NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr11 View Post
I liked this thread so I thought I would bring it back to the front page. I hope that is okay. Anyway, here is a pretty difficult pennant of Tony Oliva.
What a terrific pennant!

I put Oliva & Mattingly in the same boat. Lock Hall of Famers until their injuries put them down. IMO... these two players peak value was fantastic and I think that because both their careers were cut short, they are better candidates then players that had five great years, only to go along with fifteen mediocre ones.

I don't get it. If you're fortunate and don't get hurt, you are to be rewarded for that?

But if injury ended your career, especially if the injury isn't something that can be seen, like Campanella, or untimely death, like Joss and Puckett, then you have little or no chance at getting elected.

Alright, alright, I'll save the rest for a new thread.

A couple of oddball pieces I added to my collection in the last few months...

conniemackGOLDtieclip.jpg1930sAsPatch5.jpg
Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Bob Lemke

Default That Braves cap . . .

has to be 1958 or later, Casey Wise was with the Cubs in 1957, came to the Braves in a trade in November that year.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 AM

Default Just picked this up...

c. 1950's Yankees Souvenir Charm Bracelet.

yanksCHARMbracelet.jpg
Old 03-10-2010, 10:36 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Very neat Jimmy...

I have the Reds' version. My Dad bought this as a souvinir for my sister in 1967, at Crosley Field. So it's a special piece in my collection, not having been acquired later in life. She forgot she had it, found it 40 years later, and gave it to me for Christmas last year. I guess she wasn't planning on wearing it again

Also wanted to post a few other odds and ends (since practically my whole collection is made up of them!) Baseball has had a lot of cool smoking related items through the years. Here are 3 figural pieces related to smoking...

* Early 1900s Bulldog Batter (his cap flips open, to reveal a lighter)
* Early 1900s Catcher Ashtray (check out the spiderman mask and reeded shinguards)
* 1930s Batter Pipestand (sold to me as a Babe Ruth piece, but that's ebay for you - still pretty neat!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spaldings 071.jpg (76.6 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg Spaldings 072.jpg (76.3 KB, 439 views)
Old 06-09-2010, 07:22 AM

Default It's been 3 months since the last post here...

and with hundreds of new board members since then, I figure there must be a lot more oddball things out there...

Just picked up this nifty 1962 Topps 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 Match Print Photo of Stan Musial from the Topps Vault.

1962toppsMUSIALphoto.jpg1962toppsMUSIAL.jpg
Old 06-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

Neat stuff guys. Below is a few things.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:20 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Beautiful stuff, BBSD! I am really taken by that 49er Mascot (shooting the gun). That was a very short-lived mascot that appeared on one pennant I have. I want to say it's from 1965 or '66.

Can you explain exactly what that piece is, and where it came from? I have never seen another.... thanks!
Old 06-12-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSD View Post
Neat stuff guys. Below is a few things.
Damn! That Giants coffee cup, saucer, and creamer are just awesome! And of course the companion piece sugar packet rules!

What's the story on them?

Best, Jimmy

Last edited by thekingofclout; 06-12-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Barry Blumenfeld

Thanks guys, pretty new to the board. To say the least it has been real cool to see all that's out there and all the sharing on the site. Easy to get lost with all the interesting info you guys bring to the table. I had never seen the metal 49'ers mascot either, probably came from Kezar Stadium and was originally attached to some sort of advertising board, but anybody guess is as good as mine. If anybody else has any insight please share. Story goes that this and several other 49ers related items I purchased were found at an estate sale in SF from the family of one of the 49ers team trainers during the 50's and 60's. The SF Giants set was from the Stadium Club.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg San Francisco 49ers 1960's Original Fred Kail Ashtray.jpg (65.2 KB, 276 views)
Old 06-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Barry Blumenfeld

Default Re: Clemente endorsed Shoes. MIB

Hey Jimmy, Meant to add that your Clemente shoes really caught my eye, just way cool. I dig the style and color. I'd be really torn to wear them or just keep them pristine. If you had to 2 pair no brainer, unless their worth some serious dough and Perez you should have your own museum, you've got some real unique top notch stuff. Again thanks to everyone for sharing. Barry
Old 07-25-2010, 11:30 AM

Another oddball piece...

1939baseballcoaster.jpg
1939baseballcoasterVERSO.jpg

Last edited by thekingofclout; 06-04-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:08 AM

Default Here's another one I'm pulling out of the morgue...

Let's see any and all of your odds & ends!

