NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2024, 03:50 PM

Elijah Wood's first card (one of the two kids playing the video game).

Last edited by wdmullins; 06-16-2024 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:44 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Found a major grail. Cost me next to nothing. 1952 promo card of Hank Williams, his only "card" issued during his lifetime to the best of my knowledge.
Looks like a card to me. Congrats.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-20-2024, 08:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

Thanks Adam. The only other vintage Hank card I know of is this (criminally undergraded, it's pristine) 1965 Heather Country Music, but it's long long after his death.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg williams,hank.jpg (194.7 KB, 392 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

1930s postcard of a very young John Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waynepc.jpg (77.4 KB, 391 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This was moved from another section so a few more eyes can see it. Neat cards shown that a lot of us can relate to whether we collect non-sports or not.

Last edited by Leon; 06-26-2024 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 02:36 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I've been told that my 1899 Stollwerck Leonardo Da Vinci is his "Rookie Card" lol. Feels like a good excuse to post a picture of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SGC_20240606_235.jpg (199.6 KB, 362 views)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:09 AM
Derek Granger

I think the term “rookie” has honestly just supplanted the word “earliest” for all facets of card collecting. I’m fine with it. And I’ve started to dabble in the non-sports “rookie” collecting thing as well, but am way behind Peter with respect to this niche and am not as stringent with the “rules”.

As for Michel Jackson, wouldn’t his 1969 Victoria Vedetten Parade pre-date the 1972 issue from the first post??

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 06-26-2024, 08:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

That Jackson is from 1973. Victoria Vedetten Parade were issued in four series from 1965 to 1973 and PSA just ignores that and calls them all 1969 which has led to people mislabeling them. This is from the last series. I have this on good authority from the world's leading music card collector and from people in Europe.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-26-2024 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:12 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I have started a collection of non-sport prookies. I have a feeling it will be quite small.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:51 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I think the term “rookie”’ is absurd in this context.

Hypothetically a guy performs on stage or screen for a dozen years and then ends for the first time on a card or similar item …. That ain’t a rookie anything. It’s a first something.

If Joe Biden or Willie Nelson ended up on a card this year for the first time, would someone with a straight face claim that as a “rookie” something?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-26-2024 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I think the term “rookie”’ is absurd in this context.

Hypothetically a guy performs on stage or screen for a dozen years and then ends for the first time on a card or similar item …. That ain’t a rookie anything. It’s a first something.
Exactly. This term is infuriating when applied to non-athletes who don't have rookie seasons. It's used in an attempt to drive up hype and inflate prices by introducing such cards to sports-based collectors as "RCs".

Of course, this will lead to somebody asking how this then applies to executives and other non-playing personnel who may have cards issued as part of sports sets. To me, that's a bit of a grey area, but hey, they are involved in the sport in some way.

I'm thinking that perhaps The Simpsons came up with this idea over 30 years ago. "A Methuselah rookie card!"

For musicians, should their RC have to be released around the same time as their debut album or first hit? Should I have to pay a premium for a A Taste of Honey card that was issued pre-Boogie Oogie Oogie?

Now, steer me to the Captain and Tenille RCs and Dion DiMucci superrefractors!

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 06-26-2024 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:04 PM

Love the facsimile autograph in modern script.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prsfew9jdh471.jpg (56.7 KB, 301 views)
Old 06-26-2024, 06:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Don't people call 50-51 Toleteros Josh Gibson (issued after he died) his rookie card? There are certainly a number of first football cards issued years after the player's rookie season that are commonly called RCs.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-26-2024 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:30 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Don't people call 50-51 Toleteros Josh Gibson (issued after he died) his rookie card? There are certainly a number of first football cards issued years after the player's rookie season that are commonly called RCs.
This has never made any sense to me. Post-war vintage football is replete with "rookies" of long-time veterans. HOFer Frank Gatski's "rookie card" is a 1955 Bowman, his last year as a professional, as just one example (the 1946 Sears isn't a rookie because reasons). 1955 Topps All-American, 1952 Bowman, and 1948 Leaf cards that feature college players can be rookies, even posthumously, but the 1951 Topps Magic's are not. The inconsistent rules, the small set sizes, football rookies are more of a mess than baseball.

It seems to me some players just don't have a rookie card.

