NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-22-2012, 06:45 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default A Baseball Card Social Network & Vintage Card Encyclopedia

Hello everyone,

Leon was gracious enough to let me post today. For the last year and a half I've been working on a vintage baseball card site and it's finally ready. So I'd like to introduce http://whitewhalecards.com/, the first social network for vintage baseball card collectors. You can take a home-made video tour at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LyAJa_0mMU

The site has three primary features:

1) A wiki-based vintage baseball card encyclopedia - I'm a huge fan of Wikipedia and always thought it would be cool to have a community editable encyclopedia for cards. So we built one for the site. The Card Wiki allows users to add sets, cards, photos and information about any vintage set/card ever released. We've strived to make the Card Wiki feature rich, including allowing card variations to be created and cross-referencing players and teams with the Lahman Baseball Database.

2) A place for users to post pictures of cards in their collection - I find Picassa, PhotoBucket, and other photo sharing sites to be a poor way to share cards. Instead, in this day and age where I can see your resume on LinkedIn and what you ate for breakfast on FaceBook, there should be a single social networking site for baseball cards, where everyone in the community can post cards from their collection and all of these cards are searchable. That's what we've tried to do with White Whale, create a true social network for vintage card collectors.

3) Post your want list and find your White Whales - It's also frustating that I have to wait for cards I really want to buy to come up for auction. I've always thought there should be a centralized location for every collector to post their want list for all to see. The White Whale site, lets you do just that. You can post the cards you want and even put a 'bounty' or price that you'd pay for the card, in order to attract those who have one to sell.

Buying and Selling on WhiteWhaleCards.com
Via WhiteWhaleCards.com you can buy and sell cards from other users. There are no listing fees or store costs on the site. Instead, in order to cover our costs, we charge a buyer's premium of 13% (just like an auction house). We use part of this 13% to cover PayPal costs. This means that as a seller, you get 100% of the money you ask for on every item you sell on the site.
White Whale lets sellers ship cards directly to buyers. To protect buyers we use PayPal's Chained Payments API, which lets the buyer purchase a card and then the payment waits in a PayPal account (similar to escrow) until after the card is shipped and approved by the buyer, at which time funds are released to the seller. This protects the buyer and seller from fraud.

Try It Out Today

I invite you to register and try out WhiteWhaleCards.com. After signing up, you will immediately be able to create and share a virtual collection of cards you own and want. To protect the community we verify the identity of users before they can edit the wiki or sell cards, so if you are interested in doing this we'll reach out to you after you register.

I hope you enjoy the site,
Jonathan Ryskamp

PS - Putting this site together has been a team effort. I'd like to thank all those who helped including those who provided information on cards for the Card Wiki, Bill Goodwin and Robert Lifson for letting us use photos from their auctions, and Sean Lahman for letting us use players and teams from his Baseball Card Database.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Bill Lucier

I checked out this site when you first posted. I'm impressed with the idea as I have my own site www.firstyearcards.com. Mine is more of a personal site for my collection but have begun to expand to other sports. Just checked back in, was wondering if you had any luck with membership or any other feedback? Have you been getting any traffic? Bill.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 AM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default T206 Cobb Give-Away Coming Soon . . .

Bill,

Thanks for asking about the site.

Things are progressing well. We had quite a number of users try out the site and received very positive feedback. However, we also found a number of bugs that needed fixing.

We are at the final stages of fixing these bugs. Once that is done (in the next week or so) we will do some promotions to try to help user adoption. We recently bought a T206 Cobb on eBay that we will be giving away as a prize to one lucky site user. We will release more details about that in the next week or so.

However, even as we fix the last of the bugs, the site is alive and working and open for people to try it out.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Jon Renaut

Have you explored other options for making money besides the buyer's fee? 13% is enough that I'd be very unlikely to buy or sell on the site unless it was a really impossible to find card. I realize that's kind of what the site is about, but I also suspect you don't want to limit the usefulness of the site.

One of the main reasons I buy on forums such as this one is the lack of extra fees - transactions are quick, efficient, and cheap. Your site definitely adds things that are often lacking from the process, but I'm not sure it adds enough to justify the cost for me.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I am glad this got bumped as I missed this when it was first mentioned, and though I saw the banner at the top of the page I never bothered clicking to see what it was.

Do any other users have any reviews to give (with beta bugs being fixed in mind)? Has anyone completed a sale on the site?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Todd Schultz

My McAfee warns me that I've gone to a "suspicious site" when I click on the link. It gave me a red warning when I first went there some time ago and now gives me a yellow warning. I'm reluctant to proceed until I know what's up with that.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Jake

For searching cards in the for sale section a user should be able to search Price Highest First and Price Lowest First, as well as searching by Newest Additions.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Mark Fox

I've registered and I'm interested to see how the site develops as time goes on, I think it has potential to be a great resource.

