NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 PM

Default c1885 Roller Skates Pamplet

c1880's - 11 1/2" wide x 9" tall unopened
Picked this up on eBay today....for a whopping $25.00....Was asking $34.99 BIN, made offer of $25.00...seller took it....It's a two page pamplet...best roller skate illustration I've ever seen...I'll photocopy the two inside pages and frame them flanked each side of the front

excerpt from seller's discription
9" by 23" (when fully opened) advertising brochure for the MADISON SQUARE roller skate manufactured by Merwin, Hulbert & Co of NYC. Although there is not an exact date of the printing of this piece, I date it to 1886-87 based on the skate's patent date of 1883 and the testimonials from satisfied customers all dated 1885. Familiar to firearms collectors, Merwin Hulbert produced other items and saw an opportunity with the 1880's craze for roller skating.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Inside Page 1

Photobucket
Inside Page 2

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-19-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Photobucket
That's very neat! $5 seems like a lot of dough back then.

Last edited by mschwade; 09-20-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:45 AM
John Harrell

Default bat pickups

Here's a couple of recent bat additions to the collection. First is a spline bat made of 4 separate strips. Its design leads me to believe that it is some type of display or presentation bat. It's 35 inches long and about 45 ounces. The other is a Fred Clarke model Wright-Ditson-Victor model from the teens.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bat pictures 001.jpg (78.8 KB, 461 views)
File Type: jpg bat pictures 002.jpg (75.5 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg bat pictures 004.jpg (69.6 KB, 460 views)
Old 09-20-2011, 03:02 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Not so vintage, but pretty cool anyway...

I grew up a Don Mattingly fan and have always tried to pick up things related to his career as a player, and now, as a manager. I think I did pretty well grabbing this for $40 off the Bay...his signature is $80 or more at shows...this one is MLB authenticated, too.

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:37 PM

Default Recent Johnny Vander Meer related pickups

Recently I picked up a trio of very nice items related to Johnny Vander Meer's two consecutive no-hitters in 1938.

The first item is a press photo of Vander Meer at his home in Midland Park, NJ displaying some of the memorabilia related to his ML record two consecutive no-hitters in 1938. The photo shows him holding both of the final game balls from his no-hitter on June 11 and June 15th. The photo caption mentions that Vander Meer is working in the off-season selling cars at a local car dealership.

The second item is letter that Vander Meer sent to a fan thanking him for sending him a nice article from his local hometown newspaper in CT about his historic season. The letter was written in early January, 1939 and is on the letterhead of the Buick car dealership in Patterson, NJ that Vander Meer was working at as described in the photo that accompanies this post. Pretty cool complimentary piece!!

The last item is a vintage signed 1934-1936 Diamond Stars baseball card of HOF catcher Ernie Lombardi who caught both of Vander Meer's consecutive no-hitters in 1938. I bagged this card tonight on eBay. My apologies to any board members that I may have bidded against in winning this. Believe me, I am an absolute lurker in the vintage card market. It just seemed to be a natural fit for the Vander Meer double no-hit collection that I am putting together. Trust me, you won't see me in any more of this type auction anytime soon.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-21-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:06 AM

Default Small 1913 Harvard Yale FB poster

Picked this up tonight on eBay from our own Rhys Yeakley/prewarsports...it's a little small for my taste 10" x 9" but I just had to buy it...the graphics at the top of the scrimmage and the fonts were just too cool for me to pass up. I googled the address 374 Commonwealth Ave and learned the Harvard Club of Boston..is still there. When I was on my 10 day Brimfield/New England trip last May I got lost in Boston and drove down this one street that was incredible...essentially a small strip park in the center lined with classy immaculate brownstones each side...I didn't know where I was but I knew it was the high rent district...turned out to be Commonwealth Ave.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-10-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Mike H.

