NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2023, 08:32 PM
Dave Carson

Default Back home from the National

Back in Indy tonight (Friday) after 3 days at the National. Long post incoming

Very pleased with my purchases. For the first time in memory I spent my entire bankroll - dealt entirely in cash for show purchases. Was there Wednesday, all day Thursday and left today around 1:00 pm as I was out of cash. By far my most successful Friday at the National - usually I am grouchy and grumpy by lunch time Friday and I want to leave because I hate being around people Not today. I left because I didn't want to spend more money.

I started the general admission ticket entry fiasco post - no need to rehash here.

The crowd on Wednesday was manageable. Thursday was incredibly packed, even with all the extra room. It bordered on being uncomfortable even without the issues from the heat. I've never sweated as much at a card show as I did Wednesday and Thursday. The room was noticeably cooler when we entered Friday. It was starting to warm up when I left - not sure how cool it stayed. I didn't think Friday was a crowded as Thursday, but I also saw a whole lot less of the show on Friday.

A few general thoughts on what I saw the show before I get in to the specifics of my trip and what I bought.

I don't recall ever seeing as many ticket stubs and unused full tickets at any show as I did this time. Primarily high end tickets with some expensive price tags. I don't have any idea what market should be on some these older World Series and All-Star tickets. They were great to look at but I'm not ready to spend several hundred dollars on a ticket stub. I probably should be ready because there are many fewer ticket stubs for high end events that there are for almost any vintage card.

Business seemed to be booming at most every booth selling primarily cards - whether new or vintage. Well almost every booth - a couple of vintage dealers with a reputation with me of outrageous prices weren't busy.

It seemed on Wednesday that tables dealing primarily in autographs and those dealing in equipment and uniforms were not as busy as the others. I didn't pay as much attention Thursday so that make well have changed.

I really didn't spend much time in the corporate areas - like every other National. I looked at some of the REA items for the next auction - what gorgeous cards. I took some of BCW's free samples but that was it. The big corporate guys spending huge bucks for space didn't make any money on me - but they made plenty from a lot of people.

I left Indy about 9:30 Wednesday morning, ate lunch in Merrillville and managed to thread the needle between the rounds of storms. They started behind me in central Indiana and I got to the Region (NW Indiana) after they went through.

The Hyatt app didn't show my room as being available at 1:00 p.m. when I arrived. I went to the front desk to check and the clerk moved me to a room that was ready. Back to my car to get my bags and got settled in the room.

I decided I could watch the Guardians Royals game on my phone while standing in line as easily as I could in the room. Well that didn't exactly work out, but I was one of the first 30 or so people down the escalator. I was quite surprised to get dropped off at the back of the new area they used this year. Took me about 10 minutes to wind may through that section to get to the original area where most of the dealers I wanted to see were.

My primary goal at the National was to find the 7 Hostess panels that I need. I was a perfect 0 for 7. Maybe a dozen dealers had some - and I did a lot of asking.

First stop was JD Heckathorn. Picked up a few things he added since I last saw him - a couple of 1961 Scoops, some 1961 and 1962 Kahn's baseball and a B18 blanket. Chatted with JD, Stacy and their son and moved on to see Kevin Savage.

It is always a fun chat with Kevin. Noticed he had a 1948 World Series Game 3 ticket stub with Bob Feller's autograph. Ticket has tape residue and some paper damage on the back, but the front is gorgeous and very vibrant color. After we joked about the value being lower because the autograph, I quickly purchased the ticket. Kevin mentioned he had just purchased a box of low grade 1930s cards. I am building a low grade Diamond Stars set and he let me go through the cards. Ended up getting four that I needed including Rogers Hornsby with some writing on the front (that fits right in with my set). Probably spent 15-20 minutes with Kevin.

Stopped to talk with Scott Russell of Collector Connection - looked at his auction offerings. Went next door to Scott's neighbor to meet Net 54er Howard Chasser. Howard had messaged me that he was breaking a 1967 Kahn's set. He had a whole bunch of gorgeous versions. I ended up buying 25 cards that I needed and dropping a whole lot more cash than I intended to in the first hour of the show.

Next stop was Sterling Auctions where I introduced myself to Lee Behrens. We had a great conversation for about 15 minutes. I've only had a handful of auction wins from Lee, but he chatted like I was his number one purchaser. Good luck Lee chasing down that card you mentioned.

I headed back to in to the new section (what a mess getting there) to see my local card shop - Indy Card Exchange. Spent a few minutes talking with the guys and then went back in search of my Hostess panels. My bigger purchase for the rest of the day was a group of 1958 Hires, including Snider and Drysdale. The only biggie I still need is Mays.

