NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 08:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default The hobby is surely passing me by

Sometimes you've got to say....

https://goldinauctions.com/Honus_Wag...LOT118039.aspx

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:46 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

if I am willing to spend $32k on NFT, i rather get a LeBron James drunk NFT.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:54 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

That is not for me either.
But obviously someone was interested enough to pay that much.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-25-2021, 08:59 PM
Eric Perry

"A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place."

- Harry Anderson Hello, Sucker 1986

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 10-25-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Peter - You didn't finish the statement. It's "Sometimes you just gotta say "WTF"
Old 10-25-2021, 09:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Peter - You didn't finish the statement. It's "Sometimes you just gotta say "WTF"
Alan, it was implied, but yes.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:18 PM
George E.

Default so many questions

So these NFTs are crypto-shares of an actual thing? or a virtual thing? this silly frog Wagner, does it exist in time and space? And if so, I understand how people can trade the shares, and how the shares might go up or down based on demand for those shares, but where does the card live? Who is its caretaker? Is there a majority owner? How would anyone know if it went missing or never even existed? If you bought all the shares can you get the card?
Old 10-25-2021, 09:24 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Am a little surprised Goldin sold this. Pepe the Frog has been co-opted as a symbol of white supremacy. Would they sell Wagner in a KKK hood? I mean, they can sell whatever they want, I'm just surprised.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:31 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Am a little surprised Goldin sold this. Pepe the Frog has been co-opted as a symbol of white supremacy. Would they sell Wagner in a KKK hood? I mean, they can sell whatever they want, I'm just surprised.
I had the same reaction.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by abothebear View Post
So these NFTs are crypto-shares of an actual thing? or a virtual thing? this silly frog Wagner, does it exist in time and space? And if so, I understand how people can trade the shares, and how the shares might go up or down based on demand for those shares, but where does the card live? Who is its caretaker? Is there a majority owner? How would anyone know if it went missing or never even existed? If you bought all the shares can you get the card?
I think it's just digital, and the significance of the token is that it gives you ownership, but someone younger and cooler than me can probably answer better.

Old 10-25-2021, 09:53 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

A lot of stupid people doing stupid things with their money.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:14 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Looks to me like someone spent $31k on a piece of clip art. Imagine all the real baseball cards that could have purchased!
Old 10-25-2021, 10:21 PM
Chase

Quote:
Yeah I really do not get it either but I understand the appeal of it to the new breed of hobbyist or CIF (Collector-Investor-Flipper). I am far too much a traditionalist with my collecting approaches to ever find this enticing or even interesting.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:45 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

I'm waiting for Curly of the Three Stooges to be featured on the Wagner card. That nun-fungible asset would easily top 50k. And, my goodness, if it was animated with a soundtrack ("wu-wu-wu-wu-wu") it might go into 6 figures.

Last edited by Mark17; 10-25-2021 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:43 AM

WTNFT world are we living in?

Brian
Old 10-26-2021, 04:39 AM

Talk about tax reform… whoever is willing to pay $31k for that should have to pay a one-time, stupidity excise tax of 50% the purchase price; so long as the IRS allows that lucky buyer to recapture that tax when the buyer eventually sells it for a huge loss and/or writes it off as a total loss.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:27 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Seems insane to me.

But then again, no doubt I would have been one of those folks in 1970 saying “holy crap…. Some idiot just spent $10,000 on a small card board picture of Honus Wagner …. What the hell is wrong with people!!”

I guess you don’t know how stupid anything really is until some time has passed.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-26-2021 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
That is a bunch of bullshit. People can put anything on a meme and have it mean something different. Of course anybody putting a Hitler mustache on him, or swastika etc.....then yes, that is racist. A pure Pepe is not racist. He is a frog. I love frogs. Leave him alone. Putting Pepe on a Wags isn't racist.

