NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Default New 2008 SCD Came Out- Are Prices Accurate?

Posted By: Eric Brehm

The purpose of a price guide is to estimate the price at which an item would change hands between a buyer and a seller when both parties have reasonable knowledge of all the necessary facts, and neither is obligated to make the transaction, i.e. the fair market value. This estimate should be based on historical transactions completed for the same or similar items. I don't think it is particularly relevant whether those historical transactions were auctions in which several buyers competed with each other to arrive at the final price (e.g. eBay or auction house), or simple buy-sell transactions in which the buyer simply agreed to pay the asking price (e.g. eBay BIN), or ones in which the buyer negotiated a final price one-on-one with the seller (e.g. at a card show). This would be true of baseball cards as well as other commodities such as houses, securities, etc.

Seems to me that what is important in determining card values is to take into account as many transactions involving that card (and perhaps other similar cards, say from the same set) as possible in arriving at a single estimated value. The goal is to limit the effect of outliers, based on extraordinary circumstances, that could skew the true market value, resulting in estimates that are unrealistically high or low. This is usually done by taking average or median values across the whole range of transactions that have occurred over time, or simply by throwing out data known to be associated with unrealistic transactions.

In a recent internet auction, two 1933 Goudey common cards in PSA 8 went for about $8000 each, due to the fact that two or more individuals were willing to pay way above 'market' value for those cards because they wanted those particular cards for their sets. The bidders were also probably caught up in the emotion of the moment -- i.e. not wanting to get outbid, and willing to go to extremes to avoid that. (I doubt whether these cards would have sold for $8000 each if there had been a fixed BIN price of $8000 placed on them to begin with.) These auctions are examples of outliers that, while not irrelevant to arriving at a value, need to be either discarded, or averaged in with other transactions where such fervent buyer competition was less of a factor. In the absence of such data, looking at sales of other 1933 Goudey common cards with similarly low populations might be helpful in predicting what the cards would likely sell for in the future. This is where a little bit of 'theoretical' extrapolation, based on general knowledge of the baseball card market forces pertinent to those cards, would come into play, as opposed to purely empirical sales data for particular individual cards.

Price guides like SMR are good because they track the sales of cards in each set, individually and collectively, over a long period of time. Changes in the reported prices from one period to the next should reflect general trends in the market, not minor fluctuations that occur from time to time because of temporary changes in the popularity of the set or a particular card, or unusual transactions that occur because of extraordinary circumstances that will likely not be repeated in the future. Toward this end, SMR gives their average estimates for each card in a set, but also lists some of the more extraordinary transactions separately. For example, the latest SMR gives a price of $9500 for 1933 Goudey #230 Hubbell in PSA 9, but also indicates that one sold in 2006 for $24,368. Is that because two people went overboard when bidding for that particular card, or is it because that Hubbell card was particularly strong for a PSA 9 and so commanded more than the average? Did they average the $24K sale into the average, or exclude it? No way to know, but either way, the high sale is probably worth noting separately.

Guides like vintagecardprices are good because they do show the range of recent prices actually realized for a particular card. But my first inclination is always to average those prices, so that I feel I am factoring out, or at least reducing the effect of, the outliers that may have occurred for various reasons. The transactions are indeed based on the 'latest' market conditions, but they must still be put into historical perspective in order for their effect on true market value (again, the price at which the card would likely change hands in the future) to be properly accounted for.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

just a great post Eric.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Yes Eric- excellent analysis. It was like a short paper on economic theory. Well done.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: SCD Don

What's interesting about this whole discussion (yeah I've been following) is that a lot of the arguments mirror my internal dialogue as I went through pricing (auctions vs. dealer opinion vs. other sources of info) and in some cases...hey, when a rare B18 blanket comes up for sale once every 5 years, tell me if that's an accurate price if it sells at Sotheby's? eBay? Heritage? You get the point.

It's a subjective science. The bottom line is, the astute collectors of Forum 54 aren't going to let me tell you what a card is worth. You know the online, printed, and word-of-mouth ways to get a card's value from this week...and know how to bargain with sellers to get a better deal than that!

Rich, great commentary. I have more respect for the Beckett guide than I did before (and yes, I own it).

And no, we don't copy each other, for all you who were wondering . At least SCD doesn't copy Beckett. Sounds like from what Rich was saying they don't generally do that, either.

Barry, I know you're trying to be an objective, even-keeled commenter here, but I really appreciate you picking up the shield and defending the Catalog's honor here...and giving good behind-the-scenes insight.

Now, this is a great opportunity to say...any volunteers to help shape the prices for the 2009 guide? Most people take one or two or four sets they know a lot about...and we send them pages to look over and they mark them down with suggested price adjustments. This happens early next year (oh, February).

If you participated last year, don't bother replying, you're on the list for 2009. If you want in, email me at don@virtualcrate.com and put "2009 SCD Catalog volunteer." in the subject. Your reward is a free copy and a tip of the cap in the acknowledgments.

(I'm also going to make this call for volunteers its own topic in a second).

Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hi Don- I would be happy to give behind-the-scenes insight if I could, but this is the very first time I contributed pricing to SCD so I really don't know much about the process, other than the work I did.

I think I misread your post. Sorry.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

"True we have not include BIN's in our sales because IMO and other we feel it is not a true measure of what a card is worth."

If you're only relying on auction sales then the prices going into your system will only be one bid increment higher than what the under bidder was willing to pay in that particular instance. The high bidder may have been willing to pay a lot more but he only had to pay one bid increment over the second guy who showed up. This causes wide fluctuations, not in what the card is worth, but the price that goes into your computer. High or low, it's simply another example of what the card has sold for and has no bearing on what the next card will sell for. A card purchased through a BIN is the exact same thing. If it was a high or low BIN it's just another example of what somebody paid for the card. Nobody forces people to bid or hit the BIN, and when somebody hits a BIN purchase it shouldn't just be dismissed as a dummy who doesn't know any better. If you’re not getting BIN data along with auction data then you’re missing a lot of information that’s certainly relevant in trying to figure what something might be worth to you.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

If you go by auction prices alone then you will always quoting the highest price. It's better to look at price as an average or a range. Most deals do not occur at the highest possible price.

As a matter of fact I try to avoid paying the highest price and I will shop until I get a satisfactory price.

Peter C.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

Like I said in a previous thread we are going to be tracking BIN sales in the near future. And our system does average out the price of each card based off the last 5 sales per grade and grader.