NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Don Hontz

Default Help. 1958 World Series Bat. Carlton Willey

My friend has a 1958 World Series bat. Carlton Willey. K55 on bat knob. Need help with a price. Nice condition.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:07 AM
Brian Macdonald

Neat item, always think of Cherryfield, Maine when Carlton Willey's name appears, from his mention in The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book

The writers thought of Cherryfield as “inhabited exclusively by lobster fishermen and grizzly bears.”

And the sign in the town “WELCOME TO CHERRYFIELD, MAINE, HOME OF MAJOR LEAGUE PITCHER CARLTON WILLEY.”
Old 04-21-2015, 05:24 PM
N@te

Without seeing it, I would say around $350.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 04-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnVme7 View Post
Without seeing it, I would say around $350.
Nate that seems low to me, but I will take some scans of it thur and put them on here thur night---my research shows a 1960 Clem Labine Bat went for $1200----I was thinking it would be in the $800 range--but I am only guessing---I will get the scans to help. thanks
Old 04-21-2015, 07:16 PM
N@te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
Nate that seems low to me, but I will take some scans of it thur and put them on here thur night---my research shows a 1960 Clem Labine Bat went for $1200----I was thinking it would be in the $800 range--but I am only guessing---I will get the scans to help. thanks
It does seem like it, but I know there was one from the same yr on EBay for about 5 months. The guy listed it for $1,100 or so with a best offer. He never sold it after relisting it about 10 times. He posted pics of his and the value everyone came up with was around $400.

Also have to put into consideration that he was a pitcher and I don't think he had an AB, making it game issued with no use. Still a nice bat tho and one that ppl want to buy.

Last edited by UnVme7; 04-21-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:02 AM
David McDonald

There was a guy who came on the Board about seven years ago who lived near Carlton Willey and knew him well. I bet he might like this bat. Unfortunately it's one of the old archived threads and his contact information and other links have been stripped clean, but it's still an interesting read. He had some nice things to say about his old friend Carlton.

Link to thread

Last edited by Kawika; 04-22-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:10 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnVme7 View Post
It does seem like it, but I know there was one from the same yr on EBay for about 5 months. The guy listed it for $1,100 or so with a best offer. He never sold it after relisting it about 10 times. He posted pics of his and the value everyone came up with was around $400.

Also have to put into consideration that he was a pitcher and I don't think he had an AB, making it game issued with no use. Still a nice bat tho and one that ppl want to buy.
I would also think $400-500 would be a good price considering it is a pitchers bat that probably was not game used.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
There was a guy who came on the Board about seven years ago who lived near Carlton Willey and knew him well. I bet he might like this bat. Unfortunately it's one of the old archived threads and his contact information and other links have been stripped clean, but it's still an interesting read. He had some nice things to say about his old friend Carlton.

That would be me, thanks for thinking of me. Yes, when I found out about the bat, I knew I had to have it.

It's now "home" with me and Carlton would be thrilled to know I had his bat in my collection. I've got to give a huge thank you to my good friend JoeDfan, who not only alerted me to this thread, but negotiated a deal with the seller and as the greatest birthday gift ever, paid for half of the bat. He's seen my collection and we both knew that bat had to be with me. Sean, your the best, thank you.

I know the term Grail is thrown around a lot, but this for sure was mine. I've been collecting Carlton for over 20 years and have never had the chance to own anything that was his.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 05-02-2015, 07:21 PM
N@te

Excellent. Glad it went to a good home.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:08 PM
David McDonald

Steve: It pleases me to learn that Carlton Willey's WS bat found its way to you. I was sorry to hear that he passed away about a year after we had our exchange on the board in 2008. You were lucky to know him; he was lucky to know you. This is the card I bought.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:26 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedw9 View Post
That would be me, thanks for thinking of me. Yes, when I found out about the bat, I knew I had to have it.

It's now "home" with me and Carlton would be thrilled to know I had his bat in my collection. I've got to give a huge thank you to my good friend JoeDfan, who not only alerted me to this thread, but negotiated a deal with the seller and as the greatest birthday gift ever, paid for half of the bat. He's seen my collection and we both knew that bat had to be with me. Sean, your the best, thank you.

I know the term Grail is thrown around a lot, but this for sure was mine. I've been collecting Carlton for over 20 years and have never had the chance to own anything that was his.
Steve, Bat looks awesome in your collection and a BIG +1 on Sean being a great guy.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedw9 View Post

Steve,
What an awesome collector story! Truly this bat belonged in your hands.