NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-14-2021, 05:58 PM
Clint

Awesome cards Charlie!
Old 03-15-2021, 06:30 PM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Photos

Although I have over 2400 team issued 8x10 photos, it's always nice to find new poses I don't have.

A big thanks to Charlie Strite for hooking me up with these four 1961-1962 beauties. I really appreciate it.

I'm sure there are plenty more out there, so the hunt continues...

Marv Throneberry and Russ Snyder

SCAN9933.JPG SCAN9934.JPG

Jim Busby and Dick Hyde

SCAN9935.JPG SCAN9936.JPG
Old 03-16-2021, 06:52 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default I had to post a few.

Here is one corner. The ashtray makes me laugh all the time as this would have something I would have/may have done as a kid. Every household had these types of ashtrays it seemed liked in the 60s/70s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5529.jpg (74.6 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5528.jpg (70.5 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5527.jpg (70.0 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5526.jpg (75.9 KB, 339 views)
Old 03-18-2021, 06:19 AM
Bill H@e1ig

About 25 years ago I was contacted by a manager of a Chi Chi's Restaurant (remember those?) in Kansas City who read about my collection in Sports Illustrated who told me that he had a signed credit card receipt from a time when Cal Ripken Jr. ate there in 1987 & asked if I would be interested.

While I doubt Cal still has this Visa card, I did erase (via photoshop) the last 4 digits of his card #:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-18-2021 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:49 PM
Alan Strout

Default 1961 Victoria/Ardmore Rosebuds (updated from post #1096)

While the 2021 version of spring training has been a let down, the first quarter of 2021 has been better than I could have hoped for collection wise. I've added some nice team issued 8x10 photos and a 1964 Stockton Ports program, but that pales to today's mail.

I am beyond thrilled to add a 1961 Ardmore Rosebuds program to my collection. I never thought I would find one. I've coveted what is probably the only surviving copy for a long time and finally talked the owner into parting with it. It won't have a more loved home....

The Orioles Class AA affiliate in 1961 was the Victoria Rosebuds. They played in the Texas League. On May 27th, the Rosebuds moved from Victoria, Texas to Ardmore, Oklahoma. The Rosebuds were 18-25 during their time in Victoria and 39-58 in Ardmore, for a combined record of 57-83.

1961 Ardmore Rosebuds Program

SCAN9944.JPG SCAN9945.JPG

SCAN9946.JPG SCAN9947.JPG

An interesting side note is that all the Texas League teams played 24 games, that counted in the 1961 standings, against teams from the Mexican League. The program is from a game against the Puebla Parakeets. On the Parakeets roster is Dan Bankhead. Bankhead was the first black pitcher in the Major Leagues, pitching in 4 games with Brooklyn in 1947 and hitting a HR.

The closest I've come to anything from the Victoria period, is an away program from Amarillo, when they played the Gold Sox. The Rosebuds played in Amarillo from May 27-29, so the insert roster sheet is likely the last time they were identified as Victoria.

1961 Victoria Rosebuds away program

SCAN9949.JPG SCAN9948.JPG
Old 03-18-2021, 04:57 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post

I am beyond thrilled to add a 1961 Ardmore Rosebuds program to my collection. I never thought I would find one. I've coveted what is probably the only surviving copy for a long time and finally talked the owner into parting with it. It won't have a more loved home....

The Orioles Class AA affiliate in 1961 was the Victoria Rosebuds. They played in the Texas League. On May 27th, the Rosebuds moved from Victoria, Texas to Ardmore, Oklahoma. The Rosebuds were 18-25 during their time in Victoria and 39-58 in Ardmore, for a combined record of 57-83.

An interesting side note is that all the Texas League teams played 24 games, that counted in the 1961 standings, against teams from the Mexican League. The program is from a game against the Puebla Parakeets. On the Parakeets roster is Dan Bankhead. Bankhead was the first black pitcher in the Major Leagues, pitching in 4 games with Brooklyn in 1947 and hitting a HR.

The closest I've come to anything from the Victoria period, is an away program from Amarillo, when they played the Gold Sox. The Rosebuds played in Amarillo from May 27-29, so the insert roster sheet is likely the last time they were identified as Victoria.
Alan:

Congratulations on this new acquisition. I know how much you enjoy collecting affiliate game programs (particularly older ones). How badly did you have to twist the owner's arm? lol

Bill
Old 03-18-2021, 05:45 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Alan:

Congratulations on this new acquisition. I know how much you enjoy collecting affiliate game programs (particularly older ones). How badly did you have to twist the owner's arm? lol

Bill
It was a lot like the Chris Davis and Orioles contract negotiations... I was certainly bidding against myself, but made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
I paid $150, but don't expect to ever see another since the team only lasted half a season with poor attendance.