Great stuff Carlton! I love the mix and variety you collect and share. Keep up the great work...we all appreciate it

Hey...did you ever do a Michigan/Penn road trip after the National?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:29 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Great stuff Carlton! I love the mix and variety you collect and share. Keep up the great work...we all appreciate it

Hey...did you ever do a Michigan/Penn road trip after the National?
Thanks Mike glad you enjoyed the posts...Re: the Michigan/Penn road trip, no I didn't go...I hope to another time

Old 09-22-2011, 04:56 AM
John

Not game used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth Underwear.jpg (75.9 KB, 284 views)
Old 09-22-2011, 07:05 AM
R.J. Hinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
A couple of new Gehrig type 1's

1939 Studying up for his job on the parole board.

Hey Mark,

Nice pickup. There was a TLS by Lou when he was a member of the NYC Parole Board on ebay recently. You didn't happen to pick that up as a companion piece, did you?

R.J.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I've been after this piece for years and was thrilled to have an opportunity to purchase this off ebay last night

Boy, that's a terrific piece Mike. Well done. Who says you can't get great stuff on ebay... about 80% of my entire collection was done so via ebay!

My best, Jimmy
Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Dan Bretta

Another Lincoln postcard for my collection.

Photobucket
Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quack Quack...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duck1.jpg (71.7 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg Duckweb.jpg (61.3 KB, 445 views)
Old 09-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Clint

Awesome postcard Dan. Congrats.

Super nice glove Perez, you got a good one there.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Mike H.

Default Inkwell

I am very excited about this baseball inkwell. It is dated 1913. The ball is about the size of a regulation sized ball and it is made of pot metal and tin. I need to buy a glass reservoir for it.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM

Default Outbid by the Mikester

Mike, You dog you....I was the underbidder on that baseball inkwell!....I was already measuring out a 4 1/2" square spot for it.....I think I even recall the passing thought you might bid on it....I've kind of gotten into inkwells and needed a baseball one. Having the 1913 date stamped underneath is very cool....I'd have thought it was 1920's otherwise....Intuition says it looks better in person than the photo....Congrats Mike, nice shoot'n...below two of my best inkwells...the sculler is around c1900 I think.....the weightlifter is likely French very c1880's.

Photobucket
More about this sculler inkwell
http://sportsantiques.com/scullerinkwell.htm

Photobucket
More about this weightlifter inkwell
http://www.sportsantiques.com/and_more.htm

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-24-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:07 AM
Mike H.

Sorry about that Carlton. I had my max bid at $350, so I was pleased with the hammer price on this one. The last example I saw at auction exceeded $400 with the juice in Hunts. You will find another before long buddy...you always do
Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Adam B

Quote:
I am very excited about this baseball inkwell. It is dated 1913. The ball is about the size of a regulation sized ball and it is made of pot metal and tin. I need to buy a glass reservoir for it.

Congrats Mike. That is a beauty.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 AM

Picked up this KILLER Ryan photo from Lance (thecatspajamas99).

nolanryan1969.jpg
Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Phil Garry

Great Ryan photo!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Default Nice Nolan!!

Nice Nolan Ryan photo there Jimmy!! Nolan demonstrating the 2 seam "Express"!!

BTW, this photo was obviously taken in 1969 because of the 100 year patch on his sleeve. It must have been taken prior to the World Series because they switched the patch to the other sleeve during the WS.

Is the photo dated? Just curious on when it was taken in '69?

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-27-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Great Ryan photo!
Ditto Jimmy. Love these early photos of iconic players who would seemingly play forever. This Ryan image made me think of Carl Horner's photo of the youthful babyfaced Walter Johnson. Too cool.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Adam B

I was excited to pick up this 1939 Baseball Centennial premium ring. This premium was issued by General Mills for the Jack Armstrong radio show which was sponsored by Wheaties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 Centennial Ring.jpg (36.2 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg Baseball Centennial Ring.jpg (24.7 KB, 330 views)
Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerden View Post
I was excited to pick up this 1939 Baseball Centennial premium ring. This premium was issued by General Mills for the Jack Armstrong radio show which was sponsored by Wheaties.
Thanks to Phil, Scott, and Adam for the kind words. I've been looking for another Ryan photo ever since my snapshot found a new home in Michigan. And no date Scott, just a UPI stamp on the back.

Adam. That ring is absolutely beautiful! What's the story? Also, I've got first dibs on it, if and when Adam ever decides to move it!

Last edited by thekingofclout; 09-27-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 AM

Default Ryan photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Thanks to Phil, Scott, and Adam for the kind words. I've been looking for another Ryan photo ever since my snapshot found a new home in Michigan. And no date Scott, just a UPI stamp on the back.