Last edited by Leon; 10-26-2021 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:26 AM
Derek Granger

watch this to "get learned" on Pepe:

https://www.businessinsider.com/pepe...esters-2019-10

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 10-26-2021, 08:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
watch this to "get learned" on Pepe:

https://www.businessinsider.com/pepe...esters-2019-10
I watched it before you posted it. I am all "learned" up. I still think the NFT Wags and Pepe is not racist. Everything is effing racist nowadays. I am absolutely disgusted with our society today and I fear for future generations living off the govt. It used to be a black mark to take welfare from our govt. Now it's a badge of honor not to work ....so it seems. People today make everything racist and it's not true.
Just my opinion. Everyone has one.

Last edited by Leon; 10-26-2021 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I watched it before you posted it. I am all "learned" up. I still think the NFT Wags and Pepe is not racist. Everything is effing racist nowadays. I am absolutely disgusted with our society today and I fear for future generations living off the govt. It used to be a black mark to take welfare from our govt. Now it's a badge of honor not to work ....so it seems. People today make everything racist and it's not true.

+1
Old 10-26-2021, 09:34 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

What does it mean if I hate Pepe Wagner?
Old 10-26-2021, 09:49 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

To me, this is another not-so-subtle representation that the hobby we all love is being transformed into something far different than when we first starting buying cards. I first starting collecting back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and the only way to get a desired card was to trade, one set of greasy fingers to the next. No TPG, no auctions, little money, no equity shares, no trimming or alterations and certainly no non-fungible cards.
And I totally agree with Leon that putting a Hitler meme on Honus aimed at the Neo-Nazis and other hate groups is pure racism. Using Kermit is just silly.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:11 AM
Howard Chasser

Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Seems insane to me.

But then again, no doubt I would have been one of those folks in 1970 saying “holy crap…. Some idiot just spent $10,000 on a small card board picture of Honus Wagner …. What the hell is wrong with people!!”

I guess you don’t know how stupid anything really is until some time has passed.
I remember when PSA just entered the market place and I told my friend he was absolutely NUTS for spending 3-10X the raw going rate for PSA 9 and 10 Clemente's including spending 30K for a PSA 9 rookie - years later he auctioned his cards and got a cool million for 1955-1973!! In hindsight he sure knew/suspected something I didn't and got to laugh all the way to the bank!!

Like others - I don't get it, but time certainly will tell.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:49 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:

Then you didn't watch the whole video. It shows how "Pepe" evolved into something that conjured "racist alt-right" thoughts for most Americans but was used as a symbol of rebellion against dictatorship for those people living in Hong Kong. Why do you think the Pepe Wagner NFT sold for so much? It's not because of Pepe the cartoon. It's because of the ideology of his image. Period.

If the NFT were of Garfield or Snoopy superimposed on a T206 Wagner, it would not have garnered much attention. And we certainly wouldn't be discussing it on a chat board.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 10-26-2021, 10:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Then you didn't watch the whole video. It shows how "Pepe" evolved into something that conjured "racist alt-right" thoughts for most Americans but was used as a symbol of rebellion against dictatorship for those people living in Hong Kong. Why do you think the Pepe Wagner NFT sold for so much? It's not because of Pepe the cartoon. It's because of the ideology of his image. Period.

If the NFT were of Garfield or Snoopy superimposed on a T206 Wagner, it would not have garnered much attention. And we certainly wouldn't be discussing it on a chat board.
Exactly. He evolved. He went to a bad place with extremists. To me, that doesn't make a frog racist. Sorry.

I am not interested in racism baited discussion either. If you didn't notice, there was exactly NOTHING racist about what was sold. It was a frog and a Wags card...NFT...

If I make a meme of a US quarter, and put Hitler on it, would it make all quarters racist? You will never convince me that that NFT had anything to do with racism.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:01 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Omega put Snoopy on a watch, and that piece is now backordered for the next several years and selling on the grey market at 3-4x retail. It's certainly getting a lot of chatter on watch collecting boards.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:40 AM

I guess you felt like I was challenging you in some way. I was only making a point about symbols and how they can be co-opted and turned into things they weren't meant to be. Not anyone's opinion on symbols.

