NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 03-04-2024, 12:17 PM
Dylan

Default 1992 Topps Gold 10 ct Packs

Any idea where the 10-count cello wrapped packs of 1992 Topps Gold were issued? These are not abundant but there are several examples available online for sale. I just can't figure out how they were distributed.

Im not sure about factory sets as I have opened a few over the years (the blue box) and the ten golds were not sealed, just together among the base cards. There are several opened factory set examples on ebay that do not show a cello pack inside.

[IMG][/IMG]

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr
Old 03-04-2024, 12:31 PM
P@trick R.omolo

That's what they sent when you redeemed a winner card or sent in wrappers I can't remember for sure if it was one or both. I have a few of them that I received that are still sealed.

Last edited by Pat R; 03-04-2024 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:18 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
That's what they sent when you redeemed a winner card or sent in wrappers I can't remember for sure if it was one or both. I have a few of them that I received that are still sealed.
Pat,

Yes, that is the case for the Gold Winners packs. I'm trying to figure out how the non-winner Gold packs were issued.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:33 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
Pat,

Yes, that is the case for the Gold Winners packs. I'm trying to figure out how the non-winner Gold packs were issued.
Dylan,

It was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure if you weren't collecting a winner on the match the stats game and sent in money to get the gold cards (which I did) the pack you received didn't say winner on the gold cards.

I know I have some 10 pack gold cards that are unopened when I get a chance I will try and find them.

My album was handy so I did check that and I have 40 non winner golds in it. I don't remember the odds but I'm pretty sure I didn't pull 40 non winner golds opening wax packs back then.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Pat,

In the match the stats game card, if you failed to win the game (which was very difficult if you didn't know how to cheat with a flashlight), you scratch off the bottom square and revealed either 1, 2 or 3 runs. If you collected 100 runs and mailed the game cards in to Topps with a small fee for S&H, they sent you a cello pack of gold cards without "winner" on them. I did this only once before Topps ended redemptions I think. I never figured out how to cheat with a flashlight in the pre-internet days.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:18 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
Dylan,

It was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure if you weren't collecting a winner on the match the stats game and sent in money to get the gold cards (which I did) the pack you received didn't say winner on the gold cards.

I know I have some 10 pack gold cards that are unopened when I get a chance I will try and find them.

My album was handy so I did check that and I have 40 non winner golds in it. I don't remember the odds but I'm pretty sure I didn't pull 40 non winner golds opening wax packs back then.
Thanks Pat.

This seems to be the consensus: that initially Topps mailed out regular (non winner) gold packs to people who mailed in winning Match The Stats cards. But because of the rampant cheating (flashlight under the card to reveal the right areas) Topps switched over to sending out 'Winner' stamped cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
In the match the stats game card, if you failed to win the game (which was very difficult if you didn't know how to cheat with a flashlight), you scratch off the bottom square and revealed either 1, 2 or 3 runs. If you collected 100 runs and mailed the game cards in to Topps with a small fee for S&H, they sent you a cello pack of gold cards without "winner" on them. I did this only once before Topps ended redemptions I think. I never figured out how to cheat with a flashlight in the pre-internet days.
Interesting. So it is possible that the winners could have been issued at the same time as the 100-runs earning non-winners?

Last edited by jacksoncoupage; 03-04-2024 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:57 PM
Brandon Bailey

I only remember the non winners being 1 per box and the factory set with the autographed Brien Taylor card. The winners were the send away cards. The winners cards never went for much but that factory set with the autograph was quite pricey for the time 150-250 a set. One of the factory sets did have the 10 pack of gold non winners in the cello pack inserted into the factory set.

Last edited by BearBailey; 03-04-2024 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks Pat.

This seems to be the consensus: that initially Topps mailed out regular (non winner) gold packs to people who mailed in winning Match The Stats cards. But because of the rampant cheating (flashlight under the card to reveal the right areas) Topps switched over to sending out 'Winner' stamped cards.

Interesting. So it is possible that the winners could have been issued at the same time as the 100-runs earning non-winners?
This is correct except for that Topps still mailed out non-winner gold packs for those who took the time to collect the 100 Runs and complete that part of the game.

If you look down at the bottom of the game card it has the mail in instructions here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15604579246...mis&media=COPY
Old 03-04-2024, 08:28 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBailey View Post
I only remember the non winners being 1 per box and the factory set with the autographed Brien Taylor card. The winners were the send away cards. The winners cards never went for much but that factory set with the autograph was quite pricey for the time 150-250 a set. One of the factory sets did have the 10 pack of gold non winners in the cello pack inserted into the factory set.
I'm wondering if it was in retail (white box) sets or holiday sets since the hobby ones thatI have opened just had the gold cards together with the base cards, no cello wrapping.

Old 03-05-2024, 07:17 PM
Brandon Bailey

I don’t recall which set it was in that had the 10 wrapped non winners but they were much scarcer than the winners. I worked in a card shop my last 2 years of high school and 2 summers during college and I remember people bringing in monster boxes of the sealed winners, I guess they knew the flashlight cheat trick which I didn’t hear about until years later.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:46 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I have a couple 1992 vending cases and they contain gold cards as well. It has been a long time I cannot remember if it was a certin number per box or if it was one box of 500. I have alot of 92- 94 gold non winners if anyone is looking to start or finish a set. I also have a 94 box with 4 golds per pack ( I think it is cellos). Amazing how many ways Topps found to issue these " scarce" cards.