NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-27-2016, 11:04 AM
Al

Default Question for those that collect signed photos

hey guys,
need advice/opinion from you experts here (as i value your opinion/advice very much) can someone, please tell me why in the world does sharpie fade on 8x10's over time. im talking photos that are stored out of the light in a dark place in a box out of sunlight and the sharpie is fading turning a purplish blue color over time? does anyone else have trouble with their photos having fading sharpie on them? thanks
Old 06-27-2016, 12:08 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I have photos ( over 600 ) signed in blue Sharpie for over 25 years and they are as fresh today as when they were signed. I store them out of light and in either Ultra Pro or Wilson Jones sleeves and in a binder or a file folder out of sunlight.
Maybe someone can shed more insight for you , but I do not have and have never had the problem with fading that you seem to have.

Last edited by Klrdds; 06-27-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:20 PM

Here are my thoughts,

I found the paper quality is a huge factor when It comes to signatures fading over time. I have had a Lou Brock that was signed 20+ years ago and looks faded a tad. This paper quality seemed sub par.

Then I have a Warren Spahn that was signed 25+ years ago and looks like it was signed yesterday. The paper quality was much better and tad thicker.

For a modern example I have a Wade Boggs that was signed 2 years ago on a photo printer from home, and it has already bled. Compared to my photos that where signed on professional photo lab quality paper and ink.

These are just some thoughts, I could be off base here.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Steven Finley

An artist friend of mine educated me on "archival" pens and markers not long ago. She stated all sharpies will fade, eventually, regardless of where and how you store your items. The same is true for Staedtler markers as well. These and other similar markers are almost universally alcohol and dye based. These ingredients will degrade with certainty. Factors such as light, humidity, and temperature can and will accelerate the process, but this breakdown will occur regardless over time. I asked what sort of pens/markers I could use to prevent this and she said India ink. I have no reason to doubt her statements, but I also haven't taken the effort to see if India ink is viable for autographs and on what mediums it would work.

Last edited by sbfinley; 06-27-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Al

Thanks guys for your advice/opinions, i appreciate it. thats very interesting about sharpie fading over time as ive always thought that but thought that i was the only one in the hobby that thought that sharpie fades over time. i say this because. everything i have collected over the past 30-40 years has faded.(all stored in the dark out of the light)

baseball bats signed in sharpie-faded
photos signed in sharpie-faded
trading cards signed in sharpie-faded
certified pack pulled autographs-faded
perez steele postcards signed in sharpie-faded
baseballs signed in ballpoint pen-faded

im to the point now where im like, damn! what can we collect in this hobby that wont fade over time? signed index cards (signed in ballpoint pen)

when a light bulb turned on in my head that sharpies fade, i have sold approx 70% of my collection so far as id rather get what i can get for it now versus being stuck with a bunch of faded items!
Old 06-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I've been collecting about 25 years, and my photos haven't faded at all. Less than 5% of my baseballs (pen) have faded. baseballs I've bought with sharpie sigs haven't faded. (I'll buy a sharpie sig if it's over 20 years old and still looks perfect.)

Something's wrong here.

Ken
Old 06-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Al

hey ken,
i think either i have very bad luck or what could be if i dont know how the previous owner of the items i bought on ebay stored/displayed the items. they could of put the photos on a wall in direct sunlight for years or could of displayed the bats and balls on a shelf next to a window facing the sun. certified autos could of been in a dealers showcase for years under flourescent store lights. so that could be a HUGE factor in my items fading is i just dont know how the previous owners took care of the items before i bought them.whats interesting is my very first ttm autograph i got in the 1980's signed in sharpie still look great! and a ttm autograph i got in the mail from a player recently looks like the sharpie is already fading on a newer card.