NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-09-2022, 12:36 PM

Default Collecting Boxes & Packs - the Future?

I know there are those out there that collect unopened packs and boxes. Just wondering your thoughts regarding the future of unopened packs and boxes. Is this the new wave of collecting? I've noticed the selling prices for unopened items skyrocket over the last few years.

By the way, I'm referring to modern era boxes and packs, let's say from 1980 to current.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:48 PM

Modern unopened is a big money market but it can only last as long as the chase players continue to make it worth chasing the product.

But even then, it's not hard to see the bottom falling out. For example, some of Soto's big rookie autos were redemptions. They have since expired.

When you look at pretty much every other player not named Mike Trout, their sky high prospect values have plummeted. You can buy Bowman first auto rookies of guys like Verlander / Kershaw / Goldschmidt / Mauer etc. for pretty cheap. I mean, there's an SGC 10 / 9 of Goldschmidt on eBay right now for $450. Sounds like a lot, but not when guys who are in A ball now command over a grand.

In the end, I would choose not to invest in modern unopened because it'll always be at its highest value a few years out from when it was released. And then decline over time after unless there's a Tom Brady / Mike Trout level talent that year.

Last edited by packs; 09-09-2022 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Modern unopened is a big money market but it can only last as long as the chase players continue to make it worth chasing the product.

But even then, it's not hard to see the bottom falling out. For example, some of Soto's big rookie autos were redemptions. They have since expired.

When you look at pretty much every other player not named Mike Trout, their sky high prospect values have plummeted. You can buy Bowman first auto rookies of guys like Verlander / Kershaw / Goldschmidt / Mauer etc. for pretty cheap. I mean, there's an SGC 10 / 9 of Goldschmidt on eBay right now for $450. Sounds like a lot, but not when guys who are in A ball now command over a grand.

In the end, I would choose not to invest in modern unopened because it'll always be at its highest value a few years out from when it was released. And then decline over time after unless there's a Tom Brady / Mike Trout level talent that year.
Great observation and insight. What are your thoughts about early 90s boxes and packs - especially football and basketball?
Old 09-10-2022, 05:31 PM
Jason Dean Martin

I'll give my thoughts but will give some insight into my unopened collection first. My collection is significant, maybe not in value but definitely in quantity. I started around 2014/15 and basically try to get one of everything possible (mostly retail or lower end hobby). But, when you do this for multiple sports, the number of packs adds up quickly. I easily have 1,000+ unopened packs from what feels like everything under the sun.

Now, my opinion on this.

Since the price increases from Panini, Topps, etc at the retail level, my collecting has tapered off. When it was $20 a blaster I could easily justify the price because I was getting 4-10 packs per blaster for that $20. However, now that many Panini blasters are $35, I cant justify that price. While, I'm not a hit seeker, I still like to somewhat get my money's worth in some shape or form. But, when you increase the price of a box by 75%, it's that much harder to get your money's worth.

I also collect toys and wrestling figures. Many of those figures were roughly $20 pre-pandemic but have now since raised to $22-24. That I can justify and it doesn't hurt the wallet as much. So, more of my money has been put in that direction.

Unopened wax will always be a thing. I just think the pandemic-era stuff has nowhere to go but down. Retailers are not selling boxes like they once were and I'm even seeing lower prices at card shows. We had the boom. Next is the bust and it's just a matter of time.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:47 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

I sold all of my unopened boxes this last year....mostly baseball 1980-2020...and got stupid money for them all. I wouldn't change a thing. Even sold a bowman 2000 football for like $4K+...why? people want graded cards...or investmenst? Makes very little sense to me. Take 1980 Topps...really only the Henderson is of any value in that set and you can easily get an ungraded one that looks like an "8" or so...for BV...and the odds of getting one in a wax box are what???...80%ish...so why do the boxes go for $3500-5000?.....buy 20 NrMy sets for that

Same with the 82 set....

maybe with vingtage the graded return on stuff makes more sense...but 80 and newer ....can't reconcile it...

Or even worse.....$180 for a pack....not to rag on thers...but complete waste of money IMO

Last edited by isiahfan; 09-10-2022 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:32 PM
Jason Dean Martin

You're right. I see buying newer boxes for chance at parallels. But, buying the older stuff.....BUY THE CARD YOU WANT AND SKIP THE BOX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiahfan View Post
I sold all of my unopened boxes this last year....mostly baseball 1980-2020...and got stupid money for them all. I wouldn't change a thing. Even sold a bowman 2000 football for like $4K+...why? people want graded cards...or investmenst? Makes very little sense to me. Take 1980 Topps...really only the Henderson is of any value in that set and you can easily get an ungraded one that looks like an "8" or so...for BV...and the odds of getting one in a wax box are what???...80%ish...so why do the boxes go for $3500-5000?.....buy 20 NrMy sets for that

Same with the 82 set....

maybe with vingtage the graded return on stuff makes more sense...but 80 and newer ....can reconcile it...

Or even worse.....$180 for a pack....not to rag on thers...but complete waste of money IMO
Old 09-11-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiahfan View Post

Same with the 82 set....

maybe with vingtage the graded return on stuff makes more sense...but 80 and newer ....can't reconcile it...

hard to argue with any of this. when gettiing back into collecting a few years ago, i made a few mistakes on purchases. fortunately most of those mistakes were minor, and when the boom happened, pretty much evened out or profited on them.

the one i'd do over is buying a 1986 OPC hockey unopened box to try and treasure hunt for a patrick roy rookie. while it was fun, it was very costly. did end up selling off half the packs along with the actual box and some freebies i got. also graded a few cards and did well on them. but still lost a few hundred bucks. definitely a good lesson.