Still a ways to go and some pretty obscure teams to complete the run. My 2021 goal was three programs and I've already picked up two.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:18 PM
Clint

Congrats Alan on your new program!
Old 03-19-2021, 06:47 AM
Bill H@e1ig

neat dual signed photo of both Brooks & Cal....Not sure but it looks like it was taken in the early 1990's (perhaps a Dream Week?) however signed later on:

Old 03-19-2021, 02:10 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesbb6 View Post
Here is one corner. The ashtray makes me laugh all the time as this would have something I would have/may have done as a kid. Every household had these types of ashtrays it seemed liked in the 60s/70s
I especially like the ‘83 cardboard sign!
Old 03-20-2021, 09:38 AM
Bill H@e1ig

1979 ALCS NBC Press Credential signed by Don Stanhouse:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-20-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:06 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1968

Good Sunday morning. This week I will update you on 1968 entries to the Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set. We'll begin this week with the Bazooka slots. Technically, there are two entries for Bazooka in 1968 but at the top left, I am showing you 3 entries. First, you see the Panel, which is actually the backside of the Bazooka Box showing Brooks. The Panel and the single hand cut card below it are interchangeable according to PSA. The single cut card is the highest graded coming in at a PSA 10. This card is the only one graded, as well. The Panel is a high grade (PSA 8) with three graded higher. The box is the highest graded with another peer. All of these Bazooka examples can be expensive. Next is the 1968 O Pee Chee version of the "Topps" Pin-up. This pin-up looks the same as the 1967 Topps version but the Canadian version is graded as 1968. This examples graded as a PSA 2. I have had 3 graded and can't seem to get higher than "Good." There are 2 graded higher. Centering seems to be the challenge wiht O Pee Chee and pin-ups. Moving right, you next see the 1968 Topps Action All Star Stickers with Brooks and two of his friends. This sticker is graded as a PSA 3 and like the O Pee Chee Pin-up, I do not have much luck with grading these. Generally, these do not grade higher than a 4 or 5 so mine is actually pretty nice. This sticker is part of a longer sleeve of stickers, which are fairly expensive. The stickers were a test issue and were sold with one sticker per pack. Below the sticker is the 1968 Dexter Press Post Card. This card is graded as a PSA 8. The Dexter Press Post Cards include 77 cards produced by Coca-Cola. There are 6 Brooks cards graded higher. Next, you will find the Atlantic Oil Play Ball Card featuring Brooks. There were 50 total players. The AL was on a Red Card while the National League was featured on a Blue Bordered Card. The cards either had the game rules on the back or a "play ball" back. The cards were perforated so conditioning can be a challenge. Here, the version with the rules on the back is graded a PSA 6, which is a high graded card given the challenges with these cards (there are 2 graded higher). I am showing you a PSA 3 "play ball" back version (4 graded higher). The next card is on my top 5 favorite Brooks cards list. Another Test Issue...here is the 1968 Topps Discs Facing Right. This card has great eye appeal and will cost you dearly. This card was supposed to be part of a pin-back button issue, which never materalized. There were 24 discs in the set on an uncut sheet with numberous HOF'ers. This card is the only one graded by PSA. This and the 67 disc with eyes facing left (I showed you this one last week) are very similar looking in my opinion. The 1968 Topps Game card is next. This card is graded as a PSA 8, which is affordable but a PSA 9 can be worth over $1,300 if not more. I can't seem to find a PSA 9 but they pop up routinely. There are 21 graded higher. This card was offered as in insert or you could buy the entire set of 33 cards. Next, you see the lone entry from 1968 with a Coca-Cola Cap. There will be more "soon" (I have 5 other versions at PSA being graded). This verion is the Orioles Team Cap O10 and you can tell it is 1968 because there is no position annotated right of his face. This cap is the highest graded but soon, you will see more and more of these being graded. Next, you will find the many entries from Topps with Brooks. You see the regular Topps issues, Milton Bradley, O Pee Chee and Venezuela. The Regular issued cards from Topps has 4 entries. You see the Bird Belters at a PSA 9 grade (surprisingly, there are 57 GEM cards). Next, you see the PSA 9 All Star Card (there are 30 graded GEMs) followed by the Team Card, which is one of 13 GEMs. Next, you see the GEM graded regular Topps Brooks issue (there are 30 GEMs) along with Milton Bradley (graded PSA 7 with 10 graded higher) and O Pee Chee (mine is graded PSA 8 with 9 graded higher). Finally, you see the 1968 Venne cards. The All Star Card is graded as a PSA 3 (6 graded higher), the team card is graded as a PSA 5, which is very nice (1 graded higher), and the regular issue is graded as a PSA 2 (7 graded higher). I have several of the Venes at PSA for possible upgrades. Well, that is it for this week. Hope you enjoyed the 1968 entries...so many different items to collect. Next week has as many as 19 entries and throughout the remaining 9 weeks, the number of entries rise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1968 Brooks PSA Master.jpg (78.2 KB, 321 views)