I left about 7:30. My blood sugar was down close to the level I get concerned (had been about 8 hours since lunch) and I could tell I was getting dehydrated. Went offsite to Cilantro Taco Grill on Hillsdale and then back to the hotel.

Thursday morning I ended up getting an overpriced breakfast buffet at the Hyatt. It was good but it did end up spiking my blood sugar and it did not succeed in keeping me full for all day. Live and learn.

Back to Kevin Savage who had priced out more of his purchase - bought some Goudey Heads Up, 1939 Play Ball and a few 1934 Goudey, including Leo Durocher and Frankie Frisch.

I had made it through about half of the dealers on Wednesday, so I spent Thursday visiting the rest in the fruitless search for Hostess panels. Bought some more 1939 Play Ball, including Bill Dickey, picked up some non-sport needs including 1956 Topps Flags of the World. Worked my way through the areas I didn't see Wednesday - the newly added area. Checked out Stan Loch and Dave Schrader's tables back there. Went back to the carpeted area at the back of the "old" section of the show - that's where there are a lot of modern dealers. I wasn't back there long.

Went to the Hyatt to grab lunch and their coffee shop and went to the room for a quick break to get out of the heat. It was quite worthwhile to get in to a cool room for about an hour total.

Last purchase of the day was four 1940s Cleveland Indians programs from long time National dealer Jerry Adamic. Left a little early and headed out to meet a friend for dinner at his hotel out past O'Hare along the Jane Addams.

I waited until about 10:05 Friday morning to check out the hotel. I had taken my bags to the car earlier but hung out in my room hoping that I gave enough time for the mass of humanity in the admission area to clear. That was successful as it only took about five minutes in the queue to be heading down the escalators.

After spending a good chunk of my bankroll on Wednesday, I started today with more than half of it left. I decided that I would be looking to purchase one of two cards I need if I could find fits for my budget - a 1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson (to finish the 1950 Bowman set) or a 1949 Bowman Larry Doby (the last really big one from that set).

After chatting with a few dealers, I went and made a purchase to finish out a set that had been on my want list for 40 years - not the Jackie. I got two 1983 Topps football (for 35 cents) to finish that set. Lets see if I have any idea where my set is so I can insert them. I also bought a half dozen 1949 Bowman baseball from Jack's Cards.

I then set out to look for my big purchase. I only went about ten booths or so away and saw a 1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson in a SCG 1 holder. Inquired about the price and looked at the card. It definitely met my expectations for what I would get for my price - off center, rounded corners, an indentation in the border. I asked the dealer if he could do better and the number he mentioned was the number I had in mind. We had a deal and I had what I think is the most expensive single purchase I have made at a show.

I was on a high after that, showed the card to a few of the dealers I know well and then set out to look some more. Bought 3 B18 blankets from a dealer for $80 and spent a lot of time looking at a Ty Cobb B18 that he had. I was "you should buy this" and "that's all the cash you have left". I left the table, walked around for about 20 minutes and went back and asked for a small price break. He accepted, I handed over the last of my cash bankroll and I was done. The thought of pulling out the credit card to buy the absolutely gorgeous Joe Jackson B18 he had crossed my mind. But in retirement I have to do a better job of sticking to my budget.

Went around said goodbye to a few dealers, texted my friend that I was leaving at it was off to the parking deck. Lunch at Buono and I was on my back to Indy and fighting the traffic along 80/94 in Illinois and Indiana.

A successful National for me. Very glad I had a room at the Hyatt - the convenience and the refuge is good. I used to feel that way on vacations with my young son. Now it seems old me needs that refuge.

Looking forward to Cleveland next year - get back "home" to Northeast Ohio, be able to go to the show with my brother and get to see family.

A few pictures of purchases, the first crowd pic is Thursday in the GA holding area looking towards the entrance area. The second crowd pic is Wednesday with me looking to the back of the room. The last picture is looking down at the back of the hall from walkway from the Hyatt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0128-compressed.JPG (85.7 KB, 592 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-compressed (1).JPG (61.3 KB, 591 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0171-compressed.JPG (53.0 KB, 587 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0134-compressed.JPG (76.9 KB, 587 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0161-compressed.JPG (54.0 KB, 594 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender-compressed.JPG (76.4 KB, 586 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0165-compressed.JPG (63.4 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpeg 71209156951__EAA3DF13-F626-4408-9613-1BF61CDCBFB2-compressed.jpeg (47.7 KB, 589 views)