Here was a leather garment bag that was a gift to Joe D. from the Yankees for their then upcoming Old Timers Game of July 29 1978. Like with many gifts that were bestowed upon Joe throughout his lifetime, he simply stashed them away, never to see the light of day again (Thank God!).

Take note of the Yankee Pinstripes that adorn the lining of the bag. It also came with the matching sundries box. Both of which were a real nice touch, that had George's name written all over it...

DiMaggioGARMENTBAG9.jpgDiMaggioGARMENTBAG1.jpg

DiMaggioGARMENTBAG2.jpg

DiMaggioGARMENTBAG5.jpg

DiMaggioGARMENTBAG8.jpg

Last edited by thekingofclout; 06-04-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 AM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Beautiful stuff, BBSD! I am really taken by that 49er Mascot (shooting the gun). That was a very short-lived mascot that appeared on one pennant I have. I want to say it's from 1965 or '66.
I could be wrong but my view is that this mascot dates from the earliest days of the 49ers. Certainly, he appears on the front cover of 49-er programs from 1946 and 1947 that I have.

Not sure if he made a re-appearance in later years.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:13 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
I could be wrong but my view is that this mascot dates from the earliest days of the 49ers. Certainly, he appears on the front cover of 49-er programs from 1946 and 1947 that I have.

Not sure if he made a re-appearance in later years.
Uilda you are correct, the 49ers were in the All America Football Conference for all its 4 years 1946-49
and then joined the NFL for the 1950 season and throughout, they used the same mascot, the shootin' Prospector
Not sure when they stopped using him, but he did start in their inaugural season of '46

Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Uilda you are correct, the 49ers were in the All America Football Conference for all its 4 years 1946-49
and then joined the NFL for the 1950 season and throughout, they used the same mascot, the shootin' Prospector
Not sure when they stopped using him, but he did start in their inaugural season of '46

Wow... that is awesome! I wish they could resurrect just half of that creativity and artistry shown on these old prorams and logos. Today's stuff is so generic and bland.

Here's the pennant I referenced, which shows that the 49ers carried this mascot through into the mid- 1960s. Maybe he just re-surfaced for a short time. Either way, it's a great image (and amazing cover art on that program!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49ers.jpg (20.0 KB, 185 views)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Scott H.

Rummage sale find.
drum.jpg
Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Craig

[QUOTE=thekingofclout;751303]1934 original snapshot of Babe Ruth pitching during the Tour of Japan.
Attachment 6323

c.1930's Lou Gehrig mini pennant.
Attachment 6324

1961 The M & M Boys on Super 8mm from spring training.
Attachment 6325

c.1940's DiMaggio's Restaurant Coaster/Menu.
Attachment 6326[/QUOTE

Another super thread Jimmy with great stuff all around! Have a number of oddball Mantle items that will have to wait until I finally get a scanner (and digital camera) as well as the time to do it.

For the moment, how about a Type 1 (albiet poor quality secondary scan) of Mickey from his '55 tour of Japan to go with the Babe's from '34. Note the '55 tour patch on Mickey's sleeve as well as the name of the Japanese photographer embossed on the front.

Looks like the Mick may have missed the ball this time around. Wonder what would have happened from the right side if the Babe would have been pitching?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 MM Japan Tour C.jpg (71.4 KB, 176 views)
Old 06-04-2012, 12:40 PM

Default Oddball

Here is a scan of the original ticker tape that Phillies announcing great Harry Kalas used to call Sandy Koufax's 3rd no-hitter on 6/4/64 at Philadelphia.

This and the ticker tape announcing HOF'er Jim Bunning's perfect game on Fathers Day, June 21, 1964 were glued to pages in Kalas' personal notebook that he kept from the 1964 season. Unique and cool, a definite link to a very different time in baseball history when announcers used ticker tapes as one of their standard resources to ply their trade. I picked this notebook up on eBay a few years ago for next to nothing.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Wow... that is awesome! I wish they could resurrect just half of that creativity and artistry shown on these old prorams and logos. Today's stuff is so generic and bland.

Here's the pennant I referenced, which shows that the 49ers carried this mascot through into the mid- 1960s. Maybe he just re-surfaced for a short time. Either way, it's a great image (and amazing cover art on that program!)
I picked this up last week in a former NFL player's scrapbook...I posted it on the autograph side for opinions, but since it's not a Jeter/Mantle/Williams/Ruth nobody has an opinion.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Here is a scan of the original ticker tape that Phillies announcing great Harry Kalas used to call Sandy Koufax's 3rd no-hitter on 6/4/64 at Philadelphia.