Old 03-21-2021, 01:50 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Good Sunday morning. This week I will update you on 1968 entries to the Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set. We'll begin this week with the Bazooka slots. Technically, there are two entries for Bazooka in 1968 but at the top left, I am showing you 3 entries. First, you see the Panel, which is actually the backside of the Bazooka Box showing Brooks. The Panel and the single hand cut card below it are interchangeable according to PSA. The single cut card is the highest graded coming in at a PSA 10. This card is the only one graded, as well. The Panel is a high grade (PSA 8) with three graded higher. The box is the highest graded with another peer. All of these Bazooka examples can be expensive. Next is the 1968 O Pee Chee version of the "Topps" Pin-up. This pin-up looks the same as the 1967 Topps version but the Canadian version is graded as 1968. This examples graded as a PSA 2. I have had 3 graded and can't seem to get higher than "Good." There are 2 graded higher. Centering seems to be the challenge wiht O Pee Chee and pin-ups. Moving right, you next see the 1968 Topps Action All Star Stickers with Brooks and two of his friends. This sticker is graded as a PSA 3 and like the O Pee Chee Pin-up, I do not have much luck with grading these. Generally, these do not grade higher than a 4 or 5 so mine is actually pretty nice. This sticker is part of a longer sleeve of stickers, which are fairly expensive. The stickers were a test issue and were sold with one sticker per pack. Below the sticker is the 1968 Dexter Press Post Card. This card is graded as a PSA 8. The Dexter Press Post Cards include 77 cards produced by Coca-Cola. There are 6 Brooks cards graded higher. Next, you will find the Atlantic Oil Play Ball Card featuring Brooks. There were 50 total players. The AL was on a Red Card while the National League was featured on a Blue Bordered Card. The cards either had the game rules on the back or a "play ball" back. The cards were perforated so conditioning can be a challenge. Here, the version with the rules on the back is graded a PSA 6, which is a high graded card given the challenges with these cards (there are 2 graded higher). I am showing you a PSA 3 "play ball" back version (4 graded higher). The next card is on my top 5 favorite Brooks cards list. Another Test Issue...here is the 1968 Topps Discs Facing Right. This card has great eye appeal and will cost you dearly. This card was supposed to be part of a pin-back button issue, which never materalized. There were 24 discs in the set on an uncut sheet with numberous HOF'ers. This card is the only one graded by PSA. This and the 67 disc with eyes facing left (I showed you this one last week) are very similar looking in my opinion. The 1968 Topps Game card is next. This card is graded as a PSA 8, which is affordable but a PSA 9 can be worth over $1,300 if not more. I can't seem to find a PSA 9 but they pop up routinely. There are 21 graded higher. This card was offered as in insert or you could buy the entire set of 33 cards. Next, you see the lone entry from 1968 with a Coca-Cola Cap. There will be more "soon" (I have 5 other versions at PSA being graded). This verion is the Orioles Team Cap O10 and you can tell it is 1968 because there is no position annotated right of his face. This cap is the highest graded but soon, you will see more and more of these being graded. Next, you will find the many entries from Topps with Brooks. You see the regular Topps issues, Milton Bradley, O Pee Chee and Venezuela. The Regular issued cards from Topps has 4 entries. You see the Bird Belters at a PSA 9 grade (surprisingly, there are 57 GEM cards). Next, you see the PSA 9 All Star Card (there are 30 graded GEMs) followed by the Team Card, which is one of 13 GEMs. Next, you see the GEM graded regular Topps Brooks issue (there are 30 GEMs) along with Milton Bradley (graded PSA 7 with 10 graded higher) and O Pee Chee (mine is graded PSA 8 with 9 graded higher). Finally, you see the 1968 Venne cards. The All Star Card is graded as a PSA 3 (6 graded higher), the team card is graded as a PSA 5, which is very nice (1 graded higher), and the regular issue is graded as a PSA 2 (7 graded higher). I have several of the Venes at PSA for possible upgrades. Well, that is it for this week. Hope you enjoyed the 1968 entries...so many different items to collect. Next week has as many as 19 entries and throughout the remaining 9 weeks, the number of entries rise.
Charlie,

