NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2021, 04:53 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Worch Cigar sets information sought

hi all,

Many of you may remember that I've been gathering information pretty intensively on these sets for several years. Lyman Hardeman recently convinced me, as only Lyman can do, that it was time to do an article for Old Cardboard

While I have gathered a lot of good info myself, I'm sure the article will be better if we do some crowdsourcing and collaborating. So I'm writing to invite you to post (or send along by email, as you prefer) anything you think is of interest - about the cards, the company, the method of distribution, accessory materials (like envelopes), etc. My email is apspr@att.net

I am particularly interested in getting the Worch checklists as complete as possible. With that mind, if you want to contribute, please check out my compilation of scans at

https://imageevent.com/apspr/basebal...worchcigarsets

Three groupings, one for each set, should be accessible to you through the link. If not, please let me know.

As you'll see, I have compiled scans of every Worch player and variation that I've found. So far I have about 113 scans of the 1933-35 American Association set and about 142 of the 1933-34 Major Leaguers (plus the 24 Minneapolis players from 1932).

These groupings of scans include a bunch of variations and a few players that were not checklisted previously. But there are also players on previous checklists that I haven't confirmed and don't have scans of. If you'd like to help, you could check your Worches against the Imageevent collections and send me scans of any that aren't included. Look especially for the way the "nameplates" are placed in the photos, as many many variations were generated in that area.

There is one extensive long-lived thread on Worches that goes back to 2013! You might want to look through this thread before you post, as it contains a lot of good info.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ht=worch+cigar

I'll be in touch again later with specific questions for you. For now, please post anything you'd like to about the set in this thread.

Happy collecting,
Tim Newcomb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornsby.jpg (74.1 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg dean.jpg (76.0 KB, 422 views)

Last edited by timn1; 09-05-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:51 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Good luck Tim, look forward to the article.

I don't have anything to add. I posted my Babe Ganzel with envelope in the old 2013 thread. I took interest in Babe, the son of Charlie Ganzel (Detroit Wolverine catcher) but never grew the collection although I think the Worch Cigar set is very interesting.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 09-06-2021, 01:14 PM

Enjoy the continued research Tim, and will look for the future article. Although I will likely never have a Worch Cigar card (I pretty much limited my collecting to smaller sized fare just so I wouldn't go batty), it is always interesting to learn about a less common and apparently fairly complex set whose secrets are finally being exposed, thanks to dedicated folks like yourself along with the input of fellow collectors.

I like how some of the photos in the set were used to produce other cards (for example the Paul Richards to create his classic 1933 Goudey, and the Al Simmons that is also seen in the W574 set.

Good luck, and chime in if you can to help out in this noble knowledge quest.

Brian
Old 09-06-2021, 01:20 PM
octavio ranzola

I’m looking for a type card looking forward to article thx
Old 09-09-2021, 04:13 PM
Ron Rice

Default Worch Cigars

Thought this thread needs some momentum... Interesting that they were from Minnesota. I remember seeing quite a few Minnesota minor leaguers in this set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worch1.jpg (50.3 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg Worch2.jpg (58.2 KB, 302 views)
Old 09-10-2021, 06:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Bancroft

I don't have much to add but I like the cards..

Last edited by Leon; 09-10-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2023, 03:21 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Worch Cigar

Bringing this old thread back to life.

Don't know much about them so I started to do research and found this.

I just picked up a '33-'35 of Hopkins that will be looking for a new home since I don't collect them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St. Paul News.jpg (117.5 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by whiteymet; 10-25-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:46 AM
Glenn Renick

Default Worch in ACC

Does anyone know if Burdick ever assigned an American Card Catalog number to the Worch sets?

Last edited by GRenick; 02-05-2024 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2024, 08:56 AM

Tim,

Good luck. I am looking forward to the article. Do you believe Worch Cigars are in any way related to Wheaties Premiums? Either in printing/distribution?

Thanks