Last edited by packs; 10-26-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think Pepe the frog in a vacuum can be considered a symbol of white supremacy. But I do think it's best to avoid issues that might be connected to anything like that in any case, whether in a vacuum or not. I don't think it's possible to deny Pepe's association with certain groups anymore than it's possible to deny the swastika's association with certain groups. The swastika was once a peaceful symbol and used widely but it has of course taken on other connotations that can't be ignored.
Put your name out here and please continue.
And sorry, I still disagree. A frog and a swastika are 2 different things. I love frogs and see them all the time at my house. They aren't racist. They are green. I would never have a swastika at my house. It's a bad symbol, frogs aren't.

Last edited by Leon; 10-26-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:39 PM
Al Richter

Not sure about Pepe but some frogs are pretty tasty. And Peter, don't know about you but the hobby passed me by awhile back

Old 10-26-2021, 12:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Do NOT mess with Snoopy. He's a bad mutha***er.

This whole NFT thing, a big 'who cares' in my collecting book. I collect to enjoy something I enjoyed as a kid the way I enjoyed it as a kid. Unlike Cap'n Crunch or Pop-Tarts, something that won't make my 56 year old body sick. That means cardboard and paper in hand to play with in front of the television. Period. This digital, fractional stuff, forget it; if I want something i can't play with I will buy stocks. See signature line below...'nuf ced

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-26-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:02 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Put your name out here and please continue.
And sorry, I still disagree. A frog and a swastika are 2 different things. I love frogs and see them all the time at my house. They aren't racist. They are green. I would never have a swastika at my house. It's a bad symbol, frogs aren't.
A swastika is not a bad symbol. Being Buddhist, I can confirm that. A swastika is a symbol of peace and actually represents the Buddhist footprints. Its actually a lucky symbol. This has been the way since almost the birth of the Buddha. Unfortunately, some group in Germany decided to use it as their symbol. Maybe whats being done to poor Pepe the Frog.

I always say thank god (or thank Buddha) the US made baseball. Its the only thing that connects me to the country anymore. Having got rid of my US citizenship decades ago, I still appreciate being able to come back during the summer and attend as many MLB games as possible and participate in the National and other shows during that time. I can say that after this summer, sadly the US has lost it way. Ignorance has been taken to a completely new level.

My biggest concern is not a frog or a swastika, but that I hope there is no strike for this next season. I have already paid for season tickets for next year.

Last edited by philo98; 10-26-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Omega put Snoopy on a watch, and that piece is now backordered for the next several years and selling on the grey market at 3-4x retail. It's certainly getting a lot of chatter on watch collecting boards.
I'll just have to stick with my Speedmaster I guess.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

What's a "watch"? My phone has a clock.

Or not...
Old 10-26-2021, 01:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo98 View Post
A swastika is not a bad symbol. Being Buddhist, I can confirm that. A swastika is a symbol of peace and actually represents the Buddhist footprints. Its actually a lucky symbol. This has been the way since almost the birth of the Buddha. Unfortunately, some group in Germany decided to use it as their symbol. Maybe whats being done to poor Pepe the Frog.

I always say thank god (or thank Buddha) the US made baseball. Its the only thing that connects me to the country anymore. Having got rid of my US citizenship decades ago, I still appreciate being able to come back during the summer and attend as many MLB games as possible and participate in the National and other shows during that time. I can say that after this summer, sadly the US has lost it way. Ignorance has been taken to a completely new level.

My biggest concern is not a frog or a swastika, but that I hope there is no strike for this next season. I have already paid for season tickets for next year.
The swastika was also a Native American symbol with a reverse image:

The Benham Indian Trading Co. used it as logo on their postcards 114 years ago.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-26-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:23 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

Excellent point.

Last edited by philo98; 10-26-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:23 PM
James M.

I don't understand NFT's but I also don't really understand Crypto and both seem to be booming.

I think the NFT people are a separate section/separate hobby entirely. It relates to cards but it's more of an offshoot.

What I'm more curious about is if there's a lockout, how will the market, both NFT's and physical cards be affected.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:25 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
I'll just have to stick with my Speedmaster I guess.
Funny you should mention that Peter; the watch in question is a Speedmaster.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:27 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
What I'm more curious about is if there's a lockout, how will the market, both NFT's and physical cards be affected.
Wasn't the 1994-95 strike one of the things that popped the hobby's bubble in the 1990s?
Old 10-26-2021, 01:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Funny you should mention that Peter; the watch in question is a Speedmaster.
Blasphemy lol.