Take a WILD guess on which one is my favorite!
Old 03-22-2021, 05:25 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I especially like the ‘83 cardboard sign!
Lucked out and found a random lot of signs/banners from a stadium employee.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:37 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesbb6 View Post
Lucked out and found a random lot of signs/banners from a stadium employee.
Awesome! I’m still missing an example from ‘83. Hopefully I’ll pick one up someday. I have a coupe signs framed, but need to get a couple more done so I can put up. The metal signs I just attach to the wall w/o any frames.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Bill H@e1ig

A 1950's Orioles Bolo Tie holder (about 2" tall)..It's available if anyone is interested (DM me):

Last edited by roarfrom34; 03-27-2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:22 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1969

Good morning! This week I will share with you the 1969 entries for the Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set. There are 20 items required for 1969. I have a few extras, which I will cover. First, you see at the top left is the 1969 MLB Photo Stamps. These stamps came from an album. Technically, the individual stamp and the 12 player stamp page is required and both are tied as highest graded. The next required entry is the 8 player panel, which comes from an album. This panel only grades as authentic. Next, you see the two 1969 Topps Stamps panels at the far right. The panels are graded in a vertical and horizonal configuration. The horizonal panel is #6 in the stamp series. It is hard to get a numeric grade on the #6 panel; the other panel eluded me for a year or so and finally was able to get one graded and was very pleased with the PSA 3.5 grade. The individual stamp is graded as PSA 9 and is tied as highest graded. All of the stamps listed are affordable but not necessarily easy to find. The 1969 Brooks picture pack picture is graded as a PSA 10 and is the highest graded. For some reason, PSA will no longer grade this one and the one shown is the only one graded. It was part of the Master but now it is optional. Next you see one of my favoite entries...the Transogram. The Transogram is required as a box; here you see it as a PSA 1 and it is folded. I am not a fan of this entry as a "folded" box but I bought it this way and would never ruin one of these; there are only 2 graded and one is graded higher. The other entry is the small panel from the top of the box (this PSA 5 small card is one of two graded) and the hand cut card from the back of the box. The hand cut card is the highest graded with one peer. I also show the actual box with the Brooks figurine. The 1969 MLBPA Pin is graded as a PSA 8. I looked for this pin for a long time and when found, it seemed they appeared routinely. This pin has one graded higher. The 1969 Milton Bradley PSA 8 is tied as highest graded with another card. For some reason, I collect all the Milton Bradley sets with Brooks; one set I bought just to get the Brooks! I will go to the right of the picture again and discuss the 1969 Nabisco Card, which is tied as the highest graded. This PSA 9 is amazing and is a recent addition. I collect the 1969 Nabisco hand cut cards; one set is listed on the PSA Nabisco Team Flakes 1969 Master Set and I am working on two other sets, which I will likely trade or sell. I forgot to show the 1969 Nabisco Panel with Brooks and Fregosi. I would love to find the entire Nabisco sheet featuring Brooks. Next, is the PSA Global Imports 9 of Hearts. This card is part of a set. There are 3 graded higher. The Topps and O-Pee-Chee Deckles are graded as a PSA 7 (14 graded higher) and PSA 8 (3 graded higher). The 1969 Topps Super at the bottom of the photo is one of my favorites. This card is very expensive at this grade and there are 3 PSA 10s. Finally, the regular Topps Cards are listed. The All Star Card has many graded higher; same with the Check List. The PSA 9 regular entry is an expensive card with over 190 graded as a PSA 9; there are 9 PSA 10s. Hope you enjoyed this week's 1969 posting and we'll see you next week with the 1970 entries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1969 Brooks PSA Master.jpg (77.9 KB, 278 views)
Old 03-28-2021, 03:12 PM
Alan Strout

Charlie,

More nice items.

I decided to wait and post some of the team issued Brooks Robinson photos from 1967-69. The Orioles used the same photo for most of the postcards and 8x10 photos during that period and it's impossible to put an exact date on them.

1967-69 Team Issued Postcards

196769 Postcards 30 - Copy.jpg 196769 Postcards 31 - 1.jpg 196769 Postcards 31 - 2.jpg

196769 Postcards 31 - Copy.jpg

1967-69 Team Issued 8x10 Photos

Robinson, Brooks 10 - Copy.jpg Robinson, Brooks 12 - Copy.jpg

The Orioles also provided newspapers and magazines with 8x10 team publicity sheets to be used in their publications. Often times these are found cut into smaller photos or missing parts based upon how they were used.

1967 Publicity Photo

1967 Team 2 - Copy.JPG

1968 Publicity Photo

1968 Team 2 - Copy.JPG

1969 Publicity Photo

1969 Team 2 - Copy.JPG

One last item to go with Charlie's nice collection of Transogram pieces.
I believe this was cut from a larger Transogram store display. Interestingly, they mislabeled the Brooks and Frank Robinson photos.

1969 Transogram Store Display

1969 Transogram Display Panel - Copy.jpg
Old 03-28-2021, 04:41 PM

Allan
How big is the transogram panel you posted above. Great piece. Never owned that one. I do have an uncut Tasso poster piece that is huge with brooks on it !
Love the transogram!
Scott

Last edited by quitcrab; 03-28-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:47 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Alan
How big is the transogram panel you posted above. Great piece. Never owned that one. I do have an uncut Tasco poster piece that is huge with brooks on it !
Love the transogram!
Scott
Scott,

It's about 2" x 3 1/4" and cardboard. It isn't poster type paper. I'm sure it's been cut from a larger display piece. I found this picture online. Looks like a store display.

transogram.jpg
Old 03-29-2021, 04:57 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Transogram

Possible better pics...

Transogram 1.jpg
Transogram 2.jpg
Old 03-29-2021, 05:19 PM
Clint

Mark if you wouldn’t mind, would you cut the three Oriole players off and send them my way. Appreciate it!
Old 03-29-2021, 05:22 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Mark if you wouldn’t mind, would you cut the three Oriole players off and send them my way. Appreciate it!
If I was young and had this piece it would have been cut for sure... Hey Alan has one cut already; see if he’ll send it your way 😳.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:23 PM
Clint

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
If I was young and had this piece it would have been cut for sure... Hey Alan has one cut already; see if he’ll send it your way 😳.
It’s worth a shot😁
Old 04-03-2021, 11:35 AM
Mike Magee

Default 1983 Topps Rickey Henderson Record Breaker with Cal

Hi everyone,

I have the 1983 Topps set and I try to get as many cards as I can autographed. The Rickey Henderson Record Breaker card (#2) has a guest appearance by Cal in the background.

I was finally able to get both players to sign the card. It's now my favorite card in the set.

1983 Topps Rickey and Cal 2.jpg

Last edited by ripfan008; 04-03-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:26 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have the 1983 Topps set and I try to get as many cards as I can autographed. The Rickey Henderson Record Breaker card (#2) has a guest appearance by Cal in the background.

I was finally able to get both players to sign the card. It's now my favorite card in the set.

Attachment 450385
Mike

You should have had Cal sign half his name

Nice piece
Old 04-04-2021, 08:52 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1970

Happy Easter and good morning. Today I will discuss the 1970 entries. Starting at the top and far right is the 1970 Traffic Safety sheet and individual card. The Washington Senators have a similar card set. This 10 card set includes many of the stars for the Orioles and their HOF Manager. The sheet is out there for about a $100 but grades hard. I always buy these sheets when I see them if priced right. The Brooks card is a PSA 6 and there are 2 higher. Next, is the Action Cartridge. The Action Cartridge set features many different athletes. The master requires a panel and the box. The box is a PSA 3 with 2 higher. The panel is a PSA 2 with 5 higher. These are out there for a reasonable price but they are not always in the best shape. I have several of these but not willing to send in for a higher grade. Has anyone ever watched the video? Next, boelow the panel is the Brooks 1970 Matchbook graded and the matchbook ungraded. Sadly, the graded version is without the "matches." I love this 24 matchbook set. I have all of them (with lots of extras) but the Weaver...can anyone help me? Sorry...back to the Master...the Brooks matchbook is not graded that high but it is good enough at a PSA 2.5. Only one other is graded and it has a higher grade. These are very hard to find but affordable. Going to the far right is the 1970 Kellogs PSA 9 card. These are readily available at the PSA 9 grade (187 total). There are 36 PSA 10s but for some reason, I have never seen a GEM example. Next you have two rows of Topps and O-Pee-Chee (OPC) Cards. The Topps regular card is a PSA 9 with 58 peers. There are 2 PSA 10s. The OPC PSA 8 is the highest graded with 9 peers. The Topps Orioles team card is a PSA 8.5; there are 13 graded higher. This is a very tough card to grade. The OPC Orioles card is even tougher to grade; here I have a PSA 7 and there are 7 graded higher. Finally, one of my favorite AS cards is the 1970 verstion. The Topps AS Card is a PSA 8 with 107 peers. There are 18 graded higher. The PSA 9s are very expensive. The OPC AS card is a PSA 5 with 1 peer and as many as 6 graded higher. I am always looking to upgrade this card. The 1970s in general grade hard, which is interesting. Finally, the Carl Aldana 12 Card Orioles Set includes two Brooks cards. This rare set commemorates the 1970 WS Championship. The cards are done in black with a picture and last name. The back is blank. They were issued in the Baltimore area. There are 10 players plus Brooks with two versions. The one shows his face ("face showing" is a PSA 7 with 2 graded higher) and the other his back ("back showing" is a PSA 7 with 3 graded higher). Well, that is all this week. Next week we will discuss 1971, which has twice the entries as 1971.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970 Brooks.jpg (77.6 KB, 231 views)
Old 04-05-2021, 06:40 PM
Alan Strout

Charlie,

Here are a few team issued items from around 1970.

In 1970, the Orioles switched from B&W postcards to color versions. From 1970-1972, the same photos were used. The best way to identify the 1970 postcards are the smaller font used for the printed name.

1970 Postcard

1970 Postcards 11 - Copy.JPG

The Orioles also printed three different borderless style postcards of Bob Grich, Davey Johnson and Brooks Robinson. They are often listed as 1969, because of the sleeveless photo used for the Davey Johnson postcard. However, I believe these were done sometime between 1970-1972.

Borderless Postcards

1969 Postcards (Borderless) 01 - Copy.jpg

8x10 photos are also tough to date, but I believe these are around 1970, possibly 1971.

Team Issued 8x10 Photos

Robinson, Brooks 16 - Copy.jpg Robinson, Brooks 13 - Copy.jpg

1970 Publicity Photo

1970 Team 2 - Copy.JPG

One last card is from the Orioles Pictures of Champions set.

1970 Pictures of Champions #1 - Copy.jpg
Old 04-06-2021, 09:03 AM
John
John Pur.cell

Picked up this cool decal transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2021, 12:38 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp3rd View Post
Picked up this cool decal transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John,

Nice. I have the same decal, but with a blue background. I didn't realize they came in different colors. Is yours 3x4 and have Topflight on the back?

1950's Topflight Decal 3x4.JPG

I also have this nice 3x5 Impko Decal.