"First card" makes more sense to me to use for these things. The silliest is the fictional character rookies. I collect (i.e. hoard) the 1977 Topps Star Wars, or at least I used to do when I could buy bulk for a dime a pop. Ever since the 2020 increases, the younger crowd has been hyping "Luke Skywalker RC" and "Boba Fett RC" in the 1980 set in the Discord groups. Seems kind of silly to me. I suppose every single card in the 1977 set is a "first card/rookie" of whatever is featured.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:35 AM

Let's not forget about the ridiculous concept of some Laughlin cards being considered RCs. Forget about later career or post-career! Some of these were issued post-mortem! Your "rookie" had already been six feet under for 30-40 years. One player, Bill Monroe, died in 1915! That's 59 years before the card was issued. Sorry, that's not a RC for my taste. "First card" fits the bill.

But back on topic, there certainly are a lot of gorgeous music and non-sports cards out there. I may not agree with the RC designation, but completely understand the appeal.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 06-27-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2024, 12:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
This has never made any sense to me. Post-war vintage football is replete with "rookies" of long-time veterans. HOFer Frank Gatski's "rookie card" is a 1955 Bowman, his last year as a professional, as just one example (the 1946 Sears isn't a rookie because reasons). 1955 Topps All-American, 1952 Bowman, and 1948 Leaf cards that feature college players can be rookies, even posthumously, but the 1951 Topps Magic's are not. The inconsistent rules, the small set sizes, football rookies are more of a mess than baseball.

It seems to me some players just don't have a rookie card.

"First card" makes more sense to me to use for these things. The silliest is the fictional character rookies. I collect (i.e. hoard) the 1977 Topps Star Wars, or at least I used to do when I could buy bulk for a dime a pop. Ever since the 2020 increases, the younger crowd has been hyping "Luke Skywalker RC" and "Boba Fett RC" in the 1980 set in the Discord groups. Seems kind of silly to me. I suppose every single card in the 1977 set is a "first card/rookie" of whatever is featured.
Basketball too given the huge gaps in production prior to 1969. 1948, 1957, 1961 so lots of "RCs" of players 5, 6 years into their careers.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-27-2024 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2024, 12:54 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

When one refers to a Rookie Card, is not the adjective rookie linked to the word card itself rather than the subject of the card. If you agree then all "first" cards are equivalent to "rookie" cards. Haven't we got enough to quibble about instead of this?

Frank "still waiting for my rookie card" Burkett

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed from 2012 to 2024.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-27-2024, 12:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

It seems in sports, all players must have a rookie card, so that would accord with what Frank is saying.

Old 06-27-2024, 05:10 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
When one refers to a Rookie Card, is not the adjective rookie linked to the word card itself rather than the subject of the card. If you agree then all "first" cards are equivalent to "rookie" cards. Haven't we got enough to quibble about instead of this?

Frank "still waiting for my rookie card" Burkett
People have really scraped the bottom of the barrel of possible things to complain about when they get triggered over the use of 'rookie card' with regards to non-sports personalities, and h2oya311 put it perfectly when he said (paraphrase alert) it was just a general way to say 'first' card.

Frank, if you send me a pic, I will gladly plug you in to a 1972 Topps 'In Action' card that you can then call your rookie (meaning FIRST) card. The only proviso is you actually have to be doing something active in the photograph (any activity under the sun counts)...which seems to be getting tougher for many of us these days.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2024, 02:00 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Mao’s rookie card?

https://goldin.co/item/mao-zedong-si...t-bookletjglht
Old 06-29-2024, 02:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
He is in 1951 Bowman Red Menace lol.

Old 06-29-2024, 02:22 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
He is in 1951 Bowman Red Menace lol.
Ha. Good one sir.
Old 06-29-2024, 02:48 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Not "one of the rarest and most coveted" items nor "an enticing investment opportunity" for Goldin's clientele of elite collectors of genocidal dictators, but the Red Menace card offers striking artwork of what appears to be the Wicked Witch of the far east and a sword wielding executioner ape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mao.jpg (177.1 KB, 235 views)
Old 06-29-2024, 03:06 PM
David M.

This should be on the list for the "clientele of elite collectors of genocidal dictators". I'm not sure if it's actually his "rookie" card or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hitler Mitchells Cigarettes A Gallery Of 1934.jpg (75.8 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 06-29-2024 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 03:19 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I have a few Stalin postcards from the soviet era in a box around here somewhere but I have no idea if the last one of the trio has a 'rookie card'.

