NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-04-2019, 06:31 PM

Default What is the PSA Tolerance for Card Measurements?

What is the tolerance that a card can be "short" and still have PSA grading? I saw this on the board recently but can't seem to locate it. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
What is the tolerance that a card can be "short" and still have PSA grading? I saw this on the board recently but can't seem to locate it. Thanks.
With recent revelations it appears the tolerance is quite a bit.

Last edited by Leon; 06-05-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:05 AM
Rob

I hear they're not that strict.

image host

Last edited by Fballguy; 06-05-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:08 AM
Steve Birmingham

I asked when they were new, and at the time it was - If I remember correctly- 1/16th or 1/32 of an inch. The card could be undersize, but not oversize.

Hopefully it varies depending on the issue. Prewar cards can be all over the place sizewise, 2019 Topps should pretty much all be exact.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:25 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

If PSA is measuring cards, don't you think that's a sign of their incompetency? Measuring tools shouldn't even be available to the graders. If they can't look and tell a factory cut from a non-factory cut, something is wrong. Measurements are easy to manipulate. A factory cut is not.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:27 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I asked when they were new, and at the time it was - If I remember correctly- 1/16th or 1/32 of an inch. The card could be undersize, but not oversize.

Hopefully it varies depending on the issue. Prewar cards can be all over the place sizewise, 2019 Topps should pretty much all be exact.
Steve, You would know better than I, I'm sure, but when you're talking modern laser cut cards, I would think 1/16 is pretty darn big. And even 1/32 is fairly tolerant. For vintage, obviously sizes can be all over the place, even for later post war cards. Looking at some of the examples in the BO Forum from cards within the past 10 years though leads me to question if their tolerances are too big for new cards or if they aren't even measuring.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
If PSA is measuring cards, don't you think that's a sign of their incompetency? Measuring tools shouldn't even be available to the graders. If they can't look and tell a factory cut from a non-factory cut, something is wrong. Measurements are easy to manipulate. A factory cut is not.
I do think they should be measuring.

If they rely only on size, yes that's incompetent.

Older cards have a lot of difference in size. So edge quality is the primary thing, and at least in T206s, it usually survives a ton of abuse.

New cards are cut differently, and in most cases should all be exactly* the same size. Any variance should invite a lot of scrutiny.

*Many are die cut, some like Gypsy Queen, are sometimes die cut on some edges, and blade cut on others. I'm not sure of the natural accuracy of die cut cardboard, but the acceptable variance I believe should be less than 1/100th of an inch, likely a LOT less.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:45 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Steve, You would know better than I, I'm sure, but when you're talking modern laser cut cards, I would think 1/16 is pretty darn big. And even 1/32 is fairly tolerant. For vintage, obviously sizes can be all over the place, even for later post war cards. Looking at some of the examples in the BO Forum from cards within the past 10 years though leads me to question if their tolerances are too big for new cards or if they aren't even measuring.
I would agree. I believe most modern cards are actually die cut, I know for certain that some sets are and others are partly die cut.
Outside of things like expansion from temperature and humidity and wear to the die cutting mats, there should be nearly no size variance.
The discussion I had with them was during their first year.

Gypsy queen are partly die cut, something I was studying when I had the time. I haven't looked for uncut sheets, or made a list of which edges come which way.
I believe Topps probably uses the same method for all sets, but I haven't looked into it.
I've had a chance to spend some time around a hobby level laser cutter the last few years, and the edge it produces is usually burned, or a slight bevel.
I may try a card, and see how it cuts.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:35 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
with recent revelations it appears the tolerance is quite a bit.

Now that's funny...

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 06-05-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:30 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I hear they're not that strict.

image host
You should send that card to Moser. I bet he could rebuild the other half and slip it by PSA.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Ben Caraher

I've heard that cards can get "flattened out" if they are kept in non-recessed screw down holders, leading them to fail size requirements (too large). Is it possible that some of these scammers are intentionally flattening cards, then trimming them back into the accepted size limits?
Old 06-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
With recent revelations it appears the tolerance is quite a bit.

LOLOL
The Look N Sees.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
David, if you have followed BO you'll see Gary apparently is quite adept at mimicking factory cuts.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

This thread I started a few years back about the cutting of 1962 Topps Green Tints may be of interest to you...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=226221

So many of those cards seemingly came out of the factory short side to side. And I've seen quite a few GT's in PSA slabs that were clearly not 2.5 inches wide, so there is definitely some leeway in the measurements.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:46 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I have never seen a specific tolerance requirement listed on PSA's website.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:33 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
LOLOL
The Look N Sees.
Exactly! That Look-n-See card had the whole left border shaved and it was still given a 9. That suggests they do not measure at all.

Outrageous.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:27 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

PSA has a no tolerance policy for measuring cards.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Bob Andrews

This gets close to something I've been thinking about since the whole 'trimmed and then graded' scandal has broken loose.

A few months ago I bought a nice, raw '75 Yount as one of the last cards for my set build. I bought it from an eBay seller with tons of positive feedback whom I have bought from several times before. I pulled the card from the packaging and examined it and something just seemed 'off'. It took a couple of seconds but I was suddenly aware that the card was not standard size. I laid it down on a stack of other '75s on my desk and sure enough, it was just a tiny bit narrow.No way was it simply a factory miscut. This was trimmed.

Now I've handled many, many raw cards in my many decades of collecting but I'm far from an expert and yet I was able to pick up on the card being 'short' almost immediately. I just sensed it as I examined it in hand. If I can do that how is it possible for graders, whose job it is to spot these things, can let so many go by?

Volume? Boredom? Or something more nefarious? I have opinions but I'll let it all play out. So far, to my eyes, the statements made by the parties involved have been woefully lacking.

BTW...I contacted the dealer via an eBay message and received an almost immediate response which included an apology and paid return label. They forwarded me all the tracking info so I knew the card had reached them and within a half hour of that I was refunded completely.

Last edited by commishbob; 06-05-2019 at 06:30 PM. Reason: clarity (I hope)