NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Default Starting to collect pre-1950 sets

Posted By: David

I'm a newbie to vintage card collecting. I'm currently working on finishing 54 Bowman and 56 Topps sets, which I guess would barely qualify as vintage by Old Cardboard standards. I'm wondering if there is a pre-1950 set that someone of limited financial means would have a reasonable chance of completing. Cards don't have to be near-mint - G/VG is fine. I'm also working on a set of Salutation exhibits. I guess that would qualify as vintage and reasonably easy to complete, except for the Gehrig and a few others. From my observations of recent card shows, it seems that most vintage cards get graded now by dealers, regardless of condition. Does anyone have tips on sources for lower condition, ungraded cards? I've seen a few on Ebay. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

David,

There are lots of pre-1950 sets that are able to be completed with a little effort. Depending upon how old you want to go, I would suggest the following:

1933 or 1934 Goudeys - These are very nice looking sets. Cards from these sets are readily obtainable and each set is one that can be completed (I think many consider the 1933 set "complete" without the lajoie, which is extremely rare and will cost you a lot to obtain).

Some of the smaller caramel card sets. My personal favorite is the E93 standard caramel set. It consists of 30 cards, 18 of which (if I counted correctly) are hall of famers and all can be found if you give yourself enough time. There are some cards that will cost you (wagner, cobb, young, mathewson) but none are so expensive such as to make them unobtainable to the majority of collectors (such as, for example, a T206 Wagner).

Other caramel sets to consider - E95 and E96

Old 08-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Administrator

I would add that you can find plenty of goudey's that are ungraded - though I would suggest buying a few low priced graded cards first and learn how to distinguish between a real card and a fake. Ebay is a minefield when it comes to fakes.

As for the caramel sets, you are probably better off buying graded until you become very familiar with the sets or unless you are getting the cards from a reliable source.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Also take a look at 1931 W517, 1936 R314A (wide pen), 1936 R322 (Goudey), 1921 Exhibit

Old 08-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

I'm partial to the 1940 Play Ball set - it's a big set for the time (240 cards) and has interesting and informative backs where you can really learn something about the players. The set is made up of a great majority of current players, but it also has a grouping of some of the greats of early 1900's baseball including Alexander, Johnson, Lajoie, Mathewson, Wagner, etc, so you get a good overview of baseball from 1900-1940.

In mid grade, you can often get the cards for a song on EBay (in my opinion they are one of the best deals still out there). The only cards that will set you back a fair amount of money are the Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, and Joe Jackson, but out of 240 cards that isn't too bad a number. The only downside I can see is that the cards are black and white - I don't mind it, but if you're looking for a colorful set Josh's E95 and Goudey suggestions were good ones.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Administrator

I also agree that Greg's suggestion is a good one if you want cards representing players from the early 1900s through the date of the set. The only reason its not on my list is that I prefer cards, where possible, that were made during the player's playing days and many of the players in the playball set were no longer playing - however, that is just personal preference and if that is not a concern, it too would be a great set to collect.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

I am working on a 1933 Goudey set, and just to repeate what Josh K. said, it's a great one to work on.
If you go to a card show, there are usually a few dealers who have some lower great commons. Buy some of those so you can get the feel for an authentic Goudey, as opposed to a reprint.
Also, if you buy any Goudeys on Ebay, always buy them graded, just to ensure you aren't getting ripped off. There are 4 Ruths in the set, so that might be challenging. I love that set, and will post my favorites once I get that sucker done!

Best of luck!
Josh

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

If you are not already in touch with them, be sure to introduce yourself to some of the guys in the Old Baseball Card group. What you will find there is an assembly of knowledgable collectors who focus on typically pre-1960 cards in lower grades. Their preference is to trade for their wants, but that does not always work, eventhough it often does.

Of course, pre-1960 often includes prewar.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

A pretty easy set that is small and can be done on a budget = 1948 Bowman.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I like the 33 Goudey set, but am intimidated by the 4 Ruths.

(As an aside, I remember having one of the Ruths when I was a kid back in the 50's. But it was the old story of "Mom threw out my baseball cards". So along with all my 54 Topps and 55 Bowman cards, the Ruth is so much landfill somewhere in Wisconsin. One year - had to be 1955 - instead of an Easter basket full of candy, my mother gave me a basket full of 55 Bowman packs. Wait, I've got to stop reminiscing, I'm making myself nauseous.)

I've also thought about the 48 Bowman, as that was the year I was born, but I think I'd like to go a little further back. The 40 Playball sounds like a good idea. Also the Goudey wide-pen seems do-able.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

If the Ruths bother you, then how about the Diamond Stars set? No Ruth or Gehrig, but still a bunch of HOFers and from the same era as the Goudey sets.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Williams

Wheaties box backs are very inexpensive, although usually cut pretty bad.

They are very plentiful on E Bay.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

1936 R312 is another choice. A 50 card set, relatively inexpensive. A good number of HOFers. Lots of variety, multiple-player poses, great colors.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The 1941 PLay Ball set is agood one to start with. It's a small set, very colorful and DiMaggio and Williams are the only really expensive cards. The t201 set is agood starter set for new collectors. It was the first tobacco set I completed.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.