Adam. That ring is absolutely beautiful! What's the story? Also, I've got first dibs on it, if and when Adam ever decides to move it!
Jimmy,
One of the best parts of your new Ryan photo is that it catches vintage Shea Stadium in the background which is a bonus. I think you picked the right shot to fill the gap in your collection.

Thanks again for allowing me to add the 1968 Ryan snapshot to my collection. It's one of my favorites!!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Adam B

Quote:

Thanks Jimmy. Not a real exciting story, won it on Ebay and probably paid a premium. The seller is a well known dealer who had a group of premiums for sale including the Lou Gehrig Knothole Gang patch, the Dizzy Dean Winners Club Ring (round version) and the Jack Armstrong Centennial Ring. I promise will get first dibs on it.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:43 AM

Default c1880 Vienna Billiard Bronze

Last day of Sept...here's my last pick up for the month. A c1880 Vienna bronze of billiard players...Only example I've ever seen....Bottom photo, installed on coffee table.
3 1/8" tall men
4 1/4" tall to top of cue

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 09-30-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Last day of Sept...here's my last pick up for the month. A c1880 Vienna bronze of billiard players...Only example I've ever seen....Bottom photo, installed on coffee table.
3 1/8" tall men
4 1/4" tall to top of cue

Photobucket

Photobucket
Carlton,

Your collection of multi-sport vintage figural pireces is truly amazing. Wow!!
Congrats on your new pickup!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Adam B

Great stuff Carlton. I don't know what is more impressive the figurals themselves or your ability to find these and add them to your amazing collection. That billiard piece has to be one of my favorites. Wow!!
Old 09-30-2011, 11:08 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Really nice, Carlton... a gorgeous figural piece. Is there any sport you don't have represented? Swimming or diving, maybe... wrestling?

Great stuff... makes me want to branch out beyond baseball. The heart says yes ; the head (and wallet) say no!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 PM

Default Johnny Vander Meer WWII photo

ksfarmboy Clint did something very nice this evening. He gave me a neat WWII Navy snapshot of Johnny Vander Meer in Guam. Vander Meer is crouching at the bottom left in the snap. This is an excellent compliment to my 1944 Army/Navy World Series ticket from a JVDM win.

Thanks Clint, that was a very nice surprise. I really appreciate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vandameer.jpg (77.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Johnny VanderMeer 1944 Navy Army World Series ticket.jpg (26.4 KB, 208 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-30-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
ksfarmboy Clint did something very nice this evening. He gave me a very nice WWII Navy snapshot of Johnny Vander Meer in Guam. Vander Meer is crouching at the bottom left in the snap. This is an excellent compliment to my 1944 Army/Navy World Series ticket from a JVDM win.

Thanks Clint, that was a very nice surprise. I really appreciate it!
That's sweet Scott. Clint is a STUD.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:01 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Really nice, Carlton... a gorgeous figural piece. Is there any sport you don't have represented? Swimming or diving, maybe... wrestling?

Great stuff... makes me want to branch out beyond baseball. The heart says yes ; the head (and wallet) say no!
Mark, Scott and Adam....thanks alot for your kind words I really appreiciate it....after what that seller held me up for I could use a pep talk LOL....Jimmy negotiated one month for those incredible Ruth photos...I got him beat.....9 months...antiques dealer/lawyer gal vs poor little Mexican boy...I suppose it was a draw....unfortunatly she knew what she had! I've been so exhausted when I come home from work this last week, today my day off was the first day I really had to examine closley...dusted it off with a cuetip swab...we're starting to bond

Mark, no wrestling but I do have a couple divers...see one below, it was hidden behind the Bruno Zack ice speed skater.

Tomorrow I pick up my first Oct piece...I paid part down last Alameda Point show and will pay off and p/u tomorrow....so I better get to bed.

Photobucket

Old 10-06-2011, 01:34 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Picked up this KILLER Ryan photo from Lance (thecatspajamas99).

Attachment 46445
Glad you like the photo! It had been languishing in my backlog of "stuff to list" for at least a year, and I'm glad to hear it's found an appreciative new home. Enjoy!

Lance