NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-07-2020, 09:50 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Topps Experts needed Can anyone confirm this was issued in the 1960 Topps set?

The title says it all. Please see the below paper "card". Can anyone verify this was specifically inserted into the 1960 Topps packs and not say 1959 or 1961 etc.? Or were they rather inserted in say Bazooka boxes with the cards on the back of the box? Any info appreciated!

This is similar to the Hot Iron Transfer insert and the Elect your Favorite Rookie insert. I believe both of these are from 1960. If I am incorrect please advise. Again, were these in the packs or issued elsewhere?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Topps Album card.jpg (69.6 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg Topps album card 2.jpg (70.2 KB, 472 views)
Old 11-08-2020, 03:01 AM

I am not an expert... but I would say NO to it being a legit Topps item. I don’t like the registration around the guys hair, the circle and the drawing of the hand.Looks sloppy. Topps had some talented artist working for them.
I have been collective for a long time and have never seen the card or the album they are selling. This is just my opinion. If it was issued by Topps I think we would have know about this card by now.
Scott
Old 11-08-2020, 03:15 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Scott

FWIW I have the album

Fred
Old 11-08-2020, 03:42 AM

Well that’s worth a lot. Didn’t know the album existed! Love to see it if you can post it that would be great.

I did find an image on the internet of the bazooka/ Bloney gum image that was used elsewhere. I don’t know how to post pictures from my phone. If you send me your email I can forward the pix to you.
I am hoping that it’s a new discover ! Does the card stock feel period correct?

I “discovered” a Topps item that is definitely legit last year. It’s a 1965 boxtopper advertisement for the transfers inserted into packs. Pretty neat piece that includes Koufax, Mantle and Boyer. Hope we find the answer for you about it’s origins
Scott
Old 11-08-2020, 03:46 AM

Also... the line “ keep your cards in Perfect condition “ just seems a little off to me for the year 1960. No one was really worrying about condition.... call me crazy but I think “ a great way to organize your cards” may be more 1960s Topps
Old 11-08-2020, 05:10 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Looks real to me; has the same tear in the side edge as the other ones. I don't think they were pack issued, rather off a peel-off tablet used at the store. If it's got the same wax paper feel, looks good to me.

I thought the Rookie All-Stars were released at the end of 1959, since the 1959 Rookies were featured in the 1960 subset. McCovey won the 1959 ROY with 13 HR in only 52 games.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:29 AM
Albert Bee

Default 60 item

I think that's he way hair looked in the 1960, the hands...eeh
Old 11-08-2020, 05:47 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

To me, it looks like it was in Bazooka boxes (do not send baseball wrappers)

Also October 1 is a weird expiration date with the season still in progress. Maybe issued in 1959 then.

Last edited by Jim65; 11-08-2020 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:08 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I've never seen this one but that doesn't mean much with these things; if there's no specific sports connection they don't appear in most guides (if any, actually) and they are quite fragile. Of course, they were prone to being thrown out.

I would need to see one in person but as noted above the production rip is correct so unless someone just Photoshopped some graphics it's likely real, there's certainly other paper inserts like this in the 1959-61 range. I can't prove it but lean toward them being more in one cent packs vs the nickels when they are made of paper. Baseball packs for this issue I'd say (obvious, right?)

The albums were offered for years, the interior pages were akin to black construction paper, some had slits to insert the cards and some didn't.

Last edited by toppcat; 11-08-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:30 AM
Al Richter

I keep mine with my 1960 set, but the reason I thought that appropriate is lost in time

Old 11-08-2020, 09:24 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post

I “discovered” a Topps item that is definitely legit last year. It’s a 1965 boxtopper advertisement for the transfers inserted into packs. Pretty neat piece that includes Koufax, Mantle and Boyer. Hope we find the answer for you about it’s origins
Scott
Scott, I would very much like to see sscans or your description of the 1965 Box Topper, not sure I've seen this (possibly I have). New, weird Topps stuff keeps popping up!
Old 11-08-2020, 09:40 AM

