NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-12-2019, 08:53 PM
Bill Walker

Default Bob Lemke

I was sad to find out through here that Bob had passed away in 2017. I didn't know him personally, but did have the chance to correspond with him a couple times over email regarding our joy of making "custom" baseball cards several years back.

But to celebrate Bob, I work for a minor lg team and we had Denny McLain out to our ballpark for the 2nd time in the past 4 years, so I had the chance to sit and talk with him for a while and decided to print off one of Bob's cards he made in 2011 to hold in a photo taken with Denny.

Posting just to celebrate Bob Lemke and how seeing his cards inspired me to create many for fun and a few for my job working in baseball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mclain_lemke1967topps.jpg (75.2 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by CharlotteBaseball; 07-12-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Bill Walker

By the way, Denny was thrilled to see the card I had printed out on cardstock so I gave it to him to keep.

I create our team's game programs and use "custom" cards to incorporate into a regular player profile we do each program.
I get our PR team to write an article and I dress it up to look like an old baseball card... and I make sure each article is a diff style card.
I even tackled creating a realistic Sportflics layout and mockup a few weeks ago, lol.

samples:

Last edited by CharlotteBaseball; 07-12-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteBaseball View Post
I was sad to find out through here that Bob had passed away in 2017. I didn't know him personally, but did have the chance to correspond with him a couple times over email regarding our joy of making "custom" baseball cards several years back.

But to celebrate Bob, I work for a minor lg team and we had Denny McLain out to our ballpark for the 2nd time in the past 4 years, so I had the chance to sit and talk with him for a while and decided to print off one of Bob's cards he made in 2011 to hold in a photo taken with Denny.

Posting just to celebrate Bob Lemke and how seeing his cards inspired me to create many for fun and a few for my job working in baseball.
Great story and thank you for sharing. I knew Bob in exactly the same way. We discussed custom cards a few times and he helped me with materials he used.

I have that exact same card except I put is in a old PSA slab with a custom label.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:46 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

cool posts....didnt know connor had a brother playing pro as well

creating baseball cards and working in baseball...what a life
Old 07-13-2019, 12:55 PM
Bill Walker

the lenticular Sportsflics style...

Last edited by CharlotteBaseball; 07-13-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:57 AM
Sean Sullivan

Default Awesome story

Bob used to email me help when I couldn't figure a particular variation card, etc. Superb guy.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:46 AM

I was just looking at his blog last night, and was wondering why he had stopped posting

I got into custom cards from seeing his blog years ago, i have hundreds that i have made but never figured out the right materials to print them out on.

RIP Bob
Old 07-27-2019, 12:20 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJACards View Post
I was just looking at his blog last night, and was wondering why he had stopped posting

I got into custom cards from seeing his blog years ago, i have hundreds that i have made but never figured out the right materials to print them out on.

RIP Bob
Bob helped me on materials for the fronts of 50s-70s cards. Then soon afterwards the company quit making it.

The materials differ quite a bit depending on the era you are trying to recreate. Try to find a hobby/print supply store that will sell single sheets and try stuff till you find something you like.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Bob helped me on materials for the fronts of 50s-70s cards. Then soon afterwards the company quit making it.

The materials differ quite a bit depending on the era you are trying to recreate. Try to find a hobby/print supply store that will sell single sheets and try stuff till you find something you like.
Nice, i found a ton of info in the OOTP forums on uniforms and oddball photos as well as fonts, always loved his cards though.

Recently I was working on random Pioneers and Negro League players in modern topps designs
Old 07-27-2019, 01:32 PM

some recent random cards, I hardly ever do cardbacks. I dont use photoshop I assume if I did they would look better lol.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:52 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJACards View Post
some recent random cards, I hardly ever do cardbacks. I dont use photoshop I assume if I did they would look better lol.

Those are nice. I don't use Photoshop either, just what came free on my computer(mainly Paint). I am too cheap to by Photoshop.

I have a old Postcard back I put on most of my custom stuff.