NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-24-2012, 08:13 AM
$cotty @.utin

Default Question on 1859 Harper's Weekly

Hi all,
I was curious if you could help me with this 1859 Harper's Weekly featuring the cricket match and baseball match at Elysian Fields. I searched the archives here on the forum and all I found was black and white versions. This version woodcut has some beautiful color to it.

Any idea to value?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Barry Sloate

It's not unusual to find these hand colored. Color was added to them after they were issued. They are worth roughly the same as the black and white ones; some collectors actually preferred them colored, others want them in their original state. I'll let someone else chime in about their value.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM

The thing about the added color is that it is very difficult to know when it was added. Theoretically, if the color was added close to the time of issuing, and done well, that would be okay; but for me, if the hand-coloring was added significantly later, that would hurt the value of the item.

I agree with Barry. Some people prefer them with hand-color, some do not. Some people also prefer the prints to be part of a full, intact issue of Harper's, while others only want the sheet with the print so that they can display it more easily.

Harper's prints are pretty common, and yours does not look to be in great shape--from a quick look, I see staining and tears along the perimeter. To me, it would be worth anywhere from $30 to $70. If you check eBay regularly, these are the type of prices you will see. But here are a couple of decent comparable sales outside of eBay for you:

http://www.auctionscc.com/archive/20...century/421/#a

http://www.rarenewspapers.com/view/1...rection%3Ddesc (this newspaper dealer has one for $125 and one in lesser condition for $64).

I have no idea what happened here, and would not consider this a viable comparative sale: http://monthly.scpauctions.com/LotDe...px?lotid=16741

It is a great image, as are many of the wood engravings from Harper's and Leslie's, but it is not worth a lot of money.

Hope this helps,
Charles

Last edited by Old Hoss; 05-24-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Yes, people in the olden days sometimes liked to color their Harper's Woodcuts, though these colors were likely added years after the print was made.

If it's well done, it adds a little value to it. It's in the eyes of the buyer. I'm sure some buyer will pay more just due to the eye appeal.

Last edited by drc; 05-24-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:00 PM
George

I would estimate ~$75 even though it's the first Harper's weekly publication depicting a baseball woodcut and definitely one of the more striking images. Some will argue that the entire publication is more valuable than just the single sheet and there have been a few threads on this very topic. My view is that it really depends on the collector. The same thing can be said about 'color' vs 'black and white.' I have a mix of woodcuts that are hand-colored and black and white and enjoy both of them equally. So it comes down to personal preference. Regardless, it's a beautiful piece and the coloring on it is great! If you keep it, you may want to frame it or just get it matted to focus on the center image and avoid looking at some of the tears and staining. If you do have the full publication, you have probably already found that it includes another neat woodcut, The English Cricketeers.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Barry Sloate

I was thinking at least $100, because it is the first baseball engraving issued by Harper's and the cricket match is attached too. But $75-100 seems like a fair range for it.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:16 PM
$cotty @.utin

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. The seller seems to be a little high so I'm going to back off. Thanks!

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 05-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Doug Goodman

Keep your eyes open, they are frequently listed on ebay.

Doug