While looking at the albums on WorthPoint I ran across a couple of 1960 Topps Baseball wrappers that have an ad for the album printed on them. ETA, I'm going to guess that the ad card was an insert in at least one series and maybe more of 1960 Topps Baseball packs that didn't have the ad on the wrapper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60 wrapper.jpg (67.4 KB, 406 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 11-08-2020 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-08-2020, 12:02 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
I am not an expert... but I would say NO to it being a legit Topps item. I don’t like the registration around the guys hair, the circle and the drawing of the hand.Looks sloppy. Topps had some talented artist working for them.
I have been collective for a long time and have never seen the card or the album they are selling. This is just my opinion. If it was issued by Topps I think we would have know about this card by now.
Scott
Here are photos of my album. The cover varies from what is shown on the insert I originally asked about as there is a Topps Shield at the top left and box at the bottom with the word Series and a line for the owner to ID what cards are in the album.

I am leaning to think this album is for the 1960 set as the pages are designed to hold horizontal cards as is evidenced by the slits to insert the corners of the cards based on how the cover opens. Saying that however flies in the face of copy written on the inside of the front cover that says you can indicate the series on the cover for example Football, Aviation, or Baseball etc. Cards could be inserted vertically but you would have to turn the album

Another interesting thing is the notation on the bottom left of the inside front cover that says Distributed in Canada by O-PEE-CHEE CO.. LTD, London Ontario. Then bottom right corner says Made and Printed in the U.S.A. So is this a Canadian album or do all of them have this notation? Anyone else have one of these albums to compare?

Finally, on the inside of the back cover is a checklist page for the collector to list the cards in the album and check off what cards he has or is missing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0401.jpg (68.9 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0402.jpg (65.9 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0395.jpg (71.2 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0397.jpg (88.2 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0396.jpg (75.2 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0398.jpg (85.4 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0399.jpg (74.1 KB, 383 views)
Old 11-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I've never seen this one but that doesn't mean much with these things; if there's no specific sports connection they don't appear in most guides (if any, actually) and they are quite fragile. Of course, they were prone to being thrown out.

I would need to see one in person but as noted above the production rip is correct so unless someone just Photoshopped some graphics it's likely real, there's certainly other paper inserts like this in the 1959-61 range. I can't prove it but lean toward them being more in one cent packs vs the nickels when they are made of paper. Baseball packs for this issue I'd say (obvious, right?)

The albums were offered for years, the interior pages were akin to black construction paper, some had slits to insert the cards and some didn't.
Dave:

You say the albums were offered for years.... do you know the FIRST year they were offered.?
Old 11-08-2020, 12:08 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I keep mine with my 1960 set, but the reason I thought that appropriate is lost in time

Al:

Thanks for posting! I will accept the insert as being from 1960 since you grouped yours that way, even if you don't recall why. I'll trust your judgement at the time.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:17 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
While looking at the albums on WorthPoint I ran across a couple of 1960 Topps Baseball wrappers that have an ad for the album printed on them. ETA, I'm going to guess that the ad card was an insert in at least one series and maybe more of 1960 Topps Baseball packs that didn't have the ad on the wrapper.
Cliff:

Thanks for posting the photo of the wrapper showing the album was available to order in 1960! Strange you had to use Bazooka or Blony wrappers for redemption and not Topps wrappers!

I have another wrapper showing the Hot Iron Transfer like the insert shown in Al's post above.

I know there are wrapper collectors on here who know all about the different 1960 Topps baseball wrappers. Hopefully they will check in and show other wrappers with the different offers.

