NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Default Mother of all Shuffleboard Trophies

photo ShuffleboardTrophy18Inch_zps3dd3165e.jpg

photo 2ShuffleboardTrophyLowerView_zps4e7a7c15.jpg

photo 3Plate_zps78522908.jpg

photo 3ShuffleboardTrophyBack_zps8cafcd42.jpg

Picked this up yesterday off eBay...I remember a couple years ago when the discussion of allowing all sports was discussed and allowed with a few exceptions like "no curling"....this should stretch the boundaries once more...

It's 18" wide, weighs 10 lb. and the base appears to be made of the same laminated wood as the tables are made of. I was nervous about it making it undamaged. Fortunately the seller seems like he can handle packing it...I spoke to him by phone and he will send it with the table removed with the table and base in two separate boxes...When I first saw it I thought it was a salesman's sample...but the plate on the front though unengraved pretty much identifies it as a trophy...plus the seller said he saw another that was engraved/awarded...Commisioned by the American Shuffleboard League, Union City N.J.....which was likley put together by a shuffleboard table comapny to promote shuffleboard...I would guesstimate it to be from about the late 1940's...maybe 1950's.

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 03-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

very cool! Congratulations on your find!
Old 03-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Keith O'Leary

Very cool. American IS the Brunswick of shuffleboard.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Clint

Very cool Carlton. Love pieces like this.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Mike H.

Very impressive piece Carlton!!! I would venture that it is not only the mother of all shuffleboard trophies, but it's probably the only shuffleboard trophy LOL.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
.I remember a couple years ago when the discussion of allowing all sports was discussed and allowed with a few exceptions like "no curling"...
No curling? No curling? Sacrilege, especially only three days after The Briar!!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:49 PM

Default Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
No curling? No curling? Sacrilege, especially only three days after The Briar!!

Thanks all for the approval....when you drop hundreds on a shuffleboard trophy you need it LOL

Sorry about that Max....it must have been "no canasta"....hey nice book

No Mike it's not the only one...naner naner LOL...sounds like you need to brush up on your shuffleboard trophies

Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Keith O'Leary

I'm not so sure this is a trophy.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:03 AM

photo 1GalleryTagged_zps09c86a0a.jpg

The seller confirmed my concern the base was very heavy so I asked him to remove the table from the base to keep it from getting damaged in shipment....Matter fact I went over how to pack it since it looked so fragile...One of the main things to keep an item from damage is wedging...that is after it's wrapped in bubble wrap or what ever it has to be wedged into the box with padding (wadded up paper, not useless peanuts) so it can't shift...not too tight and not too loose...The centrifugal force to a loose item in a box when dropped can cause more damage to an item than one that is wedged. Anyway....wow the seller did a fantastic pack job...one of the best I've seen and it got here in perfect condition...Tonight I got around to screwing the table back down on the base and got it installed in my collection....

The detail is much finer that I expected...the maroon colored table and the painted yellow trim is really striking when you examine it close and the table isn't wooden like I thought but metal...It seems like it's got tobacco smoke stains on it like it was in a smokey bar a long time.....And it's definitely old...has a little grime built up in the corners. The seller said the lady he got it from was about 90 years old and owned bars in St Louis..The eBay listing was wrong when it said it was 18" wide...it's actually 19 3/4" wide

photo 2UpperShot_zps1db2b691.jpg

photo 3LeftSide_zps34c9f343.jpg

photo 4RightSide_zps2eb0dfca.jpg

photo 5TopLeft_zpsd17834d9.jpg

photo 6TopRight_zps92a49924.jpg

photo 7Engraving_zps48075dee.jpg

Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 PM

It's beautiful Carlton, a great piece.

Keith, above, said he wasn't so sure it was a trophy. I agree. Looks more like a salesmans sample produced by the manufacturer. Having said that, i'm not at all familiar with shuffleboard trophies. A cursory google look only returned one picture that looked like yours and it was yours, so no help there.

Have you seen others like this?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Never mind Carlton. I just found the Hanks Cafe one that sold last year. It really is a trophy. Very cool.