NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-25-2012, 11:56 AM

Default Muhammad Ali 1981 UCLA Hospital Autograph

Every once in awhile I get something that I think is very unique. I currently have this item running at auction in my e-bay store. As with all my e-bay offerings I start the bids at $9.99 with no reserve.

http://stores.ebay.com/Jim-Stinson-Sports

Its a Muhammad Ali In-person autograph signed and dated August 1981 , On UCLA Hospital letterhead. Its inscribed "To David". I bought the item as part of a small collection from David himself who was then hospitalized at the same Time as Ali. What is fascinating (to me) about the autograph is that it was signed four months prior to his LAST fight , a loss to Trevor Berbick in Nassau in the Bahamas. After I bought the item I checked the date and confirmed that Ali had indeed been a patient at the hospital on that date. But Why ? It had long been rumored that the former champ entered the ring against Berbick already aware that he had Parkinson's Disease and this item appears to confirm it. In fact the date the item was signed appears to be the FIRST time doctors examined Ali suspecting this condition, after noticing slurred speech and other possible "signs" of early stage Parkinson's. His last fight prior had been against Larry Holmes at Las Vegas in which he took a merciless pummeling. Would also explain why his last fight was not in the USA as after having been treated in August he would have been unable to obtain a license to fight Berbick here. So the venue became Nassau. It wasn't till AFTER his fight with Berbick that his condition worsened and his disease was confirmed to the public. Anyone have any thoughts or insight into this ? Much appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AliUCLA.jpg (84.0 KB, 126 views)
Old 05-25-2012, 12:39 PM

Interesting. Though as an professional athlete he could have been in the hospital for a variety of reasons.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 PM

Default JimStinson

Thats what I thought too until I read this

"In August 1981, he was hospitalized again at UCLA where people first began to notice slurred speech. Ali was examined by a neurologist who found minor imbalance when he walked quickly but the rest of the examination was normal"
Old 05-25-2012, 01:36 PM

There you go. Interesting.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:44 AM

Default JimStinson

Also found this shocking ! These were tests conducted when he came out of "retirement" to fight Larry Holmes, his next to last fight and PRIOR to the date on the Hospital letterhead.

When Ali officially announced his comeback a MAYO clinic physical was organized and a boxing license would only be granted if he passed. The tests included basic reflex analysis and challenged his hand eye co-ordination. Arguably the quickest and most skillful heavyweight in history being subjected to such tests might seem redundant but the results were shocking. Ali had difficulty touching the tip of his nose from distance, occasionally slurred his speech and did not “hop with the agility that was expected”. Considering he would be swapping punches with the number one heavyweight on the planet you could compare that to him failing his times tables prior to sitting a test on plutonium physics. Ali, unbelievably, was cleared to fight, however these test results only confirmed that he could live a normal life, not that he was ready to participate in world championship boxing.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Not that amazing if you review the documentary films of Ali training for Holmes. It was obvious from the training footage that he was not right, esp. the footage of him speaking with fans and visitors to the camp. What is amazing to me is that no one who supposedly cared about him stopped him from going forward.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Default JimStinson

He was being paid 8 Million dollars & Don King was promoting the fight. Nuff Said.
Ali had not won a single round on any of the judges scorecards, Even Larry Holmes kept looking at the referee as if to say "When are you going to stop this ?"
The question is why didn't Angelo Dundee his trainer & corner man stop the slaughter early instead of waiting until the end of the 10th round.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Dave

Still happens today. For every Bernard Hopkins, who seems like a medical marvel............there are 20 Evander Holyfields. Guys who should have been ushered out of the sport years ago.

Ultimately it comes down to a personal choice. Whether they have the cognitive abilities to make that choice, is another matter entirely.

If the guy is marketable, there will always be somewhere in the world they can find to approve another fight for them.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Banned

if they made it winner take all they wouldnt do it. Ali might have still fought a couple fights he shouldn't have because he believed he could win, but the last two he wouldn't have went out there if it wasn't the guaranteed money.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-26-2012 at 12:01 PM.