NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-22-2022, 05:14 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Default Sun setting on the Yankees season

Wow, I expected a closer game today with Cole going.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-22-2022, 05:35 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Wow, I expected a closer game today with Cole going.
The error hurt him. He pitched a quality game other than that, apparently he was removed for injury as well.

Yankees season was over when half of their bullpen went down with two weeks left into the season. Not having Benintendi definitely hurt as well. Another failed year. Not that ownership cares. Boone will be brought back, most likely. The Yankees are just good enough to make Hal Stienbrenner money, but not good enough to win the World Series. The best opportunity they had was in 2017.

Well I'm sure all the people out there, that hate the Yankees more than they like their own team will be happy. I will say I can't really complain though. We consistently field a playoff contending ball-club, that's more than many can say.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
The error hurt him. He pitched a quality game other than that, apparently he was removed for injury as well.

Yankees season was over when half of their bullpen went down with two weeks left into the season. Not having Benintendi definitely hurt as well. Another failed year. Not that ownership cares. Boone will be brought back, most likely. The Yankees are just good enough to make Hal Stienbrenner money, but not good enough to win the World Series. The best opportunity they had was in 2017.

Well I'm sure all the people out there, that hate the Yankees more than they like their own team will be happy. I will say I can't really complain though. We consistently field a playoff contending ball-club, that's more than many can say.
He did not have a good game at all, he gave up 3 earned runs of his own accord and then gave up a 2 run homer after the error. If that's a quality start, I am out of touch.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-22-2022 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:13 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post

Agreed - I'm thinking Boone is gone though if they lose this series...
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-22-2022, 06:19 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Congrats to the Astros moving on to the World Series.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:55 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

This is a beatdown of EPIC proportions.

Definitely THEE biggest beatdown of a team in the Post Season I've EVER seen. Maybe in any sport!

Serious question for Yankee fans?

Is tomorrow's game even a sellout?

Why should the fans even show up........their team sure hasn't.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:10 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

If I'm the Yankees I sign Jeter to a 1 Game contract and have him bat leadoff tomorrow. They need a bolt and that would be it, and maybe he can show them how not to swing for the bleachers EVERY F-ing at bat.

......and frankly he really couldn't do any worse then these clowns.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-22-2022 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
This is a beatdown of EPIC proportions.

Definitely THEE biggest beatdown of a team in the Post Season I've EVER seen. Maybe in any sport!

Serious question for Yankee fans?

Is tomorrow's game even a sellout?

Why should the fans even show up........their team sure hasn't.
88 As. 04 Yankees after leading 3-0.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-22-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:12 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
88 As. 04 Yankees after leading 3-0.
Yes......but those teams at least showed up.

I never recall a team in a post season series striking out 17 times in 1 game, 4 hits and 13 K's in another game, and 11 K's & only 1-hit (into the 9th) in another game.

They are 1 game away from having the worst post season series performance by a single team of all time!!!!

If this was a fight, they'd stop it.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-23-2022 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

They ended up with 3 hits.

Old 10-23-2022, 06:12 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Right, my error, forgot Carpenter broke his 9 strikeouts in a row streak with a meaningless hit with 2 outs in the 9th. Or he flew out prior to it, then got the hit. 9 K's in a row!
Old 10-23-2022, 06:31 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Houston is just playing really well and well managed. Yankees not playing well and not well managed.
Phillies looking pretty good but they will lose to Houston
Changes coming for the Yankees

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-23-2022, 08:40 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
He was a poor choice in the first place. Other than hitting a home run in 2003, I'm not sure what the Yankees saw in him; he went from playing, to being talking head, to managing, with no intermediate managerial or coaching experience. As a Red Sox fan, I'm not complaining, but I can see why Yankees fans want a change.

Last edited by egri; 10-23-2022 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:46 AM
Dave

Quote:
Yes......but those teams at least showed up.

I never recall a team in a post season series striking out 17 times in 1 game, 4 hits and 13 K's in another game, and 11 K's & only 1-hit (into the 9th) in another game.

They are 1 game away from having the worst post season series performance by a single team of all time!!!!

If this was a fight, they'd stop it.

I only know this because I just listed a ticket on Ebay, but the 1966 Dodgers got shut out 3 times in 4 games in the World Series against the Orioles. Got a grand total of 2 runs and 14 hits in 4 games.

I know. Yankees aren't doing much better.

I didn't really have high hopes for them. The way they played the 2nd half of the year, I think it's a miracle they got by Cleveland.

Cashman had a poor year even though they had a great 1st half. Just about every trade they made backfired. Benitendi and Montas ended up being busts. Bader, by some miracle became their lone post-season bright spot, even though he did absolutely nothing during the regular season. Carpenter was a good pick-up, but as soon as he got hurt, he was worse then useless.

I expect Cashman to sign Benitendi to a Jacob Ellsbury type contract, and let Judge go elsewhere, once the season is over.

