NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM

Default Ladies & Gentlemen, for your enjoyment, Mr. Marshall Barkman

Sorry for the OT post and for bringing back so many bad memories, but I couldn't let this go without sharing. From the most recent issue of Antique Week and on the front page no less, albeit of the second section.

Chance find turns out to be one-of-a-kind
WASHINGTON, Va. – When veteran collector/dealer Marshall Barkman was flipping through the leaves of a recently purchased album of tobacco cards he found, in a very literal sense, a feather of a different bird.

“I was just poring through it when I saw this card with real feathers on it,” he says. “I looked at it closer, and noticed there was a watercolor in the background. I’ve been collecting old cards for over 20 years and had never seen, or heard, of anything like this … but here it was.”

The feather was that of a Ptarmigan, small chicken-type birds that normally live in northern climes. The card, printed in Austria, was marked La Marquise Cigarettes Nature Series. Little else, other than its designation as “No 3,” was made available.

Barkman went to his normal research sites; but, could learn very little. Finally, after striking out with all the major card dealers in the world (no one had ever heard of actual bird feathers affixed to a trading card), Barkman hit pay dirt with an expert from the non-sports side of the Sports Collector Digest.

The cards have been only recently discovered, he said.

“The set has a total of 30 or 35 cards and each card has a designated number and a bird on it,” according to Barkman. “The cards were going to be released in cigarette packs but never were. There have only been seven other cards found.”

Each one of those cards found has been a singular event; no two cards are alike. In 1997, an online auction house sold three of these cards – a Blue Backed Paroquet, a Red-Head Duck and a Trumpeter Swan (all with their representative feathers attached) – for $40 apiece. At the time of the transaction, however, next to nothing was known about the card series. It has only been within the past few years that the cards have received published recognition.

“My hunch is there is only one of each card that would make up the master set,” Barkman says. “I think, ultimately, that the cards were too expensive - or time consuming – to produce and the company scratched the idea.”

That would leave only the one “master set” – or prototype – of the cards in existence. And, how that one master card made it from Austria to an age-old album in Pennsylvania is anyone’s case.

“Who knows where these cards came from? Barkman asks. “They could have originally come from one of the workers at the plant; been passed down through the family of someone who found the set discarded … anything is possible … sometime I’d like to find out … that’s what makes the hunt so exciting.”

Barkman, who deals exclusively in baseball cards and art, is always out “beating the bushes,” he says, at shows, flea markets, auctions, wherever fresh material is apt to surface. He’s made some credible finds, he says, but it’s finding the “truly rare” that satisfies his collecting appetite.

“Even though I have found items that are worth $10,000 to $100,000, those are not one-of-a-kind finds,” Barkman says. “I don’t know what the value of something like this is – who can say, if it’s the only one? I’m not interested in selling it. I mean, it’s the rarest thing I’ve ever found … or probably ever will find.

“Just to think that in the past 100 years, I’ve found the only Ptarmigan card from this rare set … and I wasn’t even looking for it … it’s incredible. It just goes to show you the rare stuff is still out there … you never know where it is lurking.”

Eric C. Rodenberg

4/30/2010
Old 05-05-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
a feather of a different bird
I thought this was a description of Marshall.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:02 PM
pete ullman

cool...it's nice to see Marshall is still bringing the NOIZE...elsewhere!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Dan McCarthy

I'm amazed that he managed to come across as a relatively well-adjusted human being in that article.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

"Bring the small-chicken type bird!!!" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:16 PM
D.B. Cooper

I've been duct-taping cat fur to 3 x 5 cards for years and have experienced similar difficulties in finding a cigarette manufacturer willing to distribute those cards with their product.

Last edited by Anthony S.; 05-05-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Eric Bea.chley

He needs to do a little better research. Those are T90's so they were identified in the first ACC. I have 4 of them and hopefully a few more soon.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
He needs to do a little better research. Those are T90's so they were identified in the first ACC. I have 4 of them and hopefully a few more soon.

Maybe if he would take off his sunglasses when looking it up he could have found them.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Noize

He was bringing so much NOIZE he couldn't hear anything else, even when told they were listed.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:51 PM

i barely recall the noize, but i'll never forget the manor in which his noize brought out the very worst in others.

live and learn, but never forget.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Dan Bretta

Heh.

