NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Mikeknapp

Default Help selling a collection

Today I was asked to evaluate a collection of autographs. I explained that I was unqualified to do so. The owner said he trusted me and would like me to sell his collection. He said the signatures were obtained in person or TTM. None have been slabbed or sent to JSA PSA or any other such 3rd party. Most of the collection is organized by player in an album consisting of 50 pages there are over 100 autographs in the collection. The pieces have all been glued to black paper with a single drop of glue. I have scanned 10 of the pages to give you an idea what the collection looks like. My question is should this collection be sold as is, by page, or by player? Should the autographs be removed and sold individually? All of the prewar cards are reprints, the Topps and Fleer cards are originals. To help me gauge the value of the collection what do you think these 10 pages would realistically sell for? I want the owner to get the most possible he is giving me Greeberg, Combs, Hooper, and Haffey autographs as a commission. Thanks for any help or advice you may have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koufax.jpg (72.2 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg mult.jpg (72.7 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg combs.jpg (72.0 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg faber.jpg (70.8 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg goslin.jpg (72.9 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg haines.jpg (71.0 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg hubbard.jpg (73.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg marquard.jpg (70.9 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg medwick.jpg (73.8 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg ruffing.jpg (71.1 KB, 244 views)
Old 01-26-2013, 10:20 PM
J Stone

If you want to maximize value I'd suggest submitting them to PSA/DNA when the run a $10 special (maybe it's $15 now).

For whatever reason, people will pay 5x more for these autographs when they are encased in PSA/DNA plastic.

Some of them may not pass, though. I think at least two of the Koufax may be ghost signed, and Goslin, Combs, Faber, and Ruffing all had their wives signing for them after illnesses and strokes. Others on this board will know if these are good or not. The Goslin looks exactly like one I had denied by PSA.

PS. Make sure you get a "good" Combs.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
If you want to maximize value I'd suggest submitting them to PSA/DNA when the run a $10 special (maybe it's $15 now).

For whatever reason, people will pay 5x more for these autographs when they are encased in PSA/DNA plastic.

Some of them may not pass, though. I think at least two of the Koufax may be ghost signed, and Goslin, Combs, Faber, and Ruffing all had their wives signing for them after illnesses and strokes. Others on this board will know if these are good or not. The Goslin looks exactly like one I had denied by PSA.

Thanks for the insight. I know little of the autograph end of the hobby and as the collection is not my own I cannot vouch for the authenticity of the signatures. I hoped to avoid dealing with PSADNA but I don't want to sell an item that may be ghost signed. This is why I typically avoid such transactions. If others concur with your assessment I may just back away and return them to the owner so he may decide how to proceed. Ironically, this note pertaining to the stroke written by Comb's wife is in the collection as well.

Thanks again
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg combs_wife_note.jpg (74.0 KB, 214 views)
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

The Combs and Red Fabers look like they were ghost signed by the wifes.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post

thats not true, you are just wasting your money sending them in to psa or jsa, there are plenty of collectors looking for those signatures who know a good signature when they see one, they dont need psa. why start off in the hole? you can get the same price unauthenticated as you can authenticated.

if i needed a greenberg sig, i would know its real by looking at it and my bid price would be the same authenticated or not. if you want to spend hard earned money sending it in to psa to get the same bid from me, then what a waste. one of the biggest myths in the hobby is the myth that you must send it in to psa or jsa to get the highest price. its untrue. psa and jsa want you to believe that, that is why they started and continue to perpetuate that rumor.

I sold an unauthenticated Rocky Marciano cut autograph for 400, that is what they sell for. authenticated ones sold for 400. only someone had paid 75 plus shipping to authenticate it, so at best they only realized 325 for theirs, I got the full 400 for mine unauthenticated.

i helped sell a few alejandro lavorante boxing autographs, some of the rarest around, and a high retail might be 1500 dollars, a real stretch, the seller wouldnt sell at that price, wanted a lot more, and they sold for 2250-2550 apiece, with NO psa or jsa. if they would have had psa or jsa, they would NOT have sold for more, (probably less), ha! Not that psa or jsa know what one would actually look like anyway?

So don't fall for that old saw that you need psa or jsa. And I practice what I preach and sell them without psa or jsa, and will do again on ebay soon. I am not worried I will get less for them. I will probably get more.

The other rumor and big lie is that the forgers are constantly trolling these boards looking for tips to help out their forgeries, so people shouldnt talk about specifics of any autographs, because the forgers are watching the boards. That's ridiculous too. so remember these two myths and just sell them unauthenticated and don't worry about spending upfront money on something that would be a waste.

Last edited by travrosty; 01-27-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Today I was asked to evaluate a collection of autographs. I explained that I was unqualified to do so. The owner said he trusted me and would like me to sell his collection. He said the signatures were obtained in person or TTM. None have been slabbed or sent to JSA PSA or any other such 3rd party. Most of the collection is organized by player in an album consisting of 50 pages there are over 100 autographs in the collection. The pieces have all been glued to black paper with a single drop of glue. I have scanned 10 of the pages to give you an idea what the collection looks like. My question is should this collection be sold as is, by page, or by player? Should the autographs be removed and sold individually? All of the prewar cards are reprints, the Topps and Fleer cards are originals. To help me gauge the value of the collection what do you think these 10 pages would realistically sell for? I want the owner to get the most possible he is giving me Greeberg, Combs, Hooper, and Haffey autographs as a commission. Thanks for any help or advice you may have.
Hi Mike,
The exhibit card of Sandy Koufax is very suspect and I do not believe it is real, FWIW. All of your Rube Marquard's and Jesse Haines sigs look perfect. Others I will not comment on because I'm not that familiar with their sigs.

If it were me, I would sell them individually on eBay. I don't love PSA DNA or JSA, so that is my personal bias. If $10-$15 was all I had to spend to get the higher end sigs authenticated, I might do it. Koufax's signature is worth $70- $125 for an authentic one on a 3 x 5 or an inexpensive card. Definately not worth spending for guys like Marquard or Haines. Their value is perhaps $25- $40 at best. Any collector worth their salt will know that these sigs are real, without needing PSA DNA or JSA.

Tell your friend best of luck no matter how he decides to sell his collection.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Richard Simon

Combs and Faber are definitely not authentic. Perhaps though, considering the letter, his wife had him attempt to sign some. There are a couple there that don't resemble her ghosted signature at all.
Selling these on ebay won't be easy. Everything in this group is common and there will be multiple offers of these autographs on ebay.
Good luck with them, it will be tough going.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-27-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 AM

Were these acquired over a long period of time from each player through multiple requests? It looks like there is some good and bad mixed together.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmh71 View Post
Were these acquired over a long period of time from each player through multiple requests? It looks like there is some good and bad mixed together.
He put the collection together TTM in the mid to late 70s and show signings in the 1980s
Old 01-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Mikeknapp

I have receieved a few IMs regarding this collection. For those who may be intereted the remainder of this collection can now be viewed at http://www.net54baseball.com/album.php?albumid=432

Last edited by 71buc; 01-28-2013 at 10:09 PM.