NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-13-2021, 11:07 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Default 1980 Topps Henderson RC PSA 10 PWCC ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-...-/143939492927

How is this a True Value, with two days to go ?
Old 02-13-2021, 11:25 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Because when a bitcoin is worth $48K and a basketball video clip is worth $30K, and a banana duct-taped to a wall is million dollar art, anything can be worth anything.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:46 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Because when a bitcoin is worth $48K and a basketball video clip is worth $30K, and a banana duct-taped to a wall is million dollar art, anything can be worth anything.
except for our labor and salary
Old 02-13-2021, 01:53 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

It’s going to be a spectacular crash when the bottom drops out. GME/AMC’esque
Old 02-13-2021, 03:47 PM
J@son Per1

I have a hard time seeing it crash like that. Maybe some of the newer cards, and certainly the PSA 10 "myth" of cards like the Henderson RC, whose pop counts have obviously been artificially held back.

Vintage cards won't suffer this sort of collapse unless the whole economy collapses, as they say, in which case we all have bigger problems.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:08 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
I have a hard time seeing it crash like that. Maybe some of the newer cards, and certainly the PSA 10 "myth" of cards like the Henderson RC, whose pop counts have obviously been artificially held back.

Vintage cards won't suffer this sort of collapse unless the whole economy collapses, as they say, in which case we all have bigger problems.
I don’t feel vintage will be spared in a large correction. The same people pumping modern are also pumping vintage. I don’t think vintage will collapse, but I also don’t think $2k cards will sustain the sudden 10x delta.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:20 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

This absolutely blows my mind...I opened these cards out of packs for crying out loud. I have two vendor lot "mint" sets...one in a binder and one boxed...I went to check mine after I read on a different thread that there are probably "10s" sitting in closets all over...and realized even though both mine are "minty", they would not be 10s due to centering. So...maybe a 10 is a holy grail...maybe not...either way this auction is absolutely crazy.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 02-13-2021, 10:06 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
except for our labor and salary
Your value as a productive member of society has nothing to do with the perceived value of these markets.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-15-2021, 10:27 AM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-...-/143939492927

How is this a True Value, with two days to go ?
Heritage has one at $100k + with over 10 days to go.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:45 PM

I don't follow post-war prices too closely. This one is obviously absurd. Have the Seaver and Ryan rookies sold for anything close to this price?
Old 02-15-2021, 04:32 PM
Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
Heritage has one at $100k + with over 10 days to go.
This is what happens when people are bored and have too much money.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:36 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
a banana duct-taped to a wall is million dollar art
How about a banana label stuck to a $20 bill?

That $20 bill sold for $396,000 less than a month ago.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:59 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
How about a banana label stuck to a $20 bill?

That $20 bill sold for $396,000 less than a month ago.

Not perfect center though.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:11 AM
J@RR0D

Ended at $180k. Insane.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:34 AM
J0hn Collin$

The controls on what PSA has ostensibly decided can or cannot be a 10 for this particular card are, in a word, absurd. 10's in proportion to 9's are kept artificially low. Watch this if you haven't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wTMS1dmddc

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-16-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:38 AM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
The controls on what PSA has ostensibly decided can or cannot be a 10 for this particular card are, in a word, absurd. 10's in proportion to 9's are kept artificially low. Watch this if you haven't:

I have a 9 that I think looks nicer than the PSA 10 at Heritage right now. Look at the top right corner of this card. Is this card trimmed? I’m not good at detecting alterations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E8FB8A67-BDC6-4D72-9A69-E2C1BF613900.jpg (9.7 KB, 413 views)
Old 02-16-2021, 08:50 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
I have a 9 that I think looks nicer than the PSA 10 at Heritage right now. Look at the top right corner of this card. Is this card trimmed? I’m not good at detecting alterations.
The general rule of thumb is to avoid high end cards that are super obviously loose in their holders. Most cards will have a gap somewhere due to the design, but if there are obvious gaps on different borders at the same time, (i.e. not a positioning issue) - then that may be cause for concern. Honestly I didn't even look at this Henderson to see if it's that way. The sad truth is even if it is, that likely would not have mattered in the sale. People are blind to the cards themselves from the light the flips are putting out, and all about the dollar signs right now.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-16-2021 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:05 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

I have watched that before and just shook my head. The obvious manipulation/controlling/favoring certain submitters is over the top. Not that I need another excuse, but this is also another reason why I detest PSA.

Are they not, or have been, doing that with UD 89 Griffey RC's as well? I am sure there are others too.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:09 AM
Johnny MaZilli

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...umbnail-071515

$105,000 last night Heritage

Pwcc February $180,000
Old 04-16-2021, 10:47 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post

The economy briefly collapsed last year and cards still rose lol
Old 04-16-2021, 10:54 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Prices have been correcting on many I’m watching and I don’t see that slowing down. I know I’m personally spending less on cardboard, as I now have a few vacations planned.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks14sr View Post
Prices have been correcting on many I’m watching and I don’t see that slowing down.
I think you're right on that, esp. postwar mainstream cards in all sports that had big, fast run-ups. Last October and then this January-February seems to have been the high water marks on a lot of cards that had huge runs early in 2020.

Personally, I think it will end up with most vintage cards down from their peaks but well above their starting points, and it will take most of 2021 to shake out.

The real proof that the bubble has popped will be when I actually start winning auctions, because I haven't adjusted my bidding structure on commonplace stuff. In all these auctions recently I've won one (1) item for my personal collection, and it was a one-off PC that I chased after because I have an affinity for Cubs on Catalina Island stuff which very few other people share, I guess. Actually, it is pretty f****ng cool: Hack Wilson and Charlie Grimm at spring training on Catalina Island:

Wrigley used to bring them to SoCal to train since he owned about half the friggin' island. Here is an image of the Cubs doing their best Seven Dwarves imitation on the waterfront in Avalon:

Gabby Hartnett:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-16-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:49 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

I agree, and I’m fine with a healthy increase from pre covid prices, I’m just sick of seeing prices with multipliers. I’m happy that my buy levels are approaching for some of the key cards I need/want. But as you mentioned, it’s still not there yet, as I’ve gotten beat on most auctions. I felt I had some strong bids and won nothing in lasts weeks pwcc offerings. Trying again with REA.

Nice pickup btw, very cool! You have an awesome collection, far from the typical cookie cutter stuff. I need to venture further into that side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I think you're right on that, esp. postwar mainstream cards in all sports that had big, fast run-ups. Last October and then this January-February seems to have been the high water marks on a lot of cards that had huge runs early in 2020.

Personally, I think it will end up with most vintage cards down from their peaks but well above their starting points, and it will take most of 2021 to shake out.

The real proof that the bubble has popped will be when I actually start winning auctions, because I haven't adjusted my bidding structure on commonplace stuff. In all these auctions recently I've won one (1) item for my personal collection, and it was a one-off PC that I chased after because I have an affinity for Cubs on Catalina Island stuff which very few other people share, I guess. Actually, it is pretty f****ng cool: Hack Wilson and Charlie Grimm at spring training on Catalina Island:

Wrigley used to bring them to SoCal to train since he owned about half the friggin' island. Here is an image of the Cubs doing their best Seven Dwarves imitation on the waterfront in Avalon:

Gabby Hartnett:

Old 04-16-2021, 12:44 PM
Ethan

Default Cards

I'm thinking that the people that have disposable income will continue to try to buy up everything under the sun at outrageous prices and many collectors will jump to sell great collections and PSA 9s and 10a from the 80s because the money is right. This leaves people like myself in a good place down the road because I'll still have my cards and those that have disposable income and those that have sold their collection in search of money will want them.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I don't follow post-war prices too closely. This one is obviously absurd. Have the Seaver and Ryan rookies sold for anything close to this price?
A PSA 10 Nolan Ryan rookie sold for $600,000 in August 2020 per Vintage Card Prices.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:13 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks14sr View Post
Prices have been correcting on many I’m watching and I don’t see that slowing down. I know I’m personally spending less on cardboard, as I now have a few vacations planned.
+1 Just booked a week on the Oregon coast.

Nothing against cards but very happy to be spending cash on a vacation instead of the hobby.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:49 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post

Nothing against cards but very happy to be spending cash on a vacation instead of the hobby.
Congrats! I love Lincoln City!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 04-16-2021, 05:16 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post

That’s funny, we are actually flying to Portland, then spending a week exploring the coast on our way up to Seattle for some more exploring. Original plan was to use those destinations as a jump off for BC, but that leg has to wait.

I love hiking Multnomah Falls and visiting Canon Beach.

Last edited by bks14sr; 04-16-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:45 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Those with unlimited disposable amounts of cash need to spend their money and can not on vacations and other pre Covid things.. Thus we have high prices..

That's it folks..
Old 04-27-2021, 10:48 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
Those with unlimited disposable amounts of cash need to spend their money and can not on vacations and other pre Covid things.. Thus we have high prices..

That's it folks..
Yep. It'll all shake out after the COVID scare is lifted completely. Many will probably want to dump those cards for what they bought them for but will more than likely take a loss. Just my opinion.
Old 04-27-2021, 11:51 AM
J0hn Collin$

I would be at least mildly surprised to see vintage getting hit with a huge correction after Covid concerns become a recent memory. The cards have always leveled off in the past, but never exactly dropped tremendously. To give a basic example, in 2015 you could buy a '52 Mantle PSA 2 for around $10k. Prices have tripled since then.

It may be an extreme example, but I don't see that going back to being a $10k card short of thermonuclear destruction or something like that.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:34 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
I would be at least mildly surprised to see vintage getting hit with a huge correction after Covid concerns become a recent memory. The cards have always leveled off in the past, but never exactly dropped tremendously. To give a basic example, in 2015 you could buy a '52 Mantle PSA 2 for around $10k. Prices have tripled since then.

It may be an extreme example, but I don't see that going back to being a $10k card short of thermonuclear destruction or something like that.
Some may not correct but the market overall will I believe especially these crazy prices being paid for new cards. Mantles in perfect condition will always hold their value what ever that may be but I think other HOF players and low to mid grade cards will level off from where they are now. More collectors, more demand, higher prices. When the number of collectors dwindles demand will drop and so will prices. Just like the hype of the 90's.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:41 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
...but I think other HOF players and low to mid grade cards will level off from where they are now.
Level off, yes. Drop egregiously, no. We've heard this time and again with every recession now at this point since the 1990's. Vintage has gotten hot and cold multiple times, but on the whole the cards have held their value very well across all grades.

Last edited by jchcollins; 04-27-2021 at 12:43 PM.