Anyone else have the Album insert or elect the Topps Rookies insert? I am looking for both to add to my collection
Old 11-08-2020, 06:44 PM
R!CK LYON$

I have the same album and on the checklist page the owner started to write the 60 set on it. I know Larry Tipton has the planes ones which does suggest offered over a few years.
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98EEA443-EF97-493D-8C3E-31E2D1FA2824.jpg (19.4 KB, 343 views)
Old 11-08-2020, 06:57 PM
R!CK LYON$

And yes it says the same thing distributed in Canada and printed in USA .
Rick
Old 11-08-2020, 08:47 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Scott

FWIW I have the album

Fred
I have one also
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-09-2020, 09:49 AM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Here are photos of my album. The cover varies from what is shown on the insert I originally asked about as there is a Topps Shield at the top left and box at the bottom with the word Series and a line for the owner to ID what cards are in the album.

I am leaning to think this album is for the 1960 set as the pages are designed to hold horizontal cards as is evidenced by the slits to insert the corners of the cards based on how the cover opens. Saying that however flies in the face of copy written on the inside of the front cover that says you can indicate the series on the cover for example Football, Aviation, or Baseball etc. Cards could be inserted vertically but you would have to turn the album

Another interesting thing is the notation on the bottom left of the inside front cover that says Distributed in Canada by O-PEE-CHEE CO.. LTD, London Ontario. Then bottom right corner says Made and Printed in the U.S.A. So is this a Canadian album or do all of them have this notation? Anyone else have one of these albums to compare?

Finally, on the inside of the back cover is a checklist page for the collector to list the cards in the album and check off what cards he has or is missing.
Wow that's great. I've never seen one of the Topps albums. I'm building a 1960T set and I've just added a Topps album and inserts to the list.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Al Richter

Don't forget to look for some of the actual Hot Iron Transfers mentioned in the insert. Have found 4 so far. Pretty fragile
Old 11-09-2020, 10:34 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I blogged about the album ten years (!) ago. Mine has black paper, the one above does not and I'm not sure it can help with dating. Here's the link, it offers some dating bookends. I should probably update it if enough new info can be developed:

http://www.thetoppsarchives.com/2010/09/album-art.html
Old 11-12-2020, 02:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

What do the transfers look like?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-12-2020, 03:02 PM

Default Albums

I have purchased collections atleast four times that contained these Topps albums. The album and cards were purchased by the guy I was buying the collections from in the late 50's and early 60's. In each instance 1960 Topps were placed in the album. The lone exception is that one album had a 1960 Leaf set in it.

That leads me to believe as a kid the people I bought the collections from placed them in the albums the year they acquired them.

Not to say they were not distributed in other years but that is my first hand experience with the albums.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
What do the transfers look like?
Adam:

You can see some here on Dave's blog when you scroll down

https://www.thetoppsarchives.com/search?q=1960+Iron+on

Fred
Old 11-14-2020, 06:16 AM
Bob F.

The expiration date for my Hot Iron Transfers card is September 1, 1960, so an October date is quite reasonable.

Last edited by bobsbbcards; 11-14-2020 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:03 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Without checking my references, I'm thinking these first popped up with 1960 Hockey in Canada. I believe Topps didn't start selling cards until New Years in 1960 (59-60 set). Going on memory though.

Woody Gelman's Card Collectors Co. sold these (or something like these) for a bit in the mid to late 60's. They had some with and some without the slits. Likely overstock if so.

Last edited by toppcat; 11-14-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:44 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default 59/60 Topps paper inserts Elect your favorite rookie inserts

Hi Guys:

Have been doing some research on the 1960 Topps paper inserts and just found out how to tell the difference between the 1959 and 1960 Elect Your Favorite Rookie inserts. Don't know if this is well known but it was new to me so I figured I would share it here

As you will see below, first on the front of the 59 insert at the top left in the black oval the words YOUNG Baseball Fans while on the 1960 version are the words TOPPS Baseball Fans

Looking at the back of the inserts there are many differences. The most glaring to me is at the bottom where the 59 notes the announcement will be made on an NBC TV World Series Special. While on the 60 version it notes Winning rookies will be announced in newspapers, radio and TV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 elect rookie.jpg (78.9 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 60 T Elect rookie 1.jpg (78.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 60 T Elect Rookie 2.jpg (78.2 KB, 95 views)