NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default What do you think these would go for today?

These are NOT for sale.. I am just curious what our Hee-Haw gang thinks they (not the regular Matty) would go for in today's market? I paid very strong for them

ps...added Matty proof for the heck of it.....

Last edited by Leon; 01-26-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Alan U

I don't have an answer to your question, but have you ever figured out what the yellow on the back of the card outlines, if anything?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
I don't have an answer to your question, but have you ever figured out what the yellow on the back of the card outlines, if anything?
Good question and I have no idea. Its also been said there are 4 tobacco brands on back but I think I only see 3? (Brown Old Mill. Piedmont and EPDG)
Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Good question and I have no idea. Its also been said there are 4 tobacco brands on back but I think I only see 3? (Brown Old Mill. Piedmont and EPDG)
I think it's because EPDG is on their twice: right-side-up and upside-down, so it was two printings.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
Isn't the yellow just the base "coat"/color for the green background and gray uni?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Absolutely worthless print defects, just send em to me
Old 01-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Barry Sloate

Matty= 35-40K

Mullaney= 10-15K
Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM
David Pierson
Banned

50 to 60 K for the pair?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Matty= 35-40K

Mullaney= 10-15K
Thanks for the guesses, Barry.....I have a feeling you are probably close though the Matty could go anywhere considering things we are seeing today.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Tom Boblitt

There's at least one high profile person with other proofs that would likely be interested in the Matty..........
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM
octavio ranzola

no idea leon but they are very pretty good luck .
Old 01-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
no idea leon but they are very pretty good luck .
Thanks Rjackson but they truly are not for sale. I have just wondered on current value but no one could say for sure until they are sold, since they are unique.

Tom B- yes, he would probably be interested and probably have a few competitors.

Dave- thanks for the guess.....I concur (as well as Barry )
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Leon,

I dont know I guess we could put them in B&L this month and find out?

I know one thng I wouldn't buy them...

Cheers,

John
Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Jeff

Default T206 Proof(s)

Leon,

That Matty is a super card. I have a question for the crowd. Assume you have two Matty proofs like Leon's but one of them is for a pose that was never issued like the Eddie Collins Batting pose that KO owns. Now assume they were both in comparable condition, how much more would the one for a pose never issued go for if any?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Recently a common player proof went for under 2k which I think was a steal, so I have no clue on the Matty.

A decent ghost back card can go for 3-8k, miscut upside-down backs 2-4k then there is the Brown OM back to factor in. I would think 15-30k+.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Recently a common player proof went for under 2k which I think was a steal, so I have no clue on the Matty.

A decent ghost back card can go for 3-8k, miscut upside-down backs 2-4k then there is the Brown OM back to factor in. I would think 15-30k+.
Because of your interests, you're as good as anyone to make the guess on either card's value: If you had $100K card budget and these were the only two you had any interest in, what would YOU be willing to pay?

My thought on those multi-ad back scraps is they don't do much for me - the ones on ebay are just plain ugly. What makes this cool is the Cy Young ghost, but I think it would be worth more with ONLY the Cy Young ghost.

The Matty just needs two interested bidder - as someone alluded, we know who one of them would be (probably). Now all you need is good advertising and a Matty collector who just cashed an inheritance check.

The only to find out on either, though, is to put them in an auction that gets good prices on singles, and let them fly.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Scott, I hear you on the multi add backs and if it was just the Young ghost I think it would be more visually appealing. For me the ghost and brown OM combo are killer. If I had 100k, I'd put down 15-20 for the ghost and pass on the Matty as I've got no clue on these first run proofs. Either way, beautiful cards and both one of a kind.

I'm hoping we can get some high res scans of the Mullany. I would love to "rebuild" it in photoshop to see all the different print layers.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Scott, I hear you on the multi add backs and if it was just the Young ghost I think it would be more visually appealing. For me the ghost and brown OM combo are killer. If I had 100k, I'd put down 15-20 for the ghost and pass on the Matty as I've got no clue on these first run proofs. Either way, beautiful cards and both one of a kind.

I'm hoping we can get some high res scans of the Mullany. I would love to "rebuild" it in photoshop to see all the different print layers.
I have been a bit busy this week but will try to go the safe deposit box next week and grab these 2 cards. A few folks would like some hi res scans, which I have no problem giving out. I hope to not see reprints for sale on ebay from the folks I give them to though.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:42 PM
JeR@Me

Default How much ?

