NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 01-24-2021, 06:56 AM
John

Default Topps Allen & Ginter

I got really sucked into the 2016 Allen & Ginter cards. I am pathologically collecting the various Cubs cards from that set. Still have a few to go. I can't help but feel that this set was specifically designed to drive collectors like me nuts. (tongue firmly in cheek) Was just curious how many other folks here are into the the sets too.

Picked up my first printing plate. I don't have any silks yet. I'm not sure if I am into them or not. I know that is the beauty of collecting, you get to choose what you like.

I really like the jersey relics, autographs, and the back variations. I have most of them in a binder so I can look at them now and again. I have a few unopened hobby boxes on the way, looking forward to opening the packs up.

I have a Sandberg and Dawson base card autographed. Thinking about mailing out to a bunch of the players and seeing if I can get them to sign the card for me.

John

Successful Transactions with: KMayUSA6060, Jacklitsch, philliesfan, JimmyC
Old 01-24-2021, 07:07 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

A lot of vintage collectors like them because they resemble the old cards they collect, and add interesting historical items like those silks/cloths you mentioned. Some of the sets even include real cards from the 1880s in modern buyback frames as chase cards. While the original Allen & Ginter didn't make any silks to my knowledge, they were really popular in the 1910 era of tobacco cards:
https://www.comc.com/Cards,so,=silks,ot

Most set collectors still like them, but not as much now that you have to consider Ginter X, Chrome, and Sapphire? as parallels. Most people just liked the simplicity of a few parallels, which mostly stayed the same from year to year before Ginter X became a thing.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:54 AM

Default Topps Allen & Ginter

2020 was my 1st year collecting A&G. I don't think it's a particularly profitable product, but it's still one I like. Also, it's not that expensive, so it's not like you're breaking the bank. 3 hits per box is pretty good for the price, even if a lot of the relics aren't worth a lot (they're still cool cards).

The rip cards are cool and unique and, if you are looking to make your money back, they fetch decent prices on eBay.

I also like the feel of the cards. Chrome cards typically look good, but I don't particularly like the feel of them when I'm rifling through cards.

The throwback players are cool, too. They can be a nice addition to your personal collection without paying a ton for vintage cards.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:27 PM

I hadn't purchased a new release card since 1990, bought and opened two hobby boxes of 2020 Allen & Ginter, then another hobby box, had a blast, and then bought a case to put in the closet.

For my particular brand of OCD this set really lets me scratch that itch/enables me. The mini inserts and the other sub-sets, as well as the Rip Cards, in particular, all add to it, love that set.

Wanted to dive into 2020 Gypsy Queen, actually, not A&G, but didn't get the itch until September and that was already 6 months post-GQ release and it had already essentially doubled. Got in at $110 a box, $1100 on the case, GQ was roughly twice that.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:51 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Gypsy queen doesn't hold long term value, comparatively. Ginter has a loyal following, and if you like puzzles, read up on the Ginter Code.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:05 PM

I like Gypsy Queen, too. Maybe a little more, since I think the chances of pulling an autograph are better.

Everything you said about A&G is right on the money, though.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Gypsy queen doesn't hold long term value, comparatively. Ginter has a loyal following, and if you like puzzles, read up on the Ginter Code.
I wrote the messages down with some notes when it came out. My wife saw it with no context and thought I had gone crazy (more crazy?) for a few hours. Good times.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:04 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitcherMeRolling View Post
I wrote the messages down with some notes when it came out. My wife saw it with no context and thought I had gone crazy (more crazy?) for a few hours. Good times.
One of the winning teams posts regularly on Blowout. You get some really neat prizes for sticking it out and solving it first. I remember one solution was based on recreating the Flux Capacitor from Back to the Future using cards from that year's set.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...highlight=code
Old 01-27-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
One of the winning teams posts regularly on Blowout. You get some really neat prizes for sticking it out and solving it first. I remember one solution was based on recreating the Flux Capacitor from Back to the Future using cards from that year's set.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...highlight=code
I've never looked at the forums on Blowout. I'll check that out. Thanks
Old 01-30-2021, 06:15 PM
John

Wow...thanks for sharing that about the Ginter Code. That is awesome.

John

Successful Transactions with: KMayUSA6060, Jacklitsch, philliesfan, JimmyC
Old 02-08-2021, 08:14 AM
Tim Carroll

Allen & Ginter is my weak spot. Particularly, the framed mini autographs of non-MLB players. I'm a baseball guy, but the recurring pop culture combined with low print runs on each makes them fun to track down.

39 to go for my 2006-present run (I currently have 508 of the 547). Here are some of my favorites that I have been able to land:

If anyone thinks they may have something I can use (and are willing to sell/trade), please take a look at my needs: https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=296329

www.timcarrollart.com

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @timcarrollart