1950's Impko Decal 3x5 - Copy.jpg
Old 04-07-2021, 05:19 PM

Default 1970 Photos

Hi, Alan. Great photos. Thanks for sharing. By the way, PSA considers the Orioles Champions card as 1971. I will include that card in next week’s update. ThNks for the comments.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:11 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1971

Good Sunday morning. Went to my first Orioles Game last night...not a great finish but it was nice to see the fans, ballfield and Orioles "stuff." As promised, this week is 1971 and there is a lot of ground to cover. First off, you have the two versions of the Dell Stamps (All Stars and Team). I believe I added the two sheets to the Master. Both the sheets came from a book and both are highest graded as PSA 8. The individual all star stamp is tied as highest graded (PSA 10) and the team version is a PSA 9...there is one PSA 10. Lots of HoF'ers on these two sheets. Moving right, my favorite, the 1971 Bazooka entries. In 1971, you had the Numbered (very hard to find) and no number version. I mistakenly included the 1963 Bazooka box (it took 30 minutes or so to pull these out, display them and put them in their home so sorry...not enough energy to redo all of this but if anyone insists, happy to pull the 1971 box out and take a picture.). My 1971 no number Brooks bazooka box with Hank Aaron is graded PSA 5. It is hard to find these boxes at an affordable price. There are 7 graded higher. The numbered hand cut card is graded PSA 7 with 2 higher. The hand cut panel is graded PSA 4 with 3 graded higher. The numbered hand cut card is a PSA 8 with 5 higher and the no number panel is a PSA 8 with 6 graded higher. The Bazooka cards, boxes and panels are all hard to find and expensive. Next, is the 1971 Orioles Post Card as a PSA 6 with two graded higher. I am showing the 1971 Milk Duds variations. The Master requires the #18 and #23 box and hand cut card. Brooks had two entries in this set. These are hard to grade. I am showing the #18 PSA 5 with 5 higher and #23 PSA 6 with 1 higher. The card is a PSA 8 with 5 higher. I am also showing the ungraded box. The 1971 Topps Tattos are perforated and shown is the PSA 9 with Brooks and Nate Colbert as a PSA 9 (tied as higherst graded). The individual Brooks is a PSA 5. The master includes one or the other; I need to find a better individual Brooks Tattoos. Another one of my favorites is the 1971 Orioles Champions Card of Brooks; this one is a PSA 8 and tied highest graded. I have the entire set. I found the set at a show and paid $60...what a find! This set celebrates the 1970 WS championship (I believe it was released in the Baltimore area in late 1970) but for some reason, PSA counts it as a 1971. The 1971 Brooks Coin is a PSA 8 and there are 2 graded higher. This coin is harder to grade than the earlier 1960s coins. The 1971 All Star Photo is a PSA 9 and there are 3 graded higher. The bottom row includes the 1971 OPC and Topps entries. I have not had a lot of luck with the WS OPC card; here, I have a PSA 3 with 40 graded higher. The OPC Brooks regular card is a beauty. This PSA 7 is a high grade; there are 7 higher. The OPC WS game 5 card of Brooks is another nice one coming in at PSA 7; there are 9 graded higher. The Topps WS card is a PSA 8 and very difficult to find graded higher. My PSA 8 is probably the best I will own; these are so expensive. There are 19 graded higher. The 1971 Brooks Topps is a PSA 8.5. When I found this, I thought I might upgrade it but not likely given the low numbers (12 higher) and extreme cost. The last item is the WS card of Brooks as a PSA 8 with 40 graded higher. The next entry is the 1971 Greatest Moments. Surprisingly, there are 18 graded higher than my PSA 7. These are so expensive. This one is very nice; I had a PSA 6 but sold it to make room for this one (gosh...I regret that). The 1971 Topps Super is a PSA 9 and tied as highest graded with 8 others. I prefer the 1969 Super but this one is very nice. This was a big list so sorry about not providing more details on the different items. Next week, 1972, will have a 1/3 of the entries as 1971. Have a great week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1971 Brooks.jpg (77.9 KB, 187 views)
Old 04-18-2021, 10:33 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1972

Good Sunday, everyone. This week I will discuss the Brooks Master 1972 entries, which there are 8. 1972 did not have as many entries as 1971, but some nice cards, nonetheless. First, is the 1972 Milton Bradley. This card is not easy to find. I actually bought the entire set on an Auction to get this card (ungraded). This PSA 6 example is a nice grade but there is one higher. Next, is the 1972 Topps Candy Lids Test Issue. Unlike other Test Issues, PSA graded this one with a number. The PSA 4 is a decent grade. This card is pretty difficult to find. I think I overpaid for it, but was happy to make the deal. There are 2 graded higher. The 1972 Venezuelan Stamp is extremely hard to find, rarely grades higher than VG. This example is a PSA 1. The stamp uses the same photo as the 1972 Topps card and has a blank back for a stamp album. The next entry is the 1972 Canadian Pro Star Promotions card, which is an oversized card and grades as a PSA 9. There are two PSA 10s. This card is very expensive and not easy to find. I believe there is a PSA 9 on ebay for around $400. Next, is the 1972 Topps regular card with the Orioles team card. The regular card is plentiful at a high grade. This PSA 9 has over 100 peers. There are 15 PSA 10s; if anyone has one laying around, let me know. The Orioles Team card is a PSA 10. There are 23 other PSA 10s. Next, is the Brooks Topps Boy Hood Photo Card and the OPC version. Both are graded as PSA 9s. The Topps version has 64 graded peers with 7 PSA 10s. The OPC version is highest graded with 9 peers. Hope you enjoyed the posting. See you next week with the 1973 entries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1972 Brooks.jpg (77.8 KB, 163 views)
Old 04-18-2021, 10:37 AM