Scan borrowed from the Net54 Non-sport gallery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (24.2 KB, 420 views)
Old 05-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Rhett Yeakley

As Eric said (and I hope he gets his others too!) these are a known set (T90). They certainly are rare but there are at least a few known near sets of 30. The single thing that probably makes these much harder to find for tobacco card collectors is the fact that the cards themselves are not marked "La Marquise" anywhere except the glassine envelope (much like the B- and L- tobacco premiums are often not marked).
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-05-2010, 04:33 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybecker View Post
i barely recall the noize, but i'll never forget the manor in which his noize brought out the very worst in others.

live and learn, but never forget.
Brought out the very worst in others? Pardon me? Marshall came here like a one-man wrecking crew, a thousand times more disruptive than anyone else I can remember ever on this board including you-know-who. He got every benefit of the doubt and a lot of guys were very reasoned in their appeals to him. Leon let him stay too long and the natives got a little restless but Marshall was not the victim of any excessive commentary. He is owed no apologies.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:36 PM
D.B. Cooper

Bring the noisome.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Banned

Is it true that the cockfighting rooster was the chase card in that set?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:13 PM

There are 11 different cards pictured from T90 on the non-sports card side. Plus scans of the glassine envelope.

http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/T90/go.html
Old 05-05-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Brought out the very worst in others? Pardon me? Marshall came here like a one-man wrecking crew, a thousand times more disruptive than anyone else I can remember ever on this board including you-know-who. He got every benefit of the doubt and a lot of guys were very reasoned in their appeals to him. Leon let him stay too long and the natives got a little restless but Marshall was not the victim of any excessive commentary. He is owed no apologies.

whoa....not defending marshall at all. i paid no attention to him whatsoever. consider the source. it's what he evoked others to say that i will never forget. they dropped down to and well below his level, imo. again consider the source. a cretin, like marshall, can be discarded for who he is. for a respected person to drop to (and again far below, imo) his level is unacceptable. consider the source. i couldn't think some of the things that were said in his farewell thread, let alone write them in a forum.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:15 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
So funny I was thinking the same thing I used to own a Turkey card from this set...I'll see if I have a scan.

John
Old 05-05-2010, 07:16 PM

I actually met Marshall at the National last year in Cleveland and he was a really nice guy. I enjoyed talking to him a great deal. I have a lot of respect for him.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Joann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
I've been duct-taping cat fur to 3 x 5 cards for years and have experienced similar difficulties in finding a cigarette manufacturer willing to distribute those cards with their product.
And this is a great example of why Anthony is consistently one of the funniest guys on this board.

HAH!

J
Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
And this is a great example of why Anthony is consistently one of the funniest guys on this board.

HAH!

J
Interesting observation, because Alan's post was the one that made me laugh out loud.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have a lot of respect for his attitude towards women. Seriously, how can anyone read the vile crap he wrote and say they have a lot of respect for him?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-05-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I have a lot of respect for his attitude towards women. Seriously, how can anyone read the vile crap he wrote and say they have a lot of respect for him?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Joann

Good point Rob. Good point.

And Peter, Alan's respect for Marshall ---> my loss of respect for Alan, so does that mean it all nets out? :-)
Old 05-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Tom Boblitt

Yeah....definitely not one of a kind cards. Very tough though...typically type cards will sell for 200-300 each. A board member here apparently picked up a large lot of them recently.....
Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

LOL he is still a member....

Reginald Marsh

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk59 View Post
Good point Rob. Good point.

And Peter, Alan's respect for Marshall ---> my loss of respect for Alan, so does that mean it all nets out? :-)
Alan may be unaware of some of Mr Barkman's more misogynistic posts.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Brian

Quote:
“Even though I have found items that are worth $10,000 to $100,000, those are not one-of-a-kind finds,” Barkman says. “I don’t know what the value of something like this is – who can say, if it’s the only one? I’m not interested in selling it. I mean, it’s the rarest thing I’ve ever found … or probably ever will find.
How can something be more rare than one-of-a-kind?

Is he going to find something that doesn't exist yet? A one-of-zero?

Last edited by three25hits; 05-05-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
A board member here apparently picked up a large lot of them recently.....
Uh-oh. I hope that doesn't mean he and Marshall are now birds of a feather.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:57 AM

Nothing is rarer that one-of-a-kind

Last edited by drc; 05-06-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Alan may be unaware of some of Mr Barkman's more misogynistic posts.
Then again, perhaps he was. Here is Alan's post on a thread discussing precisely that.

#6 08-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Jewish-collector
Alan
Member Join Date: May 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave Marshall alone. He's a good man.

This one's for you, Marshall
(beer chug emoticon not copying)

Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

So Peter, is it safe to assume that it will be a table for two at Alan's Baltimore National dinner?
Old 05-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

That would be more than at the last one, no?

Old 05-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Then again, perhaps he was. Here is Alan's post on a thread discussing precisely that.

#6 08-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Jewish-collector
Alan
Member Join Date: May 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave Marshall alone. He's a good man.

This one's for you, Marshall
(beer chug emoticon not copying)
Heh. I guess he was aware of it.