NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-21-2019, 11:10 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default Fake memorabilia auction thread.

I figures it might be good to have a thread where people can post items they feel are fake being posted fir sale accross the various selling websites.

I will start it off.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F333327045310

This seller has listed this as an original whistle from the 1940s being used by Bill Chadwick.
Why do i think its fake? Notice how the engraving is above all the scratches. If it were original, the scratches would go through the engraving as part of the wearing process. That plus the fact that in his history there multiple other whistles, cigarette cases, etc from some pretty rare events like the 1903 WS. Most sold pretty cheap. I dont k ow anything abiut the war stuff he is selling, but the sports items all look bogus to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

As far as I can tell nearly all his historical items are rubbish too.

It's all laser etched/engraved on actual old items, basically anything that's got enough space to put a name and some "interesting" logo or info.

The machine to do this runs about $3000 for a decent one, but there are cheaper ones out there.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Either him or another seller in England has been discussed before. Selling total crap fantasy pieces that people bid on. The buyers are either morons or just don't care. I am sorry that I missed out on the Iron Maiden 1980 Tour cigarette case. I am sure that was legitimate.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 09-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Tim Odeen

I wish this was around over the summer. A guy in England was selling old press pins - one was the 1939 world series. The details on it just weren't the same quality as one that is authentic. The same seller had at least 8 different press pin auctions going because they had "recently bought a collection." I alerted the ebay that I thought it was fraudulent but they didn't care. That 1939 Reds vs Yankees press pin sold for a pretty penny.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-27-2019, 04:06 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I wish this was around over the summer. A guy in England was selling old press pins - one was the 1939 world series. The details on it just weren't the same quality as one that is authentic. The same seller had at least 8 different press pin auctions going because they had "recently bought a collection." I alerted the ebay that I thought it was fraudulent but they didn't care. That 1939 Reds vs Yankees press pin sold for a pretty penny.
These come up constantly.
In fact there are about 10 listed now up for autction from a seller in Germany, from 1911 through 1945

They always seem to sell for more than a cheap replica should. Ebay has been notified, but I think they get away with it by not ever actually saying they are "original"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2019, 09:56 PM
Tim Odeen

That 1939 pin was over $100 because it was Yankees related. I felt bad for the sap that bought it. When I first saw it I thought, this price is too good to be true. So I looked for authentic examples and compared. I was happy I did so then I wouldn't be the poor sap who paid too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
These come up constantly.
In fact there are about 10 listed now up for autction from a seller in Germany, from 1911 through 1945

They always seem to sell for more than a cheap replica should. Ebay has been notified, but I think they get away with it by not ever actually saying they are "original"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-16-2020, 03:47 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default more garbage

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baseball-19...UAAOSwZwRff3fN

first off it was called "Worlds", not World back then. Also, I believe it was "Pittsburg" not Pittsburgh at that time.

love when they are so stupid they can't even get these things right, makes spotting fakes easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg (68.1 KB, 383 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-16-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:20 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post

first off it was called "Worlds", not World back then. Also, I believe it was "Pittsburg" not Pittsburgh at that time.

love when they are so stupid they can't even get these things right, makes spotting fakes easier.
Isn't it quite odd that the ink stains above the 3 and on the left did not find their way into the engraving. That must be some magic engraving that resists any type of aging or ink stains.

I sent him a note:

"All your stuff is jobby (Scot for feces). We would never call it an inkpot. What do you expect from a skirt wearer."

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 10-16-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:40 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Isn't it quite odd that the ink stains above the 3 and on the left did not find their way into the engraving. That must be some magic engraving that resists any type of aging or ink stains.

I sent him a note:

"All your stuff is jobby (Scot for feces). We would never call it an inkpot. What do you expect from a skirt wearer."
Ahahaahahahaahahhahaha!!!! LOVE IT!
Old 10-17-2020, 10:31 AM

Default fake

When a presentation piece is given to an athlete 99% of the time the piece is brand new when engraved. So obviously as the new piece ages and gets dinged around the engraving would be be dinged around as well. A little common sense for potential buyers is all that is needed to realize these are no legitimate pieces
Old 10-18-2020, 07:51 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post

The same seller had a cup supposedly given to Francis Ouimet. He was the 14 year old who won the US Open and the movie The Greatest Game Ever Played was about. It was engraved sideways on the cup! I looked it up and he did win the event that was on the cup but I just started thinking about it, sideways?? then I looked at his stuff for sale and a lot was engraved items, oh boy. Anyway the cup sold for nearly $1000. Beware.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears