NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Default Authentic Mantle??? JSA??

I think this is a bad Mantle. A really bad Mantle.
What do you think?
It has a JSA cert and is on ebay now.
No gotcha here, just what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badmick.jpg (74.8 KB, 285 views)
Old 06-07-2013, 12:51 PM
$teve O.

If it has a JSA cert.,it has to be real!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:29 PM
J@RR0D

You obviously have a better eye than me, Shelly. I don't think it's all that bad. I see a couple of "off" things in it, but it just looks like a more unstable (and not perfectly spaced) signature. I do not know his inscription style though, so I'm not taking that into the equation at all.

I've been wrong before.

Often.

Last edited by scmavl; 06-07-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Shale Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I think this is a bad Mantle. A really bad Mantle.
What do you think?
It has a JSA cert and is on ebay now.
No gotcha here, just what do you think?
I am no expert but the i in Mickey doesn't seem right, but, the rest looks ok so maybe he coughed or had a twitch.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I think it's the "I" that makes it look off. Other than that, including the inscription, I think it looks pretty good.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I just don't like the I pluse the spaceing and size of a to n the number five is wrong as well.
536.jpg
Old 06-07-2013, 02:25 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

I'm thinking this is a legit Mantle but the crappy construction of the M and i in Mickey would keep me from wanting to spend any money on it...the inscription looks representative of what few 536 HR inscriptions I've seen, fwiw...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Steve Zarelli

Looks somewhat sloppy, but real to me. If its a fake, there is a lot the forger got right and it's far superior to the typical fakes we see.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:20 PM

Looks 100% authentic to me
Old 06-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Christopher Williams

Definitely authentic.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Jeff P0tter

The Mantle signature looks good to me, coa or not. N is right, y is right, speed is good, I think sometimes the thicker pen ones can be a little harder to tell though.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
I just don't like the I pluse the spaceing and size of a to n the number five is wrong as well.
Attachment 102032
Shelly, Mantle had two different types of 5's that he used...one where the bottom loop comes up and then across (like your second one) and one like the first which is more traditional. Johnny Podres did the same thing with his inscription of 1955 often times.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Shale Levine

I think this one might be real to!!! Now this is fugly. But he got it in person, the mick must have been drunk and stoned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICKEY-MANTL...item232bc3e05f
Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post
I think this one might be real to!!! Now this is fugly. But he got it in person, the mick must have been drunk and stoned.

That one does look ugly.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Belltown Vintage

It could have been signed when his liver was hurting.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post

You're kidding, right?

"The Record was signed at a baseball card show in the early 80's"

LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16hHJIYE9qUcQ(4qBR(v3y)v2!~~60_57 (1).jpg (76.1 KB, 169 views)
Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I had Mantle at a show where he could not even stand up. Not a single signiture had a hicup. I posted my thoughts. That is why this site is great. What made me feel it is not authentic is everyone is saying what is right about everything I think is wrong. To many things wrong with one signiture.

Last edited by shelly; 06-07-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Shelly, Mantle had two different types of 5's that he used...one where the bottom loop comes up and then across (like your second one) and one like the first which is more traditional. Johnny Podres did the same thing with his inscription of 1955 often times.
When did he change the way he signed his number? I have seen Mickey sign in front of me over 5 thousand times. I never saw and I like that or the small a to the n like that ever. I am sure because the consigner got it in person it is authentic. Like so many other items we have seen. I would not touch it and that is my thoughts right or wrong.
Like I said this is why where here. I will donate to anyone on this site a hundred dollars to any charity if they can show me another ball with an I pointed west. That is a ball that is authentic. I am really sorry but I just feel that this is not an item I would buy no matter who thought is was authentic.
If I had not said it was authenticated by God. How many of you would have said it is good and why? I told you what I thought you tell me why it is good.

Last edited by shelly; 06-07-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Wow.

Shelly - thanks for starting this thread. I don't know if it was your intention, but you drew out a post that verified my thoughts on what a total pile of crap this hobby has turned into.

Every man for himself.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:15 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Wow.

Shelly - thanks for starting this thread. I don't know if it was your intention, but you drew out a post that verified my thoughts on what a total pile of crap this hobby has turned into.

Every man for himself.
I normally do not take issue with your statements, but I do with this one.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 06-08-2013, 07:11 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Wow.

Every man for himself.
Not following you Scott...what does the above mean???
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
When did he change the way he signed his number? I have seen Mickey sign in front of me over 5 thousand times. I never saw and I like that or the small a to the n like that ever. I am sure because the consigner got it in person it is authentic. Like so many other items we have seen. I would not touch it and that is my thoughts right or wrong.
Like I said this is why where here. I will donate to anyone on this site a hundred dollars to any charity if they can show me another ball with an I pointed west. That is a ball that is authentic. I am really sorry but I just feel that this is not an item I would buy no matter who thought is was authentic.
If I had not said it was authenticated by God. How many of you would have said it is good and why? I told you what I thought you tell me why it is good.
Shelly, I don't know for sure if he ever had a period in time where he changed one way or another on the way he made his 5's, but I do know that he used two and they could have been interchangable. As far as seeing him sign in front of you 5000 times, that really doesn't mean anything since he would probably sign several hundred to a thousand at a show so we're only talking about a handfull of individual times. His signing habits could be slightly altered depending on the day...and he signed on a s**t load of days.
As for not wanting to touch this one, I would agree with you even though I think it's authentic. Unless you see it signed in front of you, it's never a slam dunk so why would anyone want one that makes you have any kind of doubt?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Shelly, I don't know for sure if he ever had a period in time where he changed one way or another on the way he made his 5's, but I do know that he used two and they could have been interchangable. As far as seeing him sign in front of you 5000 times, that really doesn't mean anything since he would probably sign several hundred to a thousand at a show so we're only talking about a handfull of individual times. His signing habits could be slightly altered depending on the day...and he signed on a s**t load of days.
As for not wanting to touch this one, I would agree with you even though I think it's authentic. Unless you see it signed in front of you, it's never a slam dunk so why would anyone want one that makes you have any kind of doubt?
I am just makeing a point. If you see one think wrong ok two maybe three no way four or more not for me. I still have a wager that you can not find me another Mantle with that I on any item. He signed thousnads of pieces and I should have said at least 25,000 not five. Not one time did I ever see that and I am sure you can look till doomsday and never see that I again. I stand by what I said. I do agree if it where authentic I would not buy it.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Jeff P0tter

I just don't see four plus things wrong with that signature. The y he signed many times like that and the a-n is a little long but I have seen that countless times too. I will agree though that the I is leaning a little back but one letter isn't enough to discredit the remainder of the good parts. I am just speaking of the autograph and not the inscription.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
I normally do not take issue with your statements, but I do with this one.
That's certainly your right - it's a discussion forum and it's just opinions.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:06 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
That's certainly your right - it's a discussion forum and it's just opinions.
No problem Scott. I respect your opinion likewise.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 06-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
No problem Scott. I respect your opinion likewise.
Thanks. Also, at this point I don't want to go back and re-state in detail what I meant in that previous post, but it wasn't as bad as some might have taken it. I was venting somewhat.