NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-08-2020, 02:52 PM
M@rk Comer

[QUOTE=BaltOrioles;1945262]I did find photos of my set of hand painted baseballs of the 1983 Orioles World Series champions. A friend of mine painted these on official MLB baseballs in 1984, from team issued postcards I provided her. She did the entire 25 man post season roster. My photos don't do them justice. They look much better in person.

My original plan was to get them autographed, but I never got around to it. Now that some of the players are deceased, I'm glad I don't have some autographed and not the others.

A few of my favorite cards in the front, especially the 1967 Brooks Robinson.

Notice in the back row, playoff hero Tito Landrum.

Alan,

One more thing on the painted baseballs of the '83 Orioles WS Champs. Just an opinion, but I think when you get back home to Maine you should take individual photos of each ball and post in this thread. I'd really enjoy seeing each (and every) one shared for all to see (or at least for me to see). What do you think? A nice goal for the future?!?
Old 01-08-2020, 04:48 PM
Alan Strout

Alan,

One more thing on the painted baseballs of the '83 Orioles WS Champs. Just an opinion, but I think when you get back home to Maine you should take individual photos of each ball and post in this thread. I'd really enjoy seeing each (and every) one shared for all to see (or at least for me to see). What do you think? A nice goal for the future?!?[/QUOTE]

Mark,

I'll be happy to do that this summer.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:18 PM
M@rk Comer

Default 1983 World Series Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Alan,

One more thing on the painted baseballs of the '83 Orioles WS Champs. Just an opinion, but I think when you get back home to Maine you should take individual photos of each ball and post in this thread. I'd really enjoy seeing each (and every) one shared for all to see (or at least for me to see). What do you think? A nice goal for the future?!?
Mark,

I'll be happy to do that this summer.[/QUOTE]

YES!!!!!

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-08-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Brad W.

I enjoyed reading this tread, and hope to see more posts in the future. Brooks was incredible at 3rd.

It's weird, but I've ended up with three 1/1 sketch cards of Brooks by the same artist out of 2008 Topps Stadium Club. I liked the 1st one a lot, and then picked up the other 2 when I've seen them over the years.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:00 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
I enjoyed reading this tread, and hope to see more posts in the future. Brooks was incredible at 3rd.

It's weird, but I've ended up with three 1/1 sketch cards of Brooks by the same artist out of 2008 Topps Stadium Club. I liked the 1st one a lot, and then picked up the other 2 when I've seen them over the years.
Brad,

Glad you enjoyed so far. Thanks for posting the sketch cards of Brooks; all look really nice in my view. I "think" the last one I like the best; probably because you can see more of the uni. and I like when he had the B. Robinson on the back of his jersey.

Hey, would love to see your favorite Grace card or odd-ball or publication or poster or proof, etc. You get the drift; would like to see a cool Grace item.
Well can I assume you're a Grace collector...
Old 01-10-2020, 07:22 PM

I have no idea what is first nickname was?
Old 01-10-2020, 08:59 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
I have no idea what is first nickname was?
His father called Brooks “Buddy” so if you consider that a nickname that would be first. If not in HS it was “round-man”.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:52 AM
Brad W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Brad,

Glad you enjoyed so far. Thanks for posting the sketch cards of Brooks; all look really nice in my view. I "think" the last one I like the best; probably because you can see more of the uni. and I like when he had the B. Robinson on the back of his jersey.

Hey, would love to see your favorite Grace card or odd-ball or publication or poster or proof, etc. You get the drift; would like to see a cool Grace item.
Well can I assume you're a Grace collector...
I run the website www.MarkGrace.com. My whole collection is scanned there. You can see a lot of oddball stuff there. I also have a Don Zimmer collection, if you want to see oddball stuff of a Brooks contemporary. You can see that collection at http://www.baseballcardstars.com/zim...lectibles.html
Old 01-13-2020, 02:58 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
My whole collection is scanned there. You can see a lot of oddball stuff there. I also have a Don Zimmer collection, if you want to see oddball stuff of a Brooks contemporary.
Brad,

Man, I wish i was half as organized as you (I'd even take a fourth). I guess if I had a website with everything listed I wouldn't need to post something everyday since people can just go to the website and peruse. I viewed a little of both areas today and the sites are well done. I'll be checking out your odd-ball items in particular.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:34 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default 1967 Topps High Number Brooks Signed in pen

This was signed so long ago Brooks Robinson was a free autograph at a card show. 75 or 76... Always Very Friendly to fans and all around nice guy. In a SGC case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15800671970645445060109556537811.jpg (69.6 KB, 143 views)
Old 01-26-2020, 02:00 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
This was signed so long ago Brooks Robinson was a free autograph at a card show. 75 or 76... Always Very Friendly to fans and all around nice guy. In a SGC case.
Jonathan,

That’s a nice autograph on a great card. You don’t see a ‘67 Topps signed that often.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:03 AM
Alan Strout

Default 1983 World Series Baseballs

Quote:
Alan,

Mark,

I'll be happy to do that this summer.
I'm a little slow in responding to Mark's request, but finally got pics of the baseballs. Over the next few days, I'll post pictures of each individual baseball.

Back in Post #118, I shared my collection of baseballs painted by artist Roberta Howard. I had her do the entire 1983 World Series roster. Each player is painted on an official AL baseball. I had her alternate with players in white and orange jerseys. With the cost of all the baseballs and her cost to paint them, I have about $30 in each baseball. A big investment back then, but I very happy with the results.

