NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default **Help Requested** September 8th, 1930 Old Timers Game in Boston

I've done a little reseach to learn more about this game. It seems to have served two purposes; first a collection of players who had a history with the city of Boston and second, perhaps more importantly, as a tribute or fund raiser for Lou Criger (Cy Young's personal catcher and member of the 1903 World Champion Red Sox) who couldn't participate due to his living in Arizona and bout with tuberculosis. Does anyone know any thing else about this game??? There is a really cool panoramic of the players there that day that apparently is worth a few bucks...see below for one that previously sold at auction. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1030.09.08.OldTimersGame.BostonBraves.jpg (35.1 KB, 179 views)
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.

Last edited by Big Six; 11-10-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
I've done a little reseach to learn more about this game. It seems to have served two purposes; first a collection of players who had a history with the city of Boston and second, perhaps more importantly, as a tribute or fund raiser for Lou Criger (Cy Young's personal catcher and member of the 1903 World Champion Red Sox) who couldn't participate due to his living in Arizona and bout with tuberculosis. Does anyone know any thing else about this game??? There is a really cool panoramic of the players there that day that apparently is worth a few bucks...see below for one that previously sold at auction. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Matt,
Neat photo! When I attended a baseball game a few years ago I stopped by a kiosk that was occupied by the Boston Public Library. They were selling some beautiful black and white photos of different vintage events that occured at Fenway Park. I purchased a great shot that perhaps was from the same game. My photo has Lefty Grove, Joe Wood, Cy Young and I believe Walter Johnson.

Does your photo have all of the players that I mentioned in it?

The Boston Public Library might be able to provide additional info on your game if you do some digging.....

Last edited by Scott Garner; 11-10-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:24 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Thanks for the lead, Scott...

The framed photo in my original post is not mine (I wish it was!). However, I won the photo below which is most certainly from the same day. I don't know if it is an original photo or not, but the reverse of the photo has me encouraged...in my research it looks like there are 18 Hall of Famers in the picture, including Cy Young and Ty Cobb...I really hope this is a period piece (otherwise known as Type 1 )!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1030.09.08.OldTimersGame.BostonBravesFront.jpg (65.0 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 1030.09.08.OldTimersGame.BostonBravesBack.jpg (44.0 KB, 158 views)
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM
David McDonald

I'd be surprised if it weren't a period piece with the annotation on the reverse.
Tangential to this thread, I stumbled across the Boston Public Library Flicker page the other day and had a ball looking at their photos, many of which were new to these eyes, at least. In particular, the McGreevey collection is well worth a look (although the bulk of it predates the 1930s era).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boston_...7624088175578/

Old 11-11-2010, 08:55 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default so...

was this a good pick up for $40? I'm sure it'll look really good framed up, but curious about anyone's thoughts on value....
Old 11-11-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
was this a good pick up for $40? I'm sure it'll look really good framed up, but curious about anyone's thoughts on value....
Awesome deal for $40! Great pickup!! I'll let some of the photo guys check in with a guestimate of value.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default OT - 1939 Boston Old-Timers game at Fenway Park

Last May, Jim Stinson offered several autograph cuts taken from a 1939 (?) Boston Old-Timer's Game scorecard. The following is paraphrased from his 5/18/2010 Autograph Update:

In July 1939 At Fenway Park in Boston the Red Sox hosted what has been called the first "Old Timers Day" They invited many of the retired legends of the day to participate in the game that included Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Chief Bender, Ed Walsh, Grover Alexander, Tris Speaker and many more. In addition they invited many past Boston Players from both the early days of the Boston Nationals and Boston Red Sox to attend the game. The cuts offered here were removed from the scorecard of that day's game. Includes some tremendously RARE signatures as even in 1939 some of the former players were too old to participate in the game. All of the autographs that follow were signed IN-PERSON at that 1939 game: CHIEF BENDER, ED WALSH, GEORGE "LEFTY" TYLER, JOE FRANCIS "JOEY" CONNOLLY, FRANK H. CONNAUGHTON, JOE CASEY, BUCK O'BRIEN, and JACK ONSLOW
I used the images he posted with his listing and roughly recreated parts of the scorecard:

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 11-11-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Hope it's Type1. Though the players on the ends being slightly cut-off could indicate it had been cropped from original. My experience anyway.

Regardless, It's a Beantown memory of great beauty... And we must have it!
Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Hope it's Type1. Though the players on the ends being slightly cut-off could indicate it had been cropped from original. My experience anyway.

Regardless, It's a Beantown memory of great beauty... And we must have it!
I'm thinking the cropping of the players on the ends means more that it is a photograph taken by a non-professional...perhaps by the person who wrote on the reverse of the picture. I think that might also be the case because of the perspective of the photo (off to the side versus the Official photo's head-on perspective)...more a "witness" perspective. Keep the comments coming...
Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Any other feedback???

I didn't buy this for investment puposes...it's getting framed and hung in a prominent spot in my office regardless. Just curious if anyone who has experience with photos can give me a ball park on value...at least from an insurance standpoint. Thanks...Matt
Old 11-12-2010, 12:52 PM
P@u1 R31fer$0n

Default Old Timers' Game

Receipts from ticket sales were given to a children's hospital and to a fund for "needy old-time players." The "All Boston" team won 8-4.