NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-12-2020, 05:41 PM
Benjamin

Default Astrodome Rookie Card

Featuring Houston’s Astrodome, this card is from a set of twenty-four issued by Van Den Bergh in 1965. It is somewhat the Astrodome’s rookie card, the stadium having opened the same year. This is the only baseball type in the set which otherwise features modern marvels like the Sydney Opera House and Cousteau’s underwater sea-base. The card back advertises “Milkana Mild” from Van Den Bergh's of London.

Milkana was a spreadable cheese, produced by a Bavarian company called Edelweiss, available only to the German market in the 1950s. Unilever acquired Edelweiss in 1962 and made Milkana cheese available to the British market under its Dutch subsidiary, Van Den Bergh. Today, Milkana is sold nearly everywhere except in North America.

I have had this card for a while but recently I began to wonder who the featured player might be. Assuming that the artist took inspiration from an actual image, I’ve concluded that the batter is either Jim Wynn or Roman Mejias.

My reasoning? The image depicts a right handed African American or dark skinned Latino player. From inception through 1965 (when the card was produced), there were a handful of black Colts/Astros players, but only two of them batted righty: Wynn and Mejias.

Then again, it’s possible that the artist was inspired by pictures of any number of non-Colts/Astros players.

Personally, I like to think it’s The Toy Cannon himself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Milkana 1.jpg (76.7 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg Milkana 2.JPG (70.9 KB, 168 views)

1910 T210-3 - Burch, Merritt, Norten, Wickenhorf
1915 Cracker Jack - Branch Rickey
1939 African Tobacco - Babe Ruth (Large)

Last edited by Elgringo; 11-13-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:52 AM

Default Astrodome memories

Thanks for your post. It brought some childhood memories flooding back.

I started collecting baseball cards in 1965 when I was nine years old and living in Corpus Christi, Tx. My stimuli for doing so were two-fold; I was getting an allowance for mowing the lawn so I could afford the nickel packs, but more importantly, my step-dad decided to take me to my first professional baseball games, an exhibition series that pitted the Yankees-Astros (3 games) and the Orioles-Astros (2 games). These series were staged April 9 to April 11, 1965 and represented the debut of the newly constructed Astrodome.

We made the three-hour trek from Corpus to Houston on Friday afternoon. As we neared Houston, I saw traffic as dense as I had ever witnessed. I recall being quite nervous, fervently hoping that we wouldn’t be late to the game. Irrespective of whether my recollections are due to my memory being faulty, or those feeling of anxiousness were due to the anticipation of seeing my first game, the drive seemed interminable.

But we made it and witnessed Game 1 on Friday night (Yankees-Astros) and Game 2 on Saturday afternoon (Orioles-Astros) before heading home. Our seats were in the bleachers, but to an impressionable boy, it didn’t matter. The size of the crowd, the excitement in the air, and the overall size of the Astrodome were wondrous. Although the Yankees lost the game (in 12 innings), seeing my childhood idol (Mantle) get the first hit (single in 1st inning) and the first home run (6th inning) in the Astrodome were surreal bonuses.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:22 PM
Benjamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevvyg1026 View Post
...seeing my childhood idol (Mantle) get the first hit (single in 1st inning) and the first home run (6th inning) in the Astrodome were surreal bonuses.
My dad was at that game too. He was also nine at the time. His parents (who had no interest in baseball) dropped him off in the parking lot and picked him up afterwards. A different time for sure.

Many years later, after an Oilers game, I spent what seemed like hours sitting on my dad’s shoulders scanning the ocean of parked cars for our station wagon. If you forgot to note where you had parked at the Astrodome, you had zero chance of finding your car until the masses dispersed.

Thanks for sharing your Astrodome memories.

1910 T210-3 - Burch, Merritt, Norten, Wickenhorf
1915 Cracker Jack - Branch Rickey
1939 African Tobacco - Babe Ruth (Large)
Old 11-15-2020, 01:29 PM
Al Richter

Not the rookie card, Fleer Baseball Facts

Old 11-15-2020, 02:44 PM

Default Astrodome

Wasn't the Fleer card issued in 1969?
Old 11-15-2020, 06:17 PM
Al Richter

I think some or all were issued in 1969 although some may have been issued or packaged in the early 70s. I have 18 which I think is the complete set. There is a 2nd astrodome card in the set, an interior shot. Same for Yankee stadium, interior and exterior shots. Only 12 stadiums in set. Four other cards are what the Fleer sticker blog refers to as baseball propaganda cards, for example, America's Favorite Pastime

Tags
astrodome, houston, jim wynn, milkana, roman mejias