We will start with the Orioles pitching staff

Jim Palmer, Sammy Stewart, Dennis Martinez, Mike Boddicker, Storm Davis, Tim Stoddard, Tippy Martinez, Scott McGregor and Mike Flanagan

1984 Roberta Howard Hand Painted Baseball (Jim Palmer).JPG 1984 Roberta Howard Hand Painted Baseball (Sammy Stewart).jpg
1984 Roberta Howard Hand Painted Baseball (Dennis Martinez).JPG 1984 Roberta Howard Hand Painted Baseball (Mike Boddicker).JPG
1984 Roberta Howard Hand Painted Baseball (Storm Davis).jpg 1984 Roberta Howard Hand Painted Baseball (Tim Stoddard).jpg
1984 Roberta Howard Hand Painted Baseball (Tippy Martinez).jpg 1984 Roberta Howard Hand Painted Baseball (Scott McGregor).jpg
1984 Roberta Howard Hand Painted Baseball (Mike Flanagan).jpg
Old 07-22-2020, 10:28 AM
Mike Magee

Default More Ajay Brooks Items

Good afternoon,

Previously, Brooks-endorsed lacing needles, flip-up glasses, and a rosin bag have been posted here. Here is another item by Ajay, this time a Brooks Robinson scorebook:

Brooks Robinson Scorebook.jpg
Old 07-22-2020, 03:15 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good afternoon,

Previously, Brooks-endorsed lacing needles, flip-up glasses, and a rosin bag have been posted here. Here is another item by Ajay, this time a Brooks Robinson scorebook:

Attachment 410503
Mike,

Thanks for adding a new one to the mix. Most Brooks items I’ve at least seen before, but I haven’t seen this Ajay item before. Thanks for showing it off!
Old 07-23-2020, 01:59 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 205 (July 23, 2020 – 205)

The Hostess set was distributed in three card panels on the bottom of their snack cake boxes. Brooks shares the panel with past Reds and then current fellow Oriole Lee May (with an airbrushed cap) and the great Carlton Fisk the then Boston catcher.

Day 205 a 1975 Hostess Panel.jpg

I’m not sure why there’s a difference, but the Brooks Hostess can be found with a fairly clear picture, which I’ve attached, and one that’s a tad bury with a redness to his face. I’m not sure if it’s something about the print setting or what the deal is with this card; maybe you guys can chime in on the reason for the difference.

Day 205 b 1975 Hostess #144.jpg
Day 205 c 1975 Hostess #144 back.jpg

Ok; now I’ve pictured a proof of the 1975 Hostess panel. Notice any difference?

Day 205 d 1975 Hostess Proof.jpg
Old 07-23-2020, 06:01 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:

The Hostess set was distributed in three card panels on the bottom of their snack cake boxes. Brooks shares the panel with past Reds and then current fellow Oriole Lee May (with an airbrushed cap) and the great Carlton Fisk the then Boston catcher.

Attachment 410604

I’m not sure why there’s a difference, but the Brooks Hostess can be found with a fairly clear picture, which I’ve attached, and one that’s a tad bury with a redness to his face. I’m not sure if it’s something about the print setting or what the deal is with this card; maybe you guys can chime in on the reason for the difference.

Attachment 410605
Attachment 410606

Attachment 410607
Mark,

I'm not a Hostess expert, but do love the cards. I remember a lot of Twinkies and Cupcakes in the house over the summer.

The cards were issued on a variety of different products, including individual cards on single serve products. While the difference between the box cards and individual cards is noticeable (different card stock), the difference in your cards could be the product they were printed on. In 1976, the cards also were printed in black or brown on the back.

The proof with Brooks Robinson is easy to answer. Lee May was originally going to be printed as with Houston Astros, but Hostess changed his card after the trade to the Orioles.

1975 Hostess Proof of Lee May

s-l1600.jpg
Old 07-23-2020, 03:13 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:

Attachment 410604

Attachment 410605
Attachment 410606

Attachment 410607

Besides the hilarity of the photographer's shadow marring everything (shouldn't that be one of the don'ts on the first day of photography class??), I noticed the dot borders aren't uniform at all (on any of the three cards). In the Brooksie on the panel, there's a significant gap in the lower left side, but in the Robinson card appearing alone, the dot border seems to be full on all four sides. Perhaps those differences are unique to whether or not the card is a clear or 'red faced' version?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:12 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
I'm a little slow in responding to Mark's request, but finally got pics of the baseballs. Over the next few days, I'll post pictures of each individual baseball.

Back in Post #118, I shared my collection of baseballs painted by artist Roberta Howard. I had her do the entire 1983 World Series roster. Each player is painted on an official AL baseball. I had her alternate with players in white and orange jerseys. With the cost of all the baseballs and her cost to paint them, I have about $30 in each baseball. A big investment back then, but I very happy with the results.

We will start with the Orioles pitching staff

Jim Palmer, Sammy Stewart, Dennis Martinez, Mike Boddicker, Storm Davis, Tim Stoddard, Tippy Martinez, Scott McGregor and Mike Flanagan
I knew you’d have to get back to Maine before you posted the painted baseballs; so thanks for remembering and posting. I can’t remember if you mentioned if you were thinking about getting them signed at the time or not.