At least a song and a dance...
Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Larry

Default Unique and near unique proofs of upper echelon HOF'ers

IMHO, we will see prices all over the map for unique and near unique proofs of top echelon HOF'ers for awhile, as it will take the market some time to stabilize (read years). Once it does, however, they'll be big. Rare and significant is a winning formula in any collectibles field. The only proof I own is a 1969 PSA authentic Topps Super Reggie Jackson [Reggie's other rookie] with square corners and apparently lacking the gloss, and I have high hopes for that one years and years down the road.

Best regards, guys,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 01-26-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Daniel Alsup

If this were a contest, I would guess that the yellow is from a non-sport card. Something like a 1910 T42.

This is a misprint T42 that I own.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Ed McCollum

Default My best guess

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 01-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Steven Finley

Really I haven't a clue, but I would venture to guess 40k-60k for the pair in a private sale. If you could get them in a top auction during strong economic times and were able to get a couple of people to fight over one or both of them you could really blow that number out of the water.

Awesome cards and you show them off like a proud parent with a set of twins! I've admired them on numerous occasions, but I'm curious to how you obtained them. Of course I don't expect you to tell what you paid, but were they private sale, auction, or card show pickups? You know if you sold them you could probably upgrade the site and add a flash intro with explosions
Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Scott Levy

Super cards Leon.

I'm sure that you know that I love 'em both! If the timing was right and I happened to have the funds - I'd be in the 15k ballpark for the scrap and 25k ballpark for the proof.

I'm certain that I'm not alone in terms of a desire to have cards like these --- so my guess at today's hammer price in a top tier auction for the pair is 50-70k.

Best,
Scott

P.S. If you ever do want to sell 'em shoot me a line

Last edited by scottglevy; 01-27-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post

I've admired them on numerous occasions, but I'm curious to how you obtained them.
The Mullaney-Ghost Young overprint was won on ebay. If you search "Ghost Young" on this board you will find at least 2 long threads where the original owner (30+ yrs) talked a lot about it. I had kind of played along in the last thread even after I had won it, and not let on yet. It was a lot of fun. My mantra, sometimes, is that if you only want to own one of something, try to make it a good one. So that was the case here. The ebay auction was one of the most talked about on this board. The card went for slightly less than 10k and my snipe was around 10,250 if I remember correctly.

On the Johnson proof I acquired it privately from a board member after he won it in public auction. It was between 15k-20k, and on the lower end of those numbers.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 AM

"On the Johnson proof I acquired it privately from a board member after he won it in public auction. It was between 15k-20k, and on the lower end of those numbers."

Wow, you have a Walter Johnson proof, too?? kidding

both cards are exceptional, congrats.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 01-27-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
"On the Johnson proof I acquired it privately from a board member after he won it in public auction. It was between 15k-20k, and on the lower end of those numbers."

Wow, you have a Walter Johnson proof, too?? kidding

both cards are exceptional, congrats.
Yeah, no one knows about it!! It's a Johnson proof that pictures Matty- white cap on it. How rare is that puppy!! And the blank back has a virtual image of Joe Jackson too. Seriously, of course it's Matty, my mistake.

I went back and read those threads on the Mullaney overprint and they were interesting again. The guesses on prices, even 4-6 yrs ago, were all over the place.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:53 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

So Leon these are lot number what in the upcoming B&L? I thought we had rules about pimping auctions on the mainpage.

Cheers,

John
Old 01-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
So Leon these are lot number what in the upcoming B&L? I thought we had rules about pimping auctions on the mainpage.

Cheers,

John
House rules John.....house rules. They aren't for sale!! (check BST tomorrow)
Old 01-27-2012, 07:35 PM

Greetings Leon & All,

In 2005 or 2006 (I'd have to check my records?), I sold the only known SL Printers Proof(tmk) to a fine Gentleman who lives on Broadway in NY. As soon as He knew I had the card, he just asked "How much?" At that time, including the Proof I sold Him, He had 23 T206 Proofs!

I've always hoped that one day(like many others I would have a shot at your Matty Proof...

imho... The Matty iS A Solid 28k... & I also believe that there would be a bidding war for it! So, who really knows...Right?

As for the Overprint, I also think that 50k is within reach because of the same issue that your Matty card has to bring to the block.

And... Unless your young lady has developed a passion for T cards(has She?), I also believe that we will see these on the Block in the future. And I personally can't wait for this to happen '

Dankz Again Leon fir sharing these Timeless Beauty's!