NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-02-2021, 07:04 PM
Mike P.ap

Default NY Yankee Pennant help please....

Any thoughts on what year this might be and also, does anyone know if the red bamboo cane is something that the pennant was sold with originally. It certainly looks vintage and the pennant owner told me that the pennant has been on the bamboo pole for as long as he can remember. Thanks for your thoughts!

Peace, Mike

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg
Old 03-02-2021, 08:27 PM

Sweet pennant! I have little doubt that cane was indeed purchased with the pennant--most likely, from some kid vendor outside Yankee Stadium. Those canes (sometimes dowels) were commonly sold with pennants, along with pinbacks, celluloid figures, etc.

In terms of its vintage, I would say ca. 1950. Unfortunately, the Yanks won plenty of AL pennants in the 1930s, 40s, 50s, pretty much every decade--right? So, many pennant makers stopped putting the year on their pennants so they could sell any unsold stock in future years. Here, however, I believe this pennant was made by Trench Mfg. Co. of Buffalo, NY; and, if so, it resembles those of their issue from that time frame: late 1940s, early 1950s.

Having said that, I'll let the Yankee collectors chime in as they may have a better sense of what specific championship this might have commemorated.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Exactly how I would've responded. Cane is original to the pennant and pennant is circa late '40s - early '50s.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:24 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I agree with what Kyle said. Early 50’s. There were many different versions of this same pennant. I also agree the cane came with it. I have a few myself in my collection. I think they’re a neat add on for pennants. Most were just straight wooden dowels and not a rounded cane. Very nice pennant.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:41 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Yankees pennants

Here are a couple of different variations from that same time frame. The one photo that shows the small photo on the pennant, I have dated 1951. The photo must have been dated or something.

The other group are some of my different variations including some very tough piping.

This style of Yankee Stadium is early 50's to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yankees pennants.jpg (57.4 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 1951 Yankees pennant.jpg (77.0 KB, 170 views)
Old 03-04-2021, 05:48 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Sweet pennant! I have little doubt that cane was indeed purchased with the pennant--most likely, from some kid vendor outside Yankee Stadium. Those canes (sometimes dowels) were commonly sold with pennants, along with pinbacks, celluloid figures, etc.

In terms of its vintage, I would say ca. 1950. Unfortunately, the Yanks won plenty of AL pennants in the 1930s, 40s, 50s, pretty much every decade--right? So, many pennant makers stopped putting the year on their pennants so they could sell any unsold stock in future years. Here, however, I believe this pennant was made by Trench Mfg. Co. of Buffalo, NY; and, if so, it resembles those of their issue from that time frame: late 1940s, early 1950s.

Having said that, I'll let the Yankee collectors chime in as they may have a better sense of what specific championship this might have commemorated.
I’m on the fence about this being Trench. Maybe 60% certain. The style and artwork seems very, very different from what we know to be Trench from this time. Kyle, you might have more evidence, I don’t know, I think the Yankees pennant is from the same company as these pictured here. (I brought this up a couple weeks ago on the pennant thread.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EA7ED3B9-957D-4818-9F1D-84632DA96E92.jpg (20.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 03-04-2021, 04:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I'm only at 35/65 on that one being trench. No concrete evidence... it just does not have that classic Trench look.
Old 03-06-2021, 12:55 PM

I'm pretty sure this pennant came from Trench; and I'm 100% certain the other two you flagged, Greg, are also by Trench. Specifically, that artwork depicting Ebbets Field's facade was used by Trench throughout the 1940s and 50s; and the one featuring the faux fish-tail + fringed spine were a unique feature Trench briefly explored in 1955.

Back to the Yankees pennant. Just look at the artwork. Everything about it, down to the coloring, resembles Trench's stadium pennants from the 1950s. ADFLAG would never have used that many colors at that time; nor would WGN. Definitely not a Keezer.

Also, it appears all of these pennants under discussion measure about 26" in length and have tassels ... and that was pretty much Trench's signature in the late 1940s, early 1950s, when we all agree these pennants were made.

Last edited by Domer05; 03-06-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:27 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who posted here! I appreciate the help!

Peace,
Mike