19; 09-22-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcarek View Post
It's been mentioned in many threads here, but I really loved "Crazy '08."

http://www.crazy08.com/

Highly entertaining account of the '08 season. Technically not within the T206 time frame, but pretty much the same cast of characters.
I agree. Terrific book on a wild season.

Tabe
Old 09-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Marty K.

Default Ring Around the Bases.......Ring Lardner

I recently read Ring's short story called "Horseshoes" , loved it and ordered the book from Amazon ..Very good writing and inside dope...Good Luck
Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 AM

Default T206 Books

I would also like to mention the audio version of Glory of Their Times.....it brings the listening experince to another level hearing the passion as they recite their stories. You can hear the passion they held for baseball. Both audio and printed portions contain parts of the "book" not available in each format. Some of my favorite "interviews" were with Goose Goslin, Hans Dobert and Jimmy Austin. The audio book is one of my favorite deadball books.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks4 View Post
I recently read Ring's short story called "Horseshoes" , loved it and ordered the book from Amazon ..Very good writing and inside dope...Good Luck
yanks if ya liked Horseshoes you should next read Alibi Ike.

"The Glory of their Times" is a must read for T206 collectors.

My favorite baseball books are "The Fireside Book of baseball" pick any volume you can find