NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 10-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Dan Bl@u

Default 2007-09 UD Goudey sets

Anyone have much experience with the Goudey sets that Upper Deck put out from 2007 - 2009? I'm thinking of putting one of the sets together, but not sure which one. The '07 ('33 design) looks neat and the cards are actually Goudey-sized, but the boxes are the most expensive. The '08 ('34 design) looks good also with some neat insert sets and the prices seem pretty good. The '09 set base looks kind of blah to me, but maybe there are other compelling things to look for?

Anyone collect these and have thoughts? Which year had the best autos and inserts, etc? Thanks!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Ben Martin

When I first got into collecting a few years ago I found some 2008 Goudey packs at the Dollar General stores around here for 25 cent or so a pack. They were clearing out cards at the time.

I really got hooked on the set and ended up buying several hobby boxes and then I got a hobby case. I will say that even with buying a case I didn't get anywhere near all the short prints. I finished the set and it was a challenge. I also did 2 of the insert sets but I did not go after the game used or autograph sets.

Honestly the set isn't worth the money I spent out but it was fun. I did recoup some of what I spent by grading the doubles of the Clayton Kershaw and Max Scherzer rookie cards I had doubles of. I have considered going after the other sets one day but I have not so far. Good luck

Last edited by BenG76; 10-27-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:18 AM
Dan Bl@u

Thanks for the info BenG. I actually went ahead and sprung for a case of '08 a couple weeks ago during a 5x eBay Bucks deal. I've opened two boxes so far, and it's a decently entertaining rip. No great autos yet but got jersey cards of Russell Martin and Chase Utley. I did pull #/34 mini black backs of Brett Favre and Cal Ripken Jr., which were both pretty good pulls. The last Favre sold for $20, and it looks like the Ripken goes for more. If the numbers hold for the rest of the boxes, I'll have about 90-95% of the SPs, which isn't terrible, as well as 3 extra base sets, which will recoup a little of the cost. My only major gripe is with the Yankee Stadium Legacy cards, which are completely out of place in the product and take up space that could be used for additional SPs. But a good rip and fun fall project nonetheless. I'll post updates here if anything big comes out.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:04 PM
Ben Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
Thanks for the info BenG. I actually went ahead and sprung for a case of '08 a couple weeks ago during a 5x eBay Bucks deal. I've opened two boxes so far, and it's a decently entertaining rip. No great autos yet but got jersey cards of Russell Martin and Chase Utley. I did pull #/34 mini black backs of Brett Favre and Cal Ripken Jr., which were both pretty good pulls. The last Favre sold for $20, and it looks like the Ripken goes for more. If the numbers hold for the rest of the boxes, I'll have about 90-95% of the SPs, which isn't terrible, as well as 3 extra base sets, which will recoup a little of the cost. My only major gripe is with the Yankee Stadium Legacy cards, which are completely out of place in the product and take up space that could be used for additional SPs. But a good rip and fun fall project nonetheless. I'll post updates here if anything big comes out.

Lots of people looking for the Yankee Stadium Legacy cards so they should be easy to trade or move. I have actually decided to go after the game used and regular autograph set as a side project after I posted here the other day.

Also since you got a case you should get an original Goudey card in one of the boxes as a case hit. I would love to rip a case of the 2007 or 2009 ones myself to start those sets one day. Good luck and post here if you get any good hits.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Ben Martin

Bliggity also set aside the doubles of Clayton Kershaw and Max Sherzer. I have had good luck grading the ones I got from my case. A Kershaw PSA 10 can go for around $30 or so Sherzer is around $15. If you submit them during a monthly special you can do OK on those.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Dan Bl@u

Good to know, thx!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:16 PM
Ben Martin

Quote:
Good to know, thx!
No problem. I saw on Ebay Big T has cases of these for a little above $350. That is not to bad. Almost tempted to get one. I would if I could get a case of the other years for that.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:43 AM
Dan Bl@u

Slowly making my way through this case. Halfway done now. Autos have been pretty disappointing, but I pulled the Vince Coleman out of box #6 so hopefully things are on the rise. Jersey cards have been pretty decent. I did pull one Taupe mini /8, three black /34, six green /88, 13 blues, and 37 reds. Also pulled 28 Yankee Stadium Legacy cards so far. And I also pulled the '33 Goudey buyback. Not sure why they put '33 Goudeys in a product with the '34 design, but mine is nice enough - round corners but no creases or wrinkles.

I think I have about 2 base sets so far, along with 16/30 SPs, 11/20 Presidents, 11/20 B&Ws, 17/30 Sports Royalty low, 5/30 Sports Royalty high, and 12/30 Berk Ross. That comes out to 45% of the SPs and inserts at the halfway mark. I think I also saw 3 Kershaw RC, 2 Scherzer RC, and 2 Longoria RC come out so far also.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:52 AM
Ben Martin

Nice stuff so far. I got a few autos and GU cards in the mail this week for my set. Like the Coleman auto. That Favre numbered to 8 might be worth a few bucks.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:23 AM
Ben Martin

Quote:
Slowly making my way through this case. Halfway done now. Autos have been pretty disappointing, but I pulled the Vince Coleman out of box #6 so hopefully things are on the rise. Jersey cards have been pretty decent. I did pull one Taupe mini /8, three black /34, six green /88, 13 blues, and 37 reds. Also pulled 28 Yankee Stadium Legacy cards so far. And I also pulled the '33 Goudey buyback. Not sure why they put '33 Goudeys in a product with the '34 design, but mine is nice enough - round corners but no creases or wrinkles.

I think I have about 2 base sets so far, along with 16/30 SPs, 11/20 Presidents, 11/20 B&Ws, 17/30 Sports Royalty low, 5/30 Sports Royalty high, and 12/30 Berk Ross. That comes out to 45% of the SPs and inserts at the halfway mark. I think I also saw 3 Kershaw RC, 2 Scherzer RC, and 2 Longoria RC come out so far also.

How close to a set did you get from your case? I remember I still had to hunt down a good bit of the SP cards to finish mine.