NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Richard Simon

Default Negro League Broadside - help needed

Is this legit? Any idea on value if it is?
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture011.jpg (76.6 KB, 199 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Chris Wood

Default Looks good..

I am not expert. Looks like you have another one? Interested in selling one (when you have the info etc.)? chris
Old 08-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Phil Garry

Richard:

E-mail sent.

Thanks,

Phil Garry
Old 08-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Richard Simon

Guys,,, I don't own this now, it is being offered to me.
I don't know if it is legit or not and I don't know the value.
Any clues there would be appreciated.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Alan Elefson

Richard-
I too am not an expert, but it also looks good to me (although it is impossible to tell without it in hand). One reason I think it looks good is that I have never seen another. Another reason is that I found a similar age baseball broadside (with a large blank area that was never filled in like yours) several years ago, and it was definitely period. It had similar aging spots as well. That is the best I can offer without holding the item and learning about its history of possession from the current owner (e.g. if this was an antique shop "find" I would be more suspicious than if it had been in the owner's family for 60 plus years). If it is real, I hope you can acquire it at a fair price. It looks really cool!
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Old 08-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Rick P

A quick check on the Nashville Elite Giants on the NLBPA website says that the team moved to Columbus after the 1934 season. In the lower left corner, the windowcard notes that the Philadelphia Stars were the 1934 Champions of the league.

Seems to me it's like a phantom world series ticket: it might be real--it might be from the period...but there was never the reality of a 1935 season to make it legitimate. An overeager printer, perhaps...but that would explain why they are "stock" sheets without any detailed game or schedule info.

From my perspective, however, I would think a forger would not go to the trouble of creating these for a team that didn't exist...and if they did, why would they do it with no game info printed? You could make the case that you aren't breaking the law by producing a fantasy piece...but if you were deliverately doing that, why leave it half-printed?
Old 08-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Rick P

Default One other thought...

There's a notation that they were printed in Pittsburgh. I was in Nashville last week with my son and visited Hatch Show Print, a famous print shop that has produced windowcards like this since 1879. They are still in business. If it was truly a local production for the Nashville club, I would be shocked if they went out of town for printing in 1934 (depths of the depression) because of the extra shipping costs alone.

Perhaps the Negro League itself ordered stock posters in one large print run for all the teams, simply changing the team name at the top of the poster during the run. If that were true...and it might be...it seems that we would have seen this style before (I assume the Nashville team is pictured along with the other teams on the borders).

I know that only muddies the water a bit more...but I didn't want to let it pass without bringing it up.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Jim VB

James,

Can you use a blacklight on the paper?
Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
James,

Can you use a blacklight on the paper?
Jim - I assume you meant Richard and not James,, but I don't own this yet. I received a digital pic and am trying to determine if I should try to buy it.
--
Old 08-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Jim VB

Sorry Richard. Brain freeze, I guess.

As much as you can tell from a picture, they (two of them at least) look real. They would have been printed up, in quantity, and the dates and particulars on specific games could have been written in after. But as Alan said, I don't think you'll know until it's in your hands.

Last edited by Jim VB; 08-15-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:13 AM
Richard Simon

There is only one broadside.
--
Old 08-16-2009, 06:28 AM

Default Broadside

There is only one? In the photo, it looks like you can see a portion of a 2nd one on the right hand side of the photo, and at the bottom right corner, you can see a bit of what looks like a 3rd one.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjavic View Post
There is only one? In the photo, it looks like you can see a portion of a 2nd one on the right hand side of the photo, and at the bottom right corner, you can see a bit of what looks like a 3rd one.
You may be right, but I was offered a broadside, and it seemed like the seller only referred to one.
--
Old 08-16-2009, 02:09 PM

Default Great Item

The same type of broadside sold in the 2004 Robert Edward's auction for $2300. They didn't note the team move. I would agree with previous posts that it may have been made before the team moved- in fact that may be why some survived in unused form. I have posted this before but here is a broadside a picked up a few months back- the back has the game cost numbers showing how the team budgets were so tight that unused broadsides were used as scrap paper for the teams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monarchs.jpg (80.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg monarchs 002.jpg (77.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Scott Gaynor

It's real. There must have been a small find of these as they first turned up about 10 years ago. Worth $2000-3000 depending on condition.

Scott
https://www.ebay.com/sch/estate-find...1&_ipg=&_from=

Find my monthly auctions on auctionninja
https://www.auctionninja.com/gaynors-fine-consignments/