While I realize the utilization of Paypal provides some security for the buying/selling of cards, I will not be participating in that aspect of the site. I do not have a Paypal account.

Last edited by markf31; 02-20-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Andy Garden

I met the guy who runs this site at the National. He was a stand-up guy and I wish him lots of luck. I know he has put a lot of effort into making this work. I figure most people will be board members here that visit that site, and will work out transactions outside the perimeters of the fees. It will become a glorified extension of our BST. I think the site has some neat potential.

Best,

Andy
Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
My McAfee warns me that I've gone to a "suspicious site" when I click on the link. It gave me a red warning when I first went there some time ago and now gives me a yellow warning. I'm reluctant to proceed until I know what's up with that.
Same thing happened w/ me too!
Maybe its a McAfee thing
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Jon Renaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG09 View Post
...I figure most people will be board members here that visit that site, and will work out transactions outside the perimeters of the fees...
This is one of the reasons I asked about other revenue streams.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Ja,mie B.

It is a very cool idea, though I can understand that many users would find 13% a bit steep for a private transaction. Why not, like Wikipedia, make it a larger bbcard resource that is donation-based and edited/contributed by the entire community?

No matter which direction you take, good luck with the business and I admire your courage for starting something new!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Same thing happened w/ me too!
Maybe its a McAfee thing
The site I write for had that happen a few weeks ago, everyone was getting the warning message. It turned out to be an outdated plugin on the site that made it vulnerable.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the great questions and comments. I'm just boarding a cross-country flight now and will respond after I land.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default WhiteWhaleCards is an additional source

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
Have you explored other options for making money besides the buyer's fee? 13% is enough that I'd be very unlikely to buy or sell on the site unless it was a really impossible to find card . . .

One of the main reasons I buy on forums such as this one is the lack of extra fees - transactions are quick, efficient, and cheap.
There is no way that WhiteWhaleCards can compete with the B/S/T on Net54, nor is that our goal. We are offering an additional avenue for showcasing and finding your favorite vintage cards.

13% was chosen because a) 3% of this covers the PayPal fees and b) 10% of this covers our development costs (which are significant since I'm not a programmer).

Regardless of whether you choose to buy/sell on the site, we hope you will use it to showcase your collection and contribute to the community encyclopedia of vintage baseball cards.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default McAfee Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I am fairly certain that this is because we have the site disabled for bot indexing (i.e., Google, McAfee, etc.) until the next release. We did this because we are changing our URL structure and we didn't want to have it indexed with the old URLs.

I am confident that this McAfee warning will go away with the new release and once we are indexed. However, I will also check our plug-ins, per z28jd's suggestion.

I can assure you that the site is safe to use.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Jon Renaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collect Equity View Post
There is no way that WhiteWhaleCards can compete with the B/S/T on Net54, nor is that our goal. We are offering an additional avenue for showcasing and finding your favorite vintage cards.

13% was chosen because a) 3% of this covers the PayPal fees and b) 10% of this covers our development costs (which are significant since I'm not a programmer).

Regardless of whether you choose to buy/sell on the site, we hope you will use it to showcase your collection and contribute to the community encyclopedia of vintage baseball cards.
I get that. I just don't see how it's a sustainable business model. I don't mean to be rude - I'd love to see your site succeed, and there's definitely demand, but making it work is hard. I am a programmer, and I've toyed with the idea of a site something like yours. The programming is technically very challenging. Hundreds of thousands of cards, each site member has tens of thousands in his/her collection - it's very difficult to store that kind of data in a way that's easy to work with. And that's not even getting into image hosting.

And once you overcome all that, you have to figure out how to get it to pay for itself. I think the way ebay does it is smart - they hide the fees at the time of the transaction. At the moment of purchase, no one pays any fees. It's only later that the seller has the fee deducted. People are funny, and we as a species have a hard time accurately valuing events in the future. I bet that people would pay more for a card with a 13% fee charged in a week than a card with a 13% fee charged at time of purchase.

Anyway, best of luck with the site. I hope I'm wrong about your business model.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM
K!ya S@bet

I hope it works out as well. I am looking forward to reading the articles as I cannot get enough of reading about the history of cards.

I also am hoping if successful you will find a way to branch into football cards as I buy and sell mostly baseball but collect football. THanks for this!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Ad@m Be11

I'm considering sharing my cards through white whale. For those who are using the site, what has your experience been? Is it worth the effort?
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 12-29-2018, 01:34 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

seems like this site is no more
Old 12-29-2018, 04:11 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default Whitewhale?

I didn't realize this thread was 5 years old, sorry

Last edited by Bram99; 12-29-2018 at 04:14 PM. Reason: didn't notice this was an old thread.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
I didn't realize this thread was 5 years old, sorry
LOL....I have seen worse by far.