Alexander's rookie would be a CDV of a statue probably but this T68 is the nicest old card of another one of history's great villains of violence and mass murder. Would have been cool if his teacher got into the checklist instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76219-5492282Fr-1314210665.jpg (37.0 KB, 224 views)
Old 06-29-2024, 03:20 PM
David M.

I'm only guessing if these are the earliest examples for these two. 1955 James Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 Maple Leaf No. 60 James Dean.jpg (66.1 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg 1959 MGM Italian Issue Charlton Heston.jpg (66.3 KB, 224 views)
Old 06-29-2024, 03:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Dean yes, Heston no, this is 1954. I had one of those Deans, sold it, regretted it, and can not find another lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heston54.jpg (111.5 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-29-2024 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2024, 08:00 PM
David M.

Quote:
Dean yes, Heston no, this is 1954. I had one of those Deans, sold it, regretted it, and can not find another lol.
I think I bought it from you!
Old 06-29-2024, 08:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I think I bought it from you!
LOL could be.

Old 06-30-2024, 03:14 PM
David M.

I would guess these are all pretty close to the first appearance for all of these folks in 1888.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N28_allen_ginter_rifle_shooters.jpg (192.3 KB, 185 views)
Old 07-04-2024, 08:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

As an aside, what's to be done when a nonsports figure just has no contemporary cards? Photo, for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg croce73.jpg (178.0 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg ma.jpg (191.9 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg miller,s.jpg (170.5 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg taupin.jpg (177.4 KB, 199 views)

Old 07-05-2024, 08:08 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

No wonder Taupin stayed behind the scenes

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-05-2024 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2024, 09:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

Back to cards. 1962 Eastwood. 1984 Arnold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EASTWOOD.jpg (130.7 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg arnold.jpg (96.1 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-05-2024 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-05-2024, 10:37 AM
David M.

Early Rolling Stones. Dutch, listed as 1965-1967, so not sure if there is something earlier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dutch 1965_67 Rolling Stones.jpg (72.8 KB, 171 views)
Old 07-05-2024, 10:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

1965. They may have earlier postcards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rollingstones65.jpg (112.4 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg jagger.jpg (103.8 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg richard,k.jpg (115.7 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-05-2024 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2024, 11:08 AM
Chuck Tapia

only 850 songs in the songbook, and not 1 hard to listen to. One of the Best selling Artists of all time... Here's his solo "Rookie card" without the "Heartbreakers"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1977 Monty Gum Tom Petty .jpg (206.1 KB, 164 views)
Old 07-07-2024, 10:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

1977 Monty Punk also has first cards of Blondie and Elvis Costello.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg costello.jpg (68.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg harry,d.jpg (65.8 KB, 151 views)

Old 07-07-2024, 11:35 AM

Punk, New Wave and "Tompetty" are three very different things.
Old 07-07-2024, 01:02 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
Punk, New Wave and "Tom Petty" are three very different things.
Isn't that funny. That's the Genre they tried to box him in at the beginning.

I think this 1977 Monte Gum Punk set also has "Kiss" rookie cards as well?
Old 07-07-2024, 01:10 PM
qualitycards

Was John Wayne in anything earlier then these arcade cards?

Old 07-07-2024, 01:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39290646602...Bk9SR4LO8-qRZA

Old 07-07-2024, 02:38 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Holy Cow! 1932
Old 07-07-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Isn't that funny. That's the Genre they tried to box him in at the beginning.
I had never heard that. There's nothing more "American Rock & Roll" than Tom Petty. That's his category.
Old 07-07-2024, 03:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I had never heard that. There's nothing more "American Rock & Roll" than Tom Petty. That's his category.
https://www.thepettyarchives.com/arc...02-newwaverock

Old 07-07-2024, 03:26 PM

Thanks for that. Interesting.

If he had just debuted a few years earlier, he wouldn't have had to put up with their need to pigeonhole him. He would have been right alongside Springsteen, obviously not as another "second coming of Dylan", but just in the unabashedly American R&R vibe of their compositions. Two different sounds, but the spirit is the same and both are quintessential R&R. That's it. Just plain ol' rock & roll. If more proof was ever needed by the industry that he was just a rock & roller, all they had to do was wait a couple of years to see how, of all the younger generation of musicians of the era, Petty seemed to be so quickly and warmly embraced by the old guard. Not normally so easy an accomplishment. The old guys dug him, on both sides of the pond.