....and yes, we Yankees fans whine a lot and are pretty insufferable sometimes. I thought it hilarious Yankees fans were mobbing up after the game in support of Michael Kays rant about Boone taking Gerrit Cole out of the game "early"????.....as if it would have made a damn bit of difference.

I love how armchair managers are ready and willing to take a managers head off, the second they leave a guy in for one batter too many, or one batter not enough, as if they had any additional insight about the pitching situation on the team.

Michael Kay is at the head of the class of both armchair managers AND insufferable fans. The best off-season move they could make is to get rid of that clown once and for all, and quiet the airwaves just a little tiny bit.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:14 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:

Mattingly's available...hmmmm

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-23-2022, 12:11 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Mattingly's available...hmmmm

Same Yankee fans who've been pining for Mattingly to become their manager for decades now, will be tearing him apart on-line the 2nd he loses 3 games in a row.

I love Donnie Baseball, but not sure what makes him qualified to be the Yankees manager. Dodgers fans hated him the 5 years he was there, and he's managed a pretty horrible Marlins team the 7 years he was there.

Is he now a wizened old veteran, similar to Joe Torre and Casey Stengel, when the Yanks picked them up to be their manager?
Old 10-23-2022, 12:31 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Same Yankee fans who've been pining for Mattingly to become their manager for decades now, will be tearing him apart on-line the 2nd he loses 3 games in a row.

I love Donnie Baseball, but not sure what makes him qualified to be the Yankees manager. Dodgers fans hated him the 5 years he was there, and he's managed a pretty horrible Marlins team the 7 years he was there.

Is he now a wizened old veteran, similar to Joe Torre and Casey Stengel, when the Yanks picked them up to be their manager?
They did make the playoffs in 2020 - I agree though, I don't see him as their next manager. I hear Girardi is available...
Old 10-23-2022, 12:44 PM
James M.

Boone and Cashman are a packaged deal. Girardi was fired because he didn't want to take orders. If Boone is gone, that means Cashman will probably be gone short after.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Losing to a superb Astros team isn't exactly a failed season, are there other issues with Boone?

Old 10-23-2022, 12:56 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Losing to a superb Astros team isn't exactly a failed season, are there other issues with Boone?
Disappointing season by Yankee standards, I would say.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Disappointing season by Yankee standards, I would say.
Why? They won the division, won a series, and ran into probably the best team in baseball.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:13 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Why? They won the division, won a series, and ran into probably the best team in baseball.
That's certainly a fair way to look at it. Having grown up with NY sports radio, though, I think there will be some pressure to make some changes
Old 10-23-2022, 01:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
That's certainly a fair way to look at it. Having grown up with NY sports radio, though, I think there will be some pressure to make some changes
Nor is it exactly a dominant team. I didn't follow them day to day until the Judge push at the very end, but from a casual fan's perspective it seems he did well.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:09 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Long night....time to go to sweep.....I mean sleep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (24.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 10-23-2022, 10:36 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Sadly yes both of these 2 series (ALCS and NLCS) were not close and not entertaining.
Hopefully we get a good World Series

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-24-2022, 12:10 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Where do you all think Judge ends up?
Old 10-24-2022, 12:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Boston I hope.

Old 10-24-2022, 12:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Inning over. Game over. Series over. Season over. Yankees lose.

TH-E_E_E_E_E_E_E_E_E_E_E_E_E_E_E_E Yankees lose.

Old 10-24-2022, 12:51 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Boston I hope.
Oooh, I like it. Signing him to a megadeal doesn't seem very Chaim Bloom-like, though....
Old 10-24-2022, 12:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Oooh, I like it. Signing him to a megadeal doesn't seem very Chaim Bloom-like, though....
Chaim may need to rethink things after this year's disaster.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:00 PM
Dave

Quote:
I think Yankees basically give him a legacy contract. Minimum 8 years $320 Million.

Same fans who roasted Cashman for not signing him last year, will be calling for Cashman's head when Judge is no longer able to live up to the contract 4 years from now.

Yankees will have to shed a lot of veterans in the next couple of years to stay within shouting distance of the cap like they like to do lately, and they will hope a few of their prospects develop to pick up the slack.

They're already committed to both Stanton (sigh!!) and Cole through 2028, and we know Stanton is un-tradeable at this point.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:18 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Sadly yes both of these 2 series (ALCS and NLCS) were not close and not entertaining.
Hopefully we get a good World Series
I may be a little biased as a Phillies fan, but not sure how you can say the NLCS wasn't entertaining, and even though the Phillies won it 4-1, 3 of the games were decided by 2 runs or less, the other 2 games had big leads and big comebacks (and several lead changes in game 4), and game 5 was won by one of the more dramatic moments in playoff history with Harper's 8th inning home run. Again, I'm a Phillies fan, but I would think there was enough in this series to keep any baseball fan entertained.