Default Baltimore Orioles Wild Bill Hagy Megaphone

Hi, everyone. Curious if anyone has the details on the Wild Bill Hagy Megaphone. I have been looking for this for a year or two and won on an auction recently. Can anyone educate me on how you would get this megaphone (purchase in the Orioles Team Store or was it a give away?). Also, any idea what year these were sold/given to fans? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WB Megaphone.jpg (74.8 KB, 155 views)
Old 04-18-2021, 12:18 PM
Rich

I love the Candian Pro Stars Brooks. A fellow collector here at Net54 sold me mine a few years ago. In fact that whole set is really neat and chock full of Hall of Famers.
Quote:
Good Sunday, everyone. This week I will discuss the Brooks Master 1972 entries, which there are 8. 1972 did not have as many entries as 1971, but some nice cards, nonetheless. First, is the 1972 Milton Bradley. This card is not easy to find. I actually bought the entire set on an Auction to get this card (ungraded). This PSA 6 example is a nice grade but there is one higher. Next, is the 1972 Topps Candy Lids Test Issue. Unlike other Test Issues, PSA graded this one with a number. The PSA 4 is a decent grade. This card is pretty difficult to find. I think I overpaid for it, but was happy to make the deal. There are 2 graded higher. The 1972 Venezuelan Stamp is extremely hard to find, rarely grades higher than VG. This example is a PSA 1. The stamp uses the same photo as the 1972 Topps card and has a blank back for a stamp album. The next entry is the 1972 Canadian Pro Star Promotions card, which is an oversized card and grades as a PSA 9. There are two PSA 10s. This card is very expensive and not easy to find. I believe there is a PSA 9 on ebay for around $400. Next, is the 1972 Topps regular card with the Orioles team card. The regular card is plentiful at a high grade. This PSA 9 has over 100 peers. There are 15 PSA 10s; if anyone has one laying around, let me know. The Orioles Team card is a PSA 10. There are 23 other PSA 10s. Next, is the Brooks Topps Boy Hood Photo Card and the OPC version. Both are graded as PSA 9s. The Topps version has 64 graded peers with 7 PSA 10s. The OPC version is highest graded with 9 peers. Hope you enjoyed the posting. See you next week with the 1973 entries.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:10 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Hi, everyone. Curious if anyone has the details on the Wild Bill Hagy Megaphone. I have been looking for this for a year or two and won on an auction recently. Can anyone educate me on how you would get this megaphone (purchase in the Orioles Team Store or was it a give away?). Also, any idea what year these were sold/given to fans? Thanks.
It definitely wasn't a Stadium Give Away item.....I don't believe they sold them at the concession stands inside Memorial but rather at the independent vendor stands outside the stadium (I would estimate the year of issue at about 1980)

I picked up a nice copy of one a few years ago off eBay.

Last edited by roarfrom34; 04-19-2021 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:23 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyu906 View Post
I love the Candian Pro Stars Brooks. A fellow collector here at Net54 sold me mine a few years ago. In fact that whole set is really neat and chock full of Hall of Famers.
I like this issue as well. I wish they would have made the Brooksie poster like they did for some of the others in the set.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:54 AM
Mike Magee

Default 1966 Bethlehem Steel full ticket

Good morning,

Several items from Bethlehem Steel Nights at Memorial Stadium have been posted on this thread before but here is a full ticket from 1966.

1966 Bethlehem Steel Night full ticket - front.jpg

1966 Bethlehem Steel Night full ticket - back.jpg
Old 04-19-2021, 08:00 AM
Bill H@e1ig

It was 40 years ago yesterday that the longest game in professional baseball started when the AAA Rochester Red Wings played the Pawtucket Paw Sox at McCoy Stadium.....The two teams played 32 innings until early Sunday morning before the game game was finally suspended and then resumed in June, when it lasted only one more inning with Pawtucket winning 3-2.

Here is a 1981 Red Wings program signed by about 12-13 of the players including a 19 year old Cal Ripken Jr.:

Old 04-19-2021, 11:12 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good morning,

Several items from Bethlehem Steel Nights at Memorial Stadium have been posted on this thread before but here is a full ticket from 1966.

Attachment 453050

Attachment 453051
Very NICE!
Old 04-19-2021, 07:22 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
It was 40 years ago yesterday that the longest game in professional baseball started when the AAA Rochester Red Wings played the Pawtucket Paw Sox at McCoy Stadium.....The two teams played 32 innings until early Sunday morning before the game game was finally suspended and then resumed in June, when it lasted only one more inning with Pawtucket winning 3-2.