(I write this not even from the vantage point of being a Petty fan.)

In that late 1970's era, I suppose an artist just wasn't allowed to be "rock & roll". Everybody had to have a label/category attached to them.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 07-07-2024 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-08-2024, 07:32 PM
Jerry

Quote:
Thanks for that. Interesting.

If he had just debuted a few years earlier, he wouldn't have had to put up with their need to pigeonhole him. He would have been right alongside Springsteen, obviously not as another "second coming of Dylan", but just in the unabashedly American R&R vibe of their compositions. Two different sounds, but the spirit is the same and both are quintessential R&R. That's it. Just plain ol' rock & roll. If more proof was ever needed by the industry that he was just a rock & roller, all they had to do was wait a couple of years to see how, of all the younger generation of musicians of the era, Petty seemed to be so quickly and warmly embraced by the old guard. Not normally so easy an accomplishment. The old guys dug him, on both sides of the pond.

(I write this not even from the vantage point of being a Petty fan.)

In that late 1970's era, I suppose an artist just wasn't allowed to be "rock & roll". Everybody had to have a label/category attached to them.
As a retired performing musician/guitarist...amongst other musicians, 1st and foremost, Tom Petty was a great song writer. There are truly very few song writers on the planet (ever) that can/could write great songs by themselves. The great songs are usually collaborative efforts. Most musicians are very jealous of the great song writers But they still love the music! I suppose though when it comes to music, beauty is in the ear of the beholder. So I digress I love this thread, great cards!!

Selling: Cards and memorabilia I'm weaning from my collection to fund other collecting interests.
https://www.ebay.com/str/recollectionantiques/
Old 07-08-2024, 09:06 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbeatle View Post
As a retired performing musician/guitarist...amongst other musicians, 1st and foremost, Tom Petty was a great song writer. There are truly very few song writers on the planet (ever) that can/could write great songs by themselves. The great songs are usually collaborative efforts. Most musicians are very jealous of the great song writers But they still love the music! I suppose though when it comes to music, beauty is in the ear of the beholder. So I digress I love this thread, great cards!!
Me too. I love the cards on this thread And I especially love the articulate retrospects from the Net54ers. Much better than the "Stolen" threads.
Old 07-09-2024, 09:33 AM
Stephen Benzel

I collect fictional character rookie cards and I love it. We should definitely call them rookie cards, because the term has taken a life of its own independent of being a rookie in a sport. Sometimes it's difficult figuring out what card is really the rookie card. Is it enough that they appear on the card, or do they need to be the main subject of the card?

What is Godzilla's rookie card? Is it one of these from the 1965 Donruss King Kong set?

Is it this 1994 Trendmasters that came in an action figure package?

1995 Amada Godzilla was the first pack-pulled set dedicated to Goji. Is card #1 the rookie card?

Or is it #34 because it's the first one that says "Godzilla" on the front?

Is there room for XRCs in non-sports cards? If PSA won't grade it can it count as a rookie card? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

Last edited by Shankweather; 07-09-2024 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2024, 09:55 AM
Dave

LOL, big fan of the "What type of skin cream do you use?" card.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 07-09-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-09-2024, 11:13 AM
An$on

I, too, prefer the First Card designation, as others have said. It's a little tricky in many instances compared to the rookie card designation, though.

Many players have more than one rookie card, which is accepted. They're all simply known as rookies. But 'first card' infers that it's an individual's very first card -- even if that technically isn't the case. And many non-sports subjects have more than one card debuting in the same year (i.e. Queen/Princess Elizabeth, who has a few from 1935).

I'll leave it up to the pros to figure it all out. In the meantime, here's a card of Beethoven. Given the abundance of cabinets, CDVs, and what defines a card, I'm not bold enough to call it his first. So let's just say 'early.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beethoven 1875 Jaques and Son.jpg (194.7 KB, 85 views)
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (96/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95/96 (26/55)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 A&G (84/100)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1939-41 Play Ball (381/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565, Dozens of smaller uncategorized sets

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com