Old 10-26-2021, 01:29 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

It was also painted on the nose cone of Spirit of St. Louis.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Wasn't the 1994-95 strike one of the things that popped the hobby's bubble in the 1990s?
That is when I quit watching MLB. I will watch part of a game every now and then. Or maybe game 7 of the series but after that strike I never went back...

Last edited by Leon; 10-26-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:33 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Blasphemy lol.
The Silver Snoopy, commemorating the 50th anniversary of Omega receiving a safety award from NASA.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
The Silver Snoopy, commemorating the 50th anniversary of Omega receiving a safety award from NASA.
It's hard to ruin a Speedmaster and it's tastefully done. But still.

OMG the price.
https://www.swisswatchexpo.com/watch...iABEgJGM_D_BwE

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-26-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Modern will take a hit for sure. I am not sure a lockout is going to affect Babe Ruth's stats. I bet if it does pop the current vintage market some there will be a lot of people ready to pounce on quality vintage material at attractive prices.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-26-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:47 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
It's hard to ruin a Speedmaster and it's tastefully done. But still.

OMG the price.
https://www.swisswatchexpo.com/watch...iABEgJGM_D_BwE
And that's down from where they were at the beginning of the year. I remember seeing them being flipped for $40-50,000--and people were paying that.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:05 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
That is a bunch of bullshit. People can put anything on a meme and have it mean something different. Of course anybody putting a Hitler mustache on him, or swastika etc.....then yes, that is racist. A pure Pepe is not racist. He is a frog. I love frogs. Leave him alone. Putting Pepe on a Wags isn't racist.
I didn't say the image as drawn was racist. But, facts are facts - Pepe the Frog has been co-opted as a symbol of white supremacists. Sometimes benign images or symbols get co-opted - such as the swastika. I was expressing surprise that an image that has been co-opted was being sold by Goldin. You're making a distinction where one doesn't exist.

Lemme just re-emphasize, Goldin can do whatever they want. I honestly don't care one way or the other if they sell it. But I am surprised.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...htmlstory.html

https://www.statepress.com/article/2...hite-supremacy

https://www.vox.com/2016/9/21/128936...g-donald-trump

Last edited by Tabe; 10-26-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I didn't say the image as drawn was racist. But, facts are facts - Pepe the Frog has been co-opted as a symbol of white supremacists. Sometimes benign images or symbols get co-opted - such as the swastika. I was expressing surprise that an image that has been co-opted was being sold by Goldin. You're making a distinction where one doesn't exist.

Lemme just re-emphasize, Goldin can do whatever they want. I honestly don't care one way or the other if they sell it. But I am surprised.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-...htmlstory.html

https://www.statepress.com/article/2...hite-supremacy

https://www.vox.com/2016/9/21/128936...g-donald-trump
Thanks for the articles. I had read the first one. I am not co-opting him. Sorry. He's a frog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frog.jpg (11.2 KB, 465 views)
Old 10-26-2021, 04:21 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I didn't say the image as drawn was racist. But, facts are facts - Pepe the Frog has been co-opted as a symbol of white supremacists.
That only matters to people who:
1. Give white supremacists any credibility whatsoever
2. People who want to keep racial tensions strong by finding racism wherever they look.

For me, I give white supremacists zero credibility and I likewise give race baiters zero credibility. The goal should be for us to find common ground and unity, not constantly look to group people based on race, then pit those groups against each other.

Pepe is a frog. Period. I don't care if terrorists worship him or some other group sews his image in their leather jackets, the cartoon is a frog.
Old 10-26-2021, 04:29 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Pepe is a frog. Period. I don't care if terrorists worship him or some other group sews his image in their leather jackets, the cartoon is a frog.
I generally agree with you. That said, even Leon admits that he thinks some benign symbols are objectionable. What's the line?
Closed Thread