Bill,

Love the program. Here's the newspaper headline the next day from the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.

DSCN2579.jpg
Old 04-19-2021, 07:42 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Good Sunday, everyone. This week I will discuss the Brooks Master 1972 entries, which there are 8. 1972 did not have as many entries as 1971.
Charlie,

Here are a few team issued items from 1971-72 you might enjoy.

The Orioles used the same photo for both 1971 & 72 for their postcards. The font used is larger than the 1970 postcard. The name is printed closer to the photo on the 1971 postcard (left), compared to the 1972 (right).

1971 and 1972 Team Issued Postcards

1971 Postcards 08 - Copy.JPG 1972 Postcards 07 - Copy.JPG

1972 Tadder 8x10 Photo

Robinson, Brooks 15 - Copy.jpg

1971 and 1972 Publicity Team Sheets featuring Brooks

1971 Team 1 - Copy.JPG 1972 Tadder 3 - Copy.jpg
Old 04-20-2021, 08:21 PM

Default 1971-1972 Photos

Alan, thanks for sharing. Love the post cards! Slowly chipping away on the Brooks Photos and Post Cards. Thanks for the insights.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:10 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Team signed ball from the 1984 Hagerstown Suns who were the Orioles Class A affiliate in the Carolina League. The team (which used three different managers) wasn't very good that year with a 60-80 won/loss record...Bill Ripken participated in 115 of those games:

Old 04-21-2021, 02:40 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Who is Len Johnston, and why does he get the sweet spot??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:29 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Len Johnston was the Suns manager for part of that year. He also spent over 30 years as a coach in the Orioles minor league system, mainly with the Bluefield Orioles.

See also post #2261.

Johnston, Len 1 - Copy.jpg

Here's the 1984 Hagerstown Suns program. Every post needs a program..

1984 Hagerstown Suns - Copy.jpg

Last edited by BaltOrioles; 04-21-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:35 PM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
About 25-30 years ago I was in touch with Len's son, Tom who was a collector himself and I picked up a lot of neat memorabilia from him.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:53 PM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1973

Good Monday, everyone. Sorry for being a day late. I went on a small "vacation" over the weekend. So...this week I will discuss the 1973 PSA entries for Brooks Robinson. First, is the Brooks Johnny Pro Fielding and Batting "variations." These two cards are part of a Regional Orioles set (28 total). The fielding version is a PSA 6 with five graded higher. The Batting version is highest graded with 5 peers. Both are reasonbly priced. Next, is the 1973 Topps Pin Up test issue, which includes a number of HoF'ers in the 24 card set. This version is a PSA 8. This pin up is very expensive and not easy to find at this grade. There is 1 graded as a PSA 9 (I believe one of our members owns this one!). The Orioles Post Card of Brooks is not difficult to find. Finding this one in this condition without a signature was not so easy though. The one here is the highest graded (PSA 6). One of my favorite and most difficult cards to find is the next example...the 1973 Topps Comics (another test issue by Topps). This card is a PSA 6.5 and is very expensive and very hard to find. This set had 24 different cards with plenty of HoF'ers. There is one graded as a PSA 8. Finding this one proved very difficult. I am sure there are a few of you that have one but wow, this card is amazing. Next is the Topps Brooks and OPC Brooks. The Topps card is plentiful and very affordable at the PSA 9 grade...the PSA 10 has not proven easy to find (8 PSA 10s are out there!). The OPC version is a PSA 7 with one graded higher. The Orioles Team Card is a PSA 9 (5 PSA 10s exist) and the OPC Orioles Team is a PSA 7 with 12 graded higher. Finally, you see the Topps Candy Lids, which is not terribly difficult to find and another Topps "experiment." There were 55 lids in this set with 20 HoF'ers. This example is a PSA 5 with 7 graded higher. Accompanying the Lid is the proof, which PSA suprisingly graded (this is the only one graded...my gut says they will never grade another "proof"). Next week I will cover the 1974 PSA Brooks entries, which there are 11.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1973 Brooks PSA Master.jpg (77.8 KB, 101 views)
Old 04-26-2021, 06:14 PM
Clint

Love the Johnny Pros and just got both recently. Hate that those test issues don’t have the Oriole bird on the hats as they are great shots.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:23 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Good Monday, everyone. Sorry for being a day late. I went on a small "vacation" over the weekend. So...this week I will discuss the 1973 PSA entries for Brooks Robinson.The Orioles Post Card of Brooks is not difficult to find. Finding this one in this condition without a signature was not so easy though. The one here is the highest graded (PSA 6).
Charlie,

More nice test items. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the postcard is not from 1973. PSA doesn't do a very good job with postcards. Just because a postcard is mailed in 1973, doesn't make it a 1973 issue. Yours is either a 1971 or 1972 (See post #2842).

Here's the Brooks Robinson team issued postcard from 1973/1974.

197374 Postcards 07 - Copy.jpg