NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-15-2018, 07:19 PM

Default Looking For Info 7-Eleven Magic Motion Cards

Hey Guys,
Can anyone shed some light on these obscure Magic Motion Cards.

They are lenticular and about 2 inches square. I think they are from 1978.

Does anyone know how these were issued or how many in the set.

There is a football OJ Simpson , Hockey Phil Esposito, the attached is Nolan Ryan.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1978 Xograph 7 Eleven Magic Motin Nolan Ryan.jpg (80.9 KB, 833 views)
Old 12-16-2018, 06:05 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

PSA has graded two Nolan Ryan's, and they're included in the Nolan Ryan Master Set. So it might be pretty valuable if only two have been graded, with how popular that set/player is.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

There's a Rocky Marciano on eBay right now.

Neat set, I've never seen it before. Thanks for sharing it.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-16-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
PSA has graded two Nolan Ryan's, and they're included in the Nolan Ryan Master Set. So it might be pretty valuable if only two have been graded, with how popular that set/player is.
Thanks for posting and Yes, lots of followers of Ryan.

The OJ just sold a few months ago for $400 !!

There are more in the set such as football Steve O'Neal and as previously stated Rocky Marciano. So 1 hockey, 2 football, 1 boxing and 2 baseball.

The other baseball I have is Hank Aaron, talking on the back of the card about him breaking Babe Ruths record.

Still, no info on how these were issued, similar to the 7-11 Roto Cups type of design?

Last edited by BobbyBhockey; 12-16-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Steve Birmingham

They were on the bottom of the cup, under a removeable cover.

Which seems unclear...

The cups were paper and had a taller than usual bottom section. There was a circular thing that pushed in there and held the card in.

I got one from a 7-11 near a cousins house. 77-78 sounds about right. In CT, they weren't in all the 7-11s, the one near my grandmother had players directly on the cups, when they had them.

I may have the cup somewhere, I don't know where the cup and card are at the moment. (I vaguely recall keeping the card in the cup, I'm odd like that)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Which seems unclear...

The cups were paper and had a taller than usual bottom section. There was a circular thing that pushed in there and held the card in.

I got one from a 7-11 near a cousins house. 77-78 sounds about right. In CT, they weren't in all the 7-11s, the one near my grandmother had players directly on the cups, when they had them.

I may have the cup somewhere, I don't know where the cup and card are at the moment. (I vaguely recall keeping the card in the cup, I'm odd like that)
Awesome Steve, it appears to be an under the cup type of promo, coke did hockey in 1978 under the cup with square cards in panels, and the bottom piece you would send away for an album. I see hard creasing in some of these, which being a small card, not easy to do unless your prying it out of somewhere. Please post if you can find the cup and card.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:35 AM

Default Article

Here is an article I put together on these, hopefully it will help bring some more information forward.
BobbyBHockey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg page 1.jpg (83.2 KB, 677 views)
File Type: jpg page 2.jpg (81.7 KB, 670 views)
File Type: jpg page 3.jpg (89.4 KB, 675 views)
Old 05-21-2022, 08:58 AM
Jeff P

I picked up some of these recently and there were two undocumented ones in the lot. Anybody else collecting these? Any they want to sell? I'm trying to put the 'complete' set together.

jeff
Old 07-12-2022, 08:50 PM
Jim B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I picked up some of these recently and there were two undocumented ones in the lot. Anybody else collecting these? Any they want to sell? I'm trying to put the 'complete' set together.

jeff
Jeff , did you happen to come across any Jesse Owens ? I’m looking for one for my registry set .
Old 08-20-2023, 12:15 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Someone on Blowout asked about this set, so I put together the names I've seen plus the ones that person knew about.

1) Hank Aaron
2) Don Carter
3) Wilt Chamberlain
4) Ty Cobb
5) Tom Dempsey
6) Phil Esposito
7) AJ Foyt
8) Billie Jean King
9) Rocky Marciano
10) Larry Mahan
11) Steve O'Neal
12) Jesse Owens
13) Pele
14) Nolan Ryan - interesting that the two mentioned previously are no longer in the pop report, and the Nolan Ryan Master Set now says that this is not required for scoring, which means they think it's too rare to be required.
15) OJ Simpson
16) Roger Staubach
17) Sally Younger
18) Don Vesco
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-21-2023, 02:23 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Which seems unclear...

Yep, remember this also. It was the exact same way the 7-11 lenticular discs were issued as well. Those had an arrow pointing at the bottom to remove the cover as show below, I was young but I remember this issue being similar.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-21-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:46 PM

Thank you for this - I just got a Staubach and couldn't find anything about it. Any thoughts on value? Nothing on eBay that I could find.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:51 AM

Anyone? I'm not a football collector so I'd be happy to trade it.
Old 11-11-2023, 01:14 AM

18 Card checklist, I wonder if this is all of them?
Old 11-20-2023, 11:28 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

This made me laugh.

Sorry to out this one, but if you were going to pay 55k for the Chamberlain it might be better spent on therapy, lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39500283943...3Avlp_homepage

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:35 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Unfortunately, food issued cards are now non existent.. I miss those days chasing those cards..
Old 11-21-2023, 12:28 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
Unfortunately, food issued cards are now non existent.. I miss those days chasing those cards..
So many issues in the 70's and 80's, I think the greed of MLB and the union demands will make these just a memory going forward. It's just too cost prohibitive.

The Topps Utz cards are some of the few recent items, but I feel like food issues were previously everywhere and now it's a needle in a haystack.

That said the McDonalds Pokemon fiasco that had people buying the cards out the back door leans into just how hard it would be in today's society.

Old 12-09-2023, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
This made me laugh.

Sorry to out this one, but if you were going to pay 55k for the Chamberlain it might be better spent on therapy, lol.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39500283943...3Avlp_homepage
Well, it was an asking price with a Best Offer available. The way it was explained and I understood from a couple of the major auction houses, it's possible and not too far fetched. Extrapolate the only sale of that card (SGC 4) to a PSA 8 and it's not too far off.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:20 AM

You can get an Aaron for $30K....

I have a Staubach which I suppose I should get graded....the only Staubach that's been graded is a 4 and I know mine is nicer than that....
Old 12-22-2023, 08:09 PM
Curt

No matter how rare any item is, there are limits on demand for some of them. Those are so basic and generally unappealing to most, that I doubt too many people would be in the market for them.

If there were actual photo images of the players, and equally as scarce, the demand would be much higher.

I love oddball stuff, but even these are not something i'd want to pay much for and given the apparently scarcity, I doubt I'd be in a position to own any anyways.