This and the ticker tape announcing HOF'er Jim Bunning's perfect game on Fathers Day, June 21, 1964 were glued to pages in Kalas' personal notebook that he kept from the 1964 season. Unique and cool, a definite link to a very different time in baseball history when announcers used ticker tapes as one of their standard resources to ply their trade. I picked this notebook up on eBay a few years ago for next to nothing.
Kalas was not the Phillies announcer in 64 in fact he was not on the mainland

From Wipi
Professional career

"Kalas made his major-league debut in 1965 with the Houston Astros, replacing Al Helfer and working alongside Gene Elston and Loel Passe.[1][2] He called the first game at Houston's Astrodome, on April 12, 1965.[3]

He was hired by the Phillies in 1971 to succeed Bill Campbell, and was the master of ceremonies at the 1971 opening of Veterans Stadium. After the retirement of By Saam, Kalas was paired with Andy Musser and Hall of Fame player Richie Ashburn."

Just so you know
Before going to Houston, Kalas was a sports announcer in Hawaii, where he read the games from the wire a day latter
Old 06-04-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
Kalas was not the Phillies announcer in 64 in fact he was not on the mainland

From Wipi
Professional career

"Kalas made his major-league debut in 1965 with the Houston Astros, replacing Al Helfer and working alongside Gene Elston and Loel Passe.[1][2] He called the first game at Houston's Astrodome, on April 12, 1965.[3]

He was hired by the Phillies in 1971 to succeed Bill Campbell, and was the master of ceremonies at the 1971 opening of Veterans Stadium. After the retirement of By Saam, Kalas was paired with Andy Musser and Hall of Fame player Richie Ashburn."

Just so you know
Before going to Houston, Kalas was a sports announcer in Hawaii, where he read the games from the wire a day latter
Hi Jim,
Very interesting! Thanks for letting me know about where Kalas was in 1964. I obviously did not know that.

This must have been the ticker tape that he read and reported re: Sandy's 3rd no-no the following day in HI. I know for certain that it was Kalas' notebook as his name and notations were written inside indicating that it was his. Interestingly enough, the only two ticker tapes that he saved were Sandy's 3rd no-hitter and the Bunning PG. These games must have had special meaning to him, FWIW.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

Speaking of the original 49ers logo from 46' I was wearing my grey 49ers shootin prospector T to a tennis tournament this weekend. My two favorite T's are that an another grey T of the 49ers logo that replaced the shootin prospector in the mid 60's. Here's an original coaches/players jacket and a Carter Hoffman piece. 49ers really should have more merchandise with that logo and incorporate it into the new stadium besides being in the planned 49ers HOF area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09986.jpg (71.7 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09987.jpg (65.1 KB, 219 views)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

My bad the HC piece is a Gibbs-Conner bank. Duh!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Mikeknapp

Here are a couple of large Japanese display poster from 1959-1960 that I dont think I have posted before. The central figures are Oh, Nagashima, and Kaneda who are legendary players in Japan. The final image is of the home dugout phone from Municipal Stadium.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default Nothing big...but special to me...

Contract I recently picked up...Contract for players and development between the Chicago White Sox and our the local team in my area, the Indianapolis Indians...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (74.1 KB, 155 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Scott

That Dugout Bullpen phone is AWESOME.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
That Dugout Bullpen phone is AWESOME.
Thanks Scott being an Indian fan it is one of my favorite pieces. I hope to eventually find one from Three Rivers to go with it. I have chairs as well but this dugout phone is so different and ugly I fell in love with it and had to add it to my collection.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Hi Jim,
Interestingly enough, the only two ticker tapes that he saved were Sandy's 3rd no-hitter and the Bunning PG. These games must have had special meaning to him, FWIW.
he was the play by play guy for a minor league team in Hawaii but also did the replay of important major league teams on the wire to the islands and SE asia for the troops there. So the no hitter and perfect games would be a big deal to rebroadcast

Last edited by murphusa; 06-05-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Army Football Doll

Army football doll. The Army Navy ribbon from Kennedy Stadium probably was added later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09342_001.jpg (71.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Rare 1961 All Star Game Plate

Has anyone ever seen one of these before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09334_001.jpg (63.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSC09337_001.jpg (58.9 KB, 118 views)
Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Dennis Burke Award from NY Mets

1 of a kind award to Dennis Burke from NY Mets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09348_001.jpg (75.4 KB, 174 views)
Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default '57 Milwaukee Braves Ashtray

A gift from a old friend, it is new in the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2133.jpg (37.0 KB, 124 views)
Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis O'Brien View Post
A gift from a old friend, it is new in the box